PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know Winchesters real well ?

Jack Stanley
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
A fella at work may be trying to sell his grandfathers lever action soon . All I know right now is that the rifle is chambered in 32 special and his grandpa passed away fifteen years ago .

What I think is correct , Winchester stopped chambering in 32 special back in the seventies .

Nickle steel Winnies sell for a little more .

And finnaly some of the prices on gunbroker are huge !

He described the gun to me and I guessed it should sell between $350 and seven hundred bucks depending on what it is . He offered to bring it by and let me look at it so I'll have a better idea about condition .

Any ideas about the value of the older ninety-fours ?

He got an 870 as well , I'm not sure just what I'll find with that one .

He wants to sell them for Grammy without getting fleeced and wants me to price them for him .

Thanks , Jack

onceabull
09-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Jack S.: There is a small chance that the rifle in ? is a winnie mdl 64 or 55, or a pre-WWII model 94 rifle (not carbine), if so the $ range mentioned might be low.ESPECIIALLY for a model 64 in orig.Carbine configuration,with high condition.. .. :) Onceabull

Blammer
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
if you have some pics and the serial number that will go a long ways in telling what you have.

barrel lenght, Angle eject, top eject, straight stock, C-stock, etc...

PM me or call me I have a few reference books I can look stuff up in..

scb
09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Jack, I do know that there is no way to give even a ballpark guess with what little info you've got now. Is it a; rifle, or a carbine, saddle ring or eastern, solid frame or a takedown, model 94 or 64, round or octagon barrel, any custom options, bolt peep or high grade wood. I've even had folks refer to HiWalls as lever actions which I guess from some point of view it is. The serial number will at least get you the date of mfg. Steve

KCSO
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Jack
When you get it hold it up to the computer screen and I'll tell you. In 94's yu need to judge age, condition, model, special features, ect. Has the gun been refinished? Are there parts replacment. I bought a 32 Special a while back for $250.00 and I was fair with the seller. That same gun unmodified with all original parts in very good to excellent condition would have brought $750 at least. I won't put a positive value on any gun for someone till I have it in my hands and under the lights. If it has a good bore $300 to start wouldn't be out of line. The 32 is THE cast bullet rifle.

Jack Stanley
09-23-2007, 08:13 PM
KCSO , better than holding it up to the computer screen , I might just offer it on the shopper page and remind y'all the it's a widows rifle . [smilie=1: I most certainly would get as much info about it as I can . An eastern model ? ..... without the saddle ring right ?
I think my co-worker said it was a model 94 , if it was a 64 I'm sure more dollars would be called for . I forgot about serial number checking but I will be looking at bore and finish of it . He may even print a couple pictures but then ... I could steer him to the website instead of the auction if you guys got an interest . As well as the 32 SPL may shoot cast , I really don't want to add another caliber . I'll let you know what I find out .

Jack