PDA

View Full Version : Another mystery lead

TheCounty
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
My father-in-law salvaged some large old "Thermopane" windows, and the outside sealing material appeared to be soft lead. Melted down a couple of pounds, fluxed, cleaned, & cast into 3/4" x 1" x 4" ingots. The lead is dark throughout with no usual shine and the ingots break in half easily and appear to have a granular fine sand like texture. Not sure what I'm into, but fortunately did not contaminate any good lead and cleaned out melter thoroughly after. Temperature when casting was same as when casting nice shiny wheel weights.
Thoughts welcome.
Cheers
TheCounty

w5pv
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
You probley have the old white lead putty,I have never melted any and don't know what it has in it.It was used to seal the paynes and hold the glass in.I remember that it was in a putty and. I think linseed oil in it to keep it moist untilled used.The enviormentalist of the day claimed that it was giving kids lead poison because they were eating it.I know of no lead poison cases here.

TheCounty
06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Definitely not the putty you mention, been there. This was strip metal in an extruded profile with lettering embossed or roll stamped. I expect mostly lead but not sure of the alloy or if it can be salvaged. As is, there is no way I'll be making bullets of it. I've actually used that putty back in the early '70's and yes you did use linseed oil to soften it. Still have a very old 2 gallon can of straight linseed oil (not boiled).
Cheers
TheCounty