PDA

View Full Version : Herter die replacement parts

beefan
06-06-2013, 11:47 AM
A friend has broken the decapping pin in his Herter 223 die. As the pin is integral with the stem, the complete stem must be replaced. Where can replacement stems be found? Or will the stem from another brand of die work?

Thanks

TNsailorman
06-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I hope you know a really good machinest.

1hole
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Time for a Lee Universal decapper.

farmallcrew
06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
if a rod assembly can screw into the die body, by all means use it. But more than likely he is going to need to get a new (to him) set of dies. or at least the sizing die. every now and then you can find them cheap on here, or on auction sites.

Pressman
06-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Nearly all of the later Herter's dies are made by C-H. They use a straight pin like RCBS. Older sets of C-H dies re common and cheap.
Ken

Safeshot
06-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Just my experience, but all of the Herter's dies that I have had, used or seen have had a straight de-capping pin retained in the de-caping rod by a threaded sleeve. This sleeve is also the expanding plug in the rifle die and is just an undersize knurled retaining sleeve in the pistol caliber dies. The de-capping pin is similar to that in the older RCBS and CH dies. Just go to a hobby shop and purchase a 36 inch length of the proper diameter "music wire" spring stock (for a very low price). Cut to the proper lengths, it will provide you with a life-time supply of very strong and durable de-capping pins.
Good luck in your reloading efforts, Safeshot