PDA

View Full Version : tested new 40 S&W loads today

johntkd
06-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Finally got my molds yesterday and cast a few hundred bullets, lubed reloaded a test round and a couple of dummies fired in the dirt no blow up, loaded another dozen using 6 gr of longshot and the 175 cast,

then 10mmshooter was awesome and kind enough to give me a few starting loads using my Bluedot powder, so on those I resized to .401 relubed and loaded a dozen. Now normally I love Bluedot its been tried and true for me from shotgun to 44 mag.
BUT my S&W sigma 40 hates them lol I had to literally walk to within 7 feet of target and squeeze of a shot to see where the hell they were hitting bottom of paper plate at 7 feet yikes so with some eyeball adjustments I got them hitting the paper at the 21 yards not very well i might add. and found all my cases about 10 feet away in almost a pile so that wasnt to bad, recoil was fine they let you know you were shooting a weapon, they did blow through a 3 1/2 thick dried dead branch, no signs of excess pressure.....that was 8 gr of blue dot

loaded up the rounds with the longshot wow huge difference in the 2 21 yards 3/4 inch low of the bullseye in the center of the paper plate and a half inch to the left had 3 shots hit and just rip that area apart had 3 direct bullseyes when i really started going for them, before that was just trying to hit the plate and watch,feel weapons reactions to the load. cases landed about 6 feet from me almost in a nice little pile, no signs of excess pressure,a touch more kick than the blue dot which is nice :) all 12 rounds hit total group was to large to say its a great round BUT i was concentrating more on the safety factors around the gun than on the bullseye, these rounds also were loaded as dropped from the mold no resize, so will have to load some resized now and see if thats an issue or not, if not then i will adjust a bit for better accuracy either up or down in charge when i have more time but at least I have some shooters to take on vacation with me next week.........disappointed in my old favorite Blue dot but hey its a part of the game......

johntkd
06-06-2013, 01:47 AM
I forgot to add no leading from either round was detected, used the lee liquid alox ( i know some of you guys are just choking now,
because you make your own better lubes, I just havent gotten to that part of this hobby yet... soon i hope

Hounddog
06-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Did you get a chance to shoot off any Longshot loads? Congrats on getting out and shooting your own reloads. I have had good luck with both tumble lube and regular lube. Lots of folks on here use tumble lube with great success, myself included. Now that I have a RCBS sizer, I just lube and size in one step.

Hounddog

johntkd
06-06-2013, 02:33 AM
yes the longshot loads were the ones that hit really well have not gotten to loading bench to try reasizing yet but my mold is dropping 401 on the 60 or so i have checked and the dozen i ran thru to test with blue dot didnt really drag except to scrape the lube off the outer surfaces.