PDA

View Full Version : Primers & Powder

Down South
06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I got 10,000 Win LP primers in yesterday from Powder Valley. It only cost me one arm after Hazmat and shipping but I don't have to worry about LP primers for a few weeks, errrrr, well maybe a bit longer than that.
I did run into a guy who sells reloading supplies locally and he has powder and primers. He will drop off at my office too. I asked for SP primers and he claims to have a order of CCI just in so I ask about purchasing 5000 SP. He says, no problem, he can drop them off Monday for $29 Per K. So I ask about powders and he names off several that I use that he has in stock. I ask about Bullseye and he said, all ya want. But he only has it in one and four lb containers. The four lb canisters go for $59. I told him to bring a couple of those too.
I don't know where this guy gets his stock from but he seems to keep it. I've talked to him several times at the range in the past few months and he always has stock and at good prices "At least most of today's prices". Plus getting it dropped off at the office is a big plus too.

John Allen
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
That is great to hear. I have about 10K of small pistol on order from Powder Valley hope to see them soon myself.

Cmemiss
06-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Can you PM me his contact info. Is the club PSC or the other one? Thanks.

300savage
06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I would appreciate his contact info as well ,if you would not mind.

9w1911
06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
its all stolen goods from new orleans,,,haha kidding kidding Im from nola,

Down South
06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Let me ask him if he minds his contact being given out before I do. I don't believe he would mind since he gave me a business card but I would rather ask first.

richhodg66
06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Powder Valley is a good outfit to do business with. Fortunately for me, they're only about two hours away and I go through there now and then on my way south, so I can pick up and avoid the hazmat.

I need to lay in some more powder and primers.

mold maker
06-06-2013, 05:57 PM
If we're patient just a little longer, the madness will dissipate and there will be stock on the shelves most everywhere.
Then the prices will come down to the new normal.

mroliver77
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
If we're patient just a little longer, the madness will dissipate and there will be stock on the shelves most everywhere.
Then the prices will come down to the new normal.

There will be a new crisis to take advantage of. I feel it in me bones!
J

375supermag
06-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi...

I stopped at one of the LGS on the way home from work to check for some rifle die sets. They didn't have what I was looking for...

The .22LR shelf remains bare as it has been since before Christmas except for .22shotshells.
Lots of .17HMR. The was some rifle and handgun ammo available in most popular calibers except 9mm.
Jacketed bullets were in good supply from 4-5 manufacturers...Hornady HP/XTPs still not available in .357 or .41 regardless of bullet weight.
The primer shelf had a decent selection of types available with a 1K limit per day per customer as it has been for months. $35.99/thousand for CCI primers.
I didn't buy any...I have about 10K on hand and about another 4K in primed bass.

Powders were available in quite a varied selection from several manufacturers. I lb containers only. I don't need any powder right now...unless it is a good deal on 8lb kegs. I didn't look at the price...last I bought about a month ago was c. $19/lb.

The handgun case had very few new revolvers, a couple of used revolvers(not particularly good prices nor particularly desirable pieces)) and a decent selection of semi-autos. The long gun racks were well-stocked.

hardy
06-07-2013, 07:51 PM
There will be a new crisis to take advantage of. I feel it in me bones!
JWell blow me down with a feather if somebody didn,t shoot up a Santa Monica Campus
with His Holiness the Dope only three blocks away.How,s that for coincidence???

ncbearman
06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I paid $39 (plus tax) for 1000 SR primers today. Still would only allow 1 box per customer. Wish I had a source like downsouth

Cmemiss
06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I stopped in to Gander Mountain (can I post the name?) in N Houston and found tons of shotgun ammo as well as some decent prices of range 9 mm, .38/357, and .40 S&W, but the only 10 mm was priced at $40 per box. I didn't pay too much attention to rifle but they had more than I have seen as many other stores i.e. Bass Pro, Academy, Wal-Mart.

Down South
06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I've stopped in there a time or two recently and they do seem to have better stocked shelves than most. They even had some 5.56 the last time I was there.

Kraschenbirn
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Kinda odd here. LGS and farm stores can't seem to get .22s...plenty of shotgun and some factory rifle and handgun but no .22s...while our 'Big Box' sporting goods has plenty of CCI Mini-Mags and Standard Velocity LRs. A bit on the pricy side but, at least, they've got 'em.

Gunshow and auction prices seem to be backing down a little, too. Went to an estate sale yesterday and prices for guns and loaded ammo were still bonkers but SOME of the reloading stuff was halfway reasonable...a bit more, perhaps, than online prices but no sales tax, shipping, or hazmat. I got a 4-pounder of Unique for $60 and a two 1-pounders of Blue Dot for $40. On the other hand, components for ARs, AK/SKS, and 7.62x51 sold for just flat outrageous numbers. Same story for ammo...both reloads and factory...milsurp .223 for $1/round and 9mm FMJ reloads for $50-$60/100.

Bill

Blacksmith
06-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Stopped at my favorite LGS today among other things I got a pound of Unique $22.99, brick of CCI Quiet $36.99, and #10 caps at $5.99 a tin (another LGS has them at $4.99 but they were available). Prices are shelf price so add plus 6% sales tax minus 3% for cash. He also had other .22's, powders and primers etc. on the shelves but I left them for everyone else.

km101
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
How are you guys ordering supplies from Powder Valley? They haven't had anything listed as in stock for months, and they are not accepting back-orders. So how/why are they staying so busy that they are 3-4 weeks behind on shipping. Surely they have run through the back-orders that they had taken before they stopped taking BO?

If everything is out of stock, what are they shipping? Just wondering!!

mikeyjones
06-10-2013, 09:24 AM
How are you guys ordering supplies from Powder Valley? They haven't had anything listed as in stock for months, and they are not accepting back-orders. So how/why are they staying so busy that they are 3-4 weeks behind on shipping. Surely they have run through the back-orders that they had taken before they stopped taking BO?

If everything is out of stock, what are they shipping? Just wondering!!

They get sporadic shipments in. A few weeks ago they sold 10 mil primers in 2 hours. I've been able to place 2 orders with them in the last 2 months and they've taken about a month to ship out.

Down South
06-10-2013, 11:58 AM
They get sporadic shipments in. A few weeks ago they sold 10 mil primers in 2 hours. I've been able to place 2 orders with them in the last 2 months and they've taken about a month to ship out.
Yes, I lucked up on one of those deals where primers were in stock at best, for a few hrs. I made an order and had it in about two weeks.

TXGunNut
06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
I scored a pound of 3031 @ Cabelas yesterday, first powder I've bought in awhile. A LGS had several varieties on the shelf, just nothing I wanted. Cabelas even had a small stash of primers.
Things will be spotty for another month or so, unless this Santa Monica thing goes viral.

snuffy
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I scored a pound of 3031 @ Cabelas yesterday, first powder I've bought in awhile. A LGS had several varieties on the shelf, just nothing I wanted. Cabelas even had a small stash of primers.
Things will be spotty for another month or so, unless this Santa Monica thing goes viral.

I too was @ Cabellas yesterday, on the way back from the VA in Mil. They had NO sp primers. A few boxes of factory loaded Herters 9mm and some 40's and 45's. What I DID find that surprised me was 115 grain Berrys plated 9mm! $27.99 for 250 in those nice plastic boxes. I didn't look for 22's, and just glanced at powder supplies, which was less than half of the spaces had cans in them. I was not shopping for anything other than bullets.

Yes I do make my owns boolits for 9mm, but for matches, sometimes the smoke is enough to obscure the target. Practice though is where the cast is used.

Dale in Louisiana
06-11-2013, 05:53 PM
OMG! I'm a HOARDER!

Either that or a guy in serious need of keeping track of his inventory. I saw some primers for $34/thousand and bought five to sort of break up that hazmat fee to something reasonable.

The UPS guy just dropped 'em off and I went back there to put 'em on a shelf. In order to make room I had to push another 5000 out of the way.

I'm fixed. Don't think I'll need primers any more and may put some in the will to my son.

dale in Louisiana

Down South
06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't believe that I would call that hoarding. For a shooter, It's what I call normal stock. I've always bought in volume to spread the Hazmat and shipping costs out so I could still get what I wanted at a decent deal. I may go through 500 rounds in a week sometimes. Then my kids "Grown of course" and "Close" neighbors, I've gave away maybe 1000 loaded rounds in the past few months.

otter5555
06-11-2013, 08:15 PM
OMG! I'm a HOARDER!

Either that of a guy in serious need of keeping track of his inventory. I saw some primers for $34/thousand and bought five to sort of break up that hazmat fee to something reasonable.

The UPS guy just dropped 'em off and I went back there to put 'em on a shelf. In order to make room I had to push another 5000 out of the way.

I'm fixed. Don't think I'll need primers any more and may put some in the will to my son.

dale in Louisiana

that's not hoarding. that's good sense if you're a shooter. i bought 100,000 + mixed primers when clinton was elected and have grinned every day since :)

i've replaced every primer i've used since then and intend to keep my stock at that level. all my firearms,reloading equipment and supplies are in my will. when i'm gone my son will be set for the rest of his life.

Tonto
06-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Was in Gander Mtn's new super gun store here and turned tail after a loop, no components to speak of and high prices on everything else, place was empty of customers. Quick trip to Cabelas and they had more powder and even some primers....CCI small pistol $39.99 and SR bench rest at $64.99 per thousand. Limit two boxes and two pounds, 22 CCI MINI MAG 22LR 100/8.99 and a ton of AR MAGS, even pmags at 14.99. Seems as each month passes, more slips onto the shelves. I hope 39/1000 isn't the new normal.

Down South
06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I hope prices come back down too as stock levels increase.

375supermag
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi...
I dropped by a gun show here in York,Pa this morning for a few hours.
It was crowded but nothing like the last couple have been. At least my son and I could walk through the aisles at this show.

It seems like the price of firearms has fallen somewhat back to near pre-panic levels.
Powders and primers were available at a couple of stands. 1lb containers of Bullseye powder were running at $18.99 each. There were some powders missing from the tables...I didn't see any 296, 2400 or Unique. What primers I saw were well above average retail in these parts. Primers have been running $31-$32 per thousand locally.
There were quite a few dealers offering 22LR for around $8 per hundred pack. Some 325-rd bulk packs were available at around $35 each. I saw several 500-525 bulk packs at $46-49 each.

I am in good shape powder, primer and 22LR -wise so I left all of that on the tables for others.

We stopped at a couple of LGS after the show. No 22LR available except high-dollar target grade stuff. Handgun powder shelves were empty, some primers in most styles (but not all manufacturers) were available...quantity per day per customer restrictions still in force.

Hornady bullets seem to be back on the shelves in some limited quanties. Seeing more and more die sets in the shops. Most calibers of ammunition seem to be available with quantity per day per customer restrictions...prices remain well above pre-panic levels.

I looked REAL hard at one of those Stg44 replicas in .22LR. Price was abot $560 or so.
I have no idea what it would be good for other than burning up my stash of .22LR bulk packs, but it sure is a neat looking little hole puncher.
If it was avilable in a centerfire caliber, say .308, I would have one right now.

frkelly74
06-30-2013, 08:42 AM
On Target in Kalamazoo has powder and primers. Schantz Supply in Otsego has mucho powders and primers in stock. Haven't checked 22 lately , I am still using up my stash that has $.85 per 50 price tags on it. When those are gone I will use into my other stash that has $1.19 per 50 price tags on it.