PDA

View Full Version : Id help, an old mold

68 couper
09-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey guys,
An old timer who works with me at a gun shop with me has given me a 44 mould as a donation to my new casting hobby. The mould has no manufacturer markings on it except the id code. The Id is D-429-770. It's a steel 2 gang that looks like a Kieth boolit. I'll also need to find out what handles will work on it also.

Thanks,
Couper

floodgate
09-23-2007, 12:07 AM
68 couper:

The ID code gives it away; it is a Modern-Bond mould. It should have fairly fancy, bulbous-shaped handles in black lacquer finish; I THINK I have a spare set, though they are a bit rough (PM me on this if you'd like them, and if I can find them - are the handle screws present? (one serves as the sprue-plate pivot, the other as a stop; and they are locked by screws entering from the front or back of each block). The code is: D - the fourth design in their ,44 caliber series (A, B, C, D....); diameter - 0.429" (should cast a bit over that, to allow for sizing), and - here's the kicker! - overall length - 0.770". It was made from about 1936 through the end of production in the 1950s. It is a SWC Plain Base designed by Fred C. Ness (Technical Editor at the "Rifleman" for many years), with a broad meplat and a steep tapered nose with very narrow WC shoulder; more like a Boser than a Keith design. Weight is stated to be 230 grains in 1:20 tin/lead.

floodgate

crazy mark
09-23-2007, 12:40 AM
If floodgate can't find his set of handles let me know as I have several sets of the new style Bond handles. Mark

floodgate
09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
68 couper, crazy mark:

I found my spare M-B handles, but they are pretty tatty. Also, they are the older and somewhat cruder style, with stamped name and address and steel rivet, heavily hand-filed instead of the forged ones with raised lettering and bronze rivet. (Mark, is this what you mean by "new" vs. "old"?). I suggest you check with mark to see what he has to offer; if for some reason that doesn't pan out, get back to me and I'll work something out.

floodgate