PDA

View Full Version : Brno #4 - something different

brotherdarrell
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
This rifle is a little different than what is usually shown here. Weather permitting this is the first gun I shoot most trips to the range. Not only do I enjoy shooting it but it helps me with my technique which helps with the other rifles I shoot, scoped or not.

Technically it is a Brno model 4 standard match with match sights. It was built in 1957, 22lr chamber but not a true match chamber. The stock is for position shooting but due to bad feet, bad knees, bad hip and bad shoulder I just shoot it of the bench. It weighs a little over 11 lbs. The barrel is right at 26" and full contour. Trigger is 11 oz.

The Brno experts tell me this particular model were assembled from hand picked actions that showed the most promise of accuracy and ear-marked for competition. Soon after they were placed in storage until the late '90's when they were imported into the U.S.

I came into possession in March of last year. The cost was 4,000 cast 45 200 gr. Lee boolits. Still seems like a good deal.:D I would say that close to 85% of my shooting last year was with this rifle. I would also say that my shooting ability is several times better now than it was this time last year. It was time well spent.

I usually shoot one target first thing while the wind is down and conditions are the best of the day. This is the target from this morning, shot at 50 yards.

My 'score' is 200-14x. This is my best score to date. For perspective the 10 ring is 3/4" and the x-ring is 3/8".

There was a thread recently where the accuracy of aperture sights was asked about. My feeling is that they give up nothing to scopes when the proper target is used. I also make no claims of being an 'expert' in this discipline. There are others who can but 5 shots in one small ragged hole "in the x-ring" consistently at 50 yards. I am a mere novice and am pretty much in awe of them.

Just thought some might find this interesting.

thanks for looking

Darrell

Jack Stanley
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Darrell , I am suitably impressed with your shooting ! My "target rifle" would be nothing more than an old Mossberg I got from the CMP years ago . It does pretty well but doesn't have the class of your rifle .

Jack

shooter2
06-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice shooting. I really like your range!

Maven
06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Most impressive results, Darrell!