willie_pete
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Lest we forget; The Greatest Generation

DCP
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Many gave all
All gave some

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
They gave their today

Hardcast416taylor
06-06-2013, 03:49 PM
It saddens me that to a great many people June 6 is just another day in the year to get thru.Robert

captaint
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Our guys on the beaches of France certainly had a day to get through....And they, most of them, did. Mike

DCP
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Invasion Date

June 6, 1944 – The D in D-Day stands for “day” since the final invasion date was unknown and weather dependent

Allied Forces

156,000 Allied troops from The United States, The United Kingdom, Canada,Free France and Norway

Areas of Invasion

The Allied code names for the beaches along the 50-mile stretch of Normandy coast targeted for landing were Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. Omaha was the costliest beach in terms of Allied casualties.

The Armada

5,000 ships and landing craft
50,000 vehicles
11,000 planes

Commanders

United States – Dwight D. Eisenhower, Omar Bradley
The United Kingdom – Bernard Law Montgomery, Trafford Leigh-Mallory, Arthur Tedder, Miles Dempsey, Bertram Ramsay
Germany – Erwin Rommel, Gerd von Rundstedt, Friedrich Dollmann
Casualties

Numbers represent total killed, wounded, missing or captured

United States – 6,603 (1,465 killed)
United Kingdom – 2,700
Canada – 1,074 (359 fatal)Germany – Estimated between 4,000 – 9,000

The Outcome

By June 11, with the beachheads firmly secured, more than 326,000 troops had crossed with more than 100,000 tons of military equipment. Paris was liberated on August 25. Germany surrendered on May 8, 1945.

Veterans Today

The number of remaining D-Day vets is estimated anywhere between 8,000 and 60,000. The Veterans Administration has detailed numbers on total WWII vets remaining available at www.nationalww2museum.org/the-greatest-generation

Blacksmith
06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
For some truly the longest day!

Ben
06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Many gave so much.

Teddy (punchie)
06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes it is a day to respect and recall, all of the guys that were there. I did know a few that we're there now all are gone but still think about there service, they did what needed to be done.

Goatwhiskers
06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Only slightly OT, here in rehab I've had the good fortune to meet a former Marine who fought in the South Pacific, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Okanawa(sp?). Would love to have the time to sit and listen. A fine gentleman, I only told him a heartfelt thanks for his service. His kind are getting scarcer by the day. GW

Able 5
06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Bless them all...They were hard as woodpecker lips. Thirty years ago today I graduated from Airborne School and it was an honor.

km101
06-06-2013, 05:49 PM
God Bless all the many men who sacrificed all. And Thanks to all who served! Most are gone, but not forgotten!

farmallcrew
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Its very very sad about todays rush around and do this and do that. Today i wore my POW MIA hat to work. Usually I wear a CASE IH or Farmall hat. and most of my coworkers asked why did you change hats. I just shook my head, and said because im free to change my hat and there were brave men and women that have fought and are fighting for this country so I can wear a POW MIA hat on D Day or any day or that matter. I politely told them what today was, and then they understood. I work at a locally owned business, and since i started there in Feb, I have put Old Glory out side on the front porch everyday.

GOD BLESS OUR SERVICE MEN AND WOMEN PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE!!!!!

10-x
06-06-2013, 06:12 PM
+1 for every post. Bedford Va gave the most. 22 fine Bedford young men were KIA on June 6, 1944, all from Co A 116th INF 29th INF DIV. A good read on it is Alex Kershaw's "The Bedford Boys".

JeffinNZ
06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I am embarassed to say that yesterday's date (we are a day ahead) was nagging me and I forgot why. Forgive me.

10-x
06-06-2013, 06:40 PM
New Zealand did their duty in North Africa with the 8th Army fighting the Africa Corps.

Shooter
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
I had 2 Uncles at Normandy. 1 went ashore on June 6th, the other I am not sure ,as he was with artillery.
Uncle 1 was wounded, I am not sure when. I have the MAS 1936 rifle he sent back. I wondered how he got a French rifle until I learned that German reserve troops were armed with them.
I was given the rifle as a toy, no ammo to be had. A few years ago I made some cases and loaded them with boolits,I was surprised how accurate it was.
My Aunt declared all their war letters would be burned in her will. What a shame.
Yes, I live in Bedford county Virginia

chsparkman
06-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Stephen Ambrose's book on D-day is a very good account. The museum he sponsored in New Orleans is also very good.

10-x
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Here's some of my D Day collection. The cut off 105mm shell ash tray is named to the 116th, may actually been the 111th field Artillery? The other is a 40mm anti aircraft shell made into the lamp body with 2 cut of ones as ash trays.

DIRT Farmer
06-06-2013, 11:01 PM
I grew up with a Father who was there, and an Uncle who was in the island tour. I learned most of what I knew from history books as they didn't talk much about it. I did watch the Ken Burns mini series on WW-2 with Dad and when they were showing areas around the beach he could tell me what was coming up next as they filmed down a road. Apperently the vidio was still running.

hardy
06-07-2013, 12:23 AM
God Bless them All.My dear old Dad was there,Royal Navy, and some of his tales,told not boastfully,were totally
astounding.His brother drove a tank in North Africa and, after all they had seen between them, were two of the
nicest, easiest going blokes you,d ever meet.Miss them both.Respects to all who have served to maintain our freedom.Mike.

Bad Water Bill
06-07-2013, 02:01 AM
A little off topic BUT

I wore my Navy Vets cap the other day.A young (to me ) man came up and said thank you for your service,what ship were you on? I asked him the same question. I volunteered to board the Cole,help fix her up and bring her home was his answer.

We still have many brave folks stepping up.

A big THANK YOU to all who have served thru the years.

DoubleAdobe
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
+1 to all the posts. May all these fine gentlemen that served, and their progeny have peace and comfort knowing that this magnificent effort was appreciated and admired beyond mere words. It is truly awe inspiring to me the can-do spirit of these great men.