PDA

View Full Version : question for Fin, hornet brass

Bullshop
08-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Dear Mr. Fin, Sir
If you were so inclined perhaps you would help me. I am trying to find some European brass for the 22 hornet. Yes we have no shortage of hornet brass here but there is another reason. I once had some Norma hornet brass that had much smaller flash holes than our US made brass. I am quite convinced that with my cast boolit loads which by the way are the only kind I shoot in it were more consistantly accurate with the smaller flash holes. I have contacted Norma and was told they no longer make hornet brass. I do not know for shure but think other brands made in europe may likewise have the smaller flash hole but I am having no luck on this end finding them. So my question is do you have any euro made hornet brass available where you are? If yes would it be possible for me to purchase some through you. Perhaps a box as a sample that I might find out if there is a difference between it and US made brands. I dont know how I could measure some of what I have so we could just compair notes. Perhaps you already know the answer. If not a hornet then perhaps the 5.56 Vierling ( not shure if that is right) but mean the one that is the same as the 22 wcf. I don't know if you saw the target I posted last winter, it was a nice tight little cluster of ten at 100 yards fired with my last well worn Norma cases. Many thanks for your help on this matter. I am just trying to get an edge on BS JR. he is getting tough to beat. Just our secret OK dont let him know.
BIC/BS

Scrounger
08-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Dear Mr. Fin, Sir
If you were so inclined perhaps you would help me. I am trying to find some European brass for the 22 hornet. Yes we have no shortage of hornet brass here but there is another reason. I once had some Norma hornet brass that had much smaller flash holes than our US made brass. I am quite convinced that with my cast boolit loads which by the way are the only kind I shoot in it were more consistantly accurate with the smaller flash holes. I have contacted Norma and was told they no longer make hornet brass. I do not know for shure but think other brands made in europe may likewise have the smaller flash hole but I am having no luck on this end finding them. So my question is do you have any euro made hornet brass available where you are? If yes would it be possible for me to purchase some through you. Perhaps a box as a sample that I might find out if there is a difference between it and US made brands. I dont know how I could measure some of what I have so we could just compair notes. Perhaps you already know the answer. If not a hornet then perhaps the 5.56 Vierling ( not shure if that is right) but mean the one that is the same as the 22 wcf. I don't know if you saw the target I posted last winter, it was a nice tight little cluster of ten at 100 yards fired with my last well worn Norma cases. Many thanks for your help on this matter. I am just trying to get an edge on BS JR. he is getting tough to beat. Just our secret OK dont let him know.
BIC/BS

You can buy RWS .22 Hornet brass at Fred Huntington's. A buck apiece!

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_rws.html

Finn45
08-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I am just trying to get an edge on BS JR. he is getting tough to beat. Just our secret OK dont let him know.
BIC/BS

:lol:

Dear Sir,

Don't know how much it costs there, but we have 22% VAT in every stuff, so it makes some difference... I just checked couple of sellers and other lists Win brass but no Sako or Lapua. Other seller lists Sako .22Hornet brass 74E per 100 (about $92 today), so it's not cheap by any means. They surely are available, but actual on the shelf availability and prices may vary... I'll search more and help with samples if You need them.

I'm only aware that older Sako 7.62x53R brass is with very small flash hole; way too small actually, because for example depriming pin in my RCBS dies wont work without considerable thinning. I drilled them out after first depriming to avoid extra hassle in the future.

XBT
08-14-2005, 01:25 PM
You might want to try some Sellier&Bellot. Someone gave me a box of fired S&B hornet brass recently and I found the flash hole was too small for a standard de-priming pin.

Bullshop
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
You might want to try some Sellier&Bellot. Someone gave me a box of fired S&B hornet brass recently and I found the flash hole was too small for a standard de-priming pin.
wana sell um ?

XBT
08-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Bullshop, I threw the S&B stuff out so it wouldn’t get mixed with my other brass. I wish I had known you wanted it….

I don’t know if you can order the brass only, but you can get S&B Hornet cartridges from www.jgsales.com