PDA

View Full Version : Pan Bread

10-x
06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Like to see some recipe's for this. Wife used to make it back when the kids were little. Good easy bread.

jlucke69
06-07-2013, 01:33 PM
If you mean fry bread, here is my recipe

for every cup of flour add
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 of a stick of butter

For 4 people, I use
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

1 cup milk
1/2 of a stick of butter
I mix the flour, salt and baking powder together
Microwave the milk and butter for one minute
Stir the milk and butter, then mix into the dry ingredients.
Roll out with a little flour, cut and fry in Crisco until golden brown.

For desert, I mix some cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and dip the bread in when they come out.

For flat bread, use the same recipe, but do not fry it, just throw the pieces on a hot griddle until browned.

10-x
06-09-2013, 08:02 AM
IIRC, it was almost like biscuit dough, just rolled out flat and cooked on low heat in a large frying pan. I'll she if she remembers.[smilie=1:

jlucke69
06-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Similar to what I make, big difference I normally see, it that most people cut the butter or crisco into the dry ingredients. I prefer to mix it in all at once. This recipe makes good flat bread. Nice thing about it is you can flavor it any way you like. My boys prefer brown sugar and molasses and a little ginger. I roll it out and cut it into squares instead of rolling out patties. Then throw on a dry fry pan and cook until brown on either side.

10 ga
06-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Use any biscuit type dough recipe or pre mixed biscuit flour. Mix as per recipe but just make as a large biscuit and fry in a moderately hot pan or bake on a pre heated stone. It is a staple in our "camp". Flavor as you prefer with sugar, fruit, bacon, ham, fish etc... choices endless.

Shiloh
06-25-2013, 07:36 PM
We called what you are describing Darn Goods.

http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/darn-goods-135726

Shiloh

MaryB
07-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Put taco meat and fixings on, top, indian taco's that are sold at the powwow's here.

jlucke69
07-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I normally make two batches, one for desert and one for the main course. I take a can or two of black beans, chop up what ever leftover meat we have in the fridge and some Mexican spices, dump them into the leftover Crisco, mash and serve with a little cheese on top. The boys can't get enough of them.

10-x
07-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks, sounds good, will try them.