PDA

View Full Version : Magma Mould

L Ross
06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I hesitate to be a "fan boy" for products and companies, but sometimes I feel I should share an experience. Last week I phoned in an order to Magma Engineering for a 44-200-RNFP-FB mould. A pleasant and knowledgeable person took my call, checked inventory and told me that while there were no moulds of that design currently in stock the shop was cutting 44's next week. My new mould showed up already this Monday. I pulled it out of the box laid it on a hot plate as the pot was preheating. I had 30 lbs of ACWW in the pot and added a one lb bar of 50/50 bar solder.
Using gloves I installed the hot blocks in the Caster and went to work. Five innings of the ball game later I had 400+ bullets cast and shut down. Up in the loading room they measured .433" as advertised, were round, and both cavities matched. As I ran them through a Lathesmith .431" sizing die I found 3 rejects I set aside for remelting and had 403 keepers sporting Lar's Carnuba Red. Now to just let them "season" a week before shooting them.
Kudos to Magma for providing us with a product promptly, pleasantly, and one that requires no tweaking, modifying, or juggling to produce high quality bullets.

Duke

fredj338
06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I have many of their molds, they do make a quality product.

runfiverun
06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
and they last well.
I have had several of their molds over 20 years and gone through a couple of kids using them with no ill affects.
I have never had one pour undersized or grossly oversized either.

HATCH
06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I have never heated a mold up prior to installing them though....
I normally run my machine for about 5 mins or so, dump the ones I have cast and then just go to town. The rest are 99.9% keepers

L Ross
06-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I never used to pre-heat them either, but I have started spraying my moulds while still hot with WD-40 at the end of a casting session. Then before the next use I scrub them with very hot water and Dawn detergent. I then put the blocks on a hot plate so they are thoroughly dry and they start dropping keepers almost immediately. Just did 11 lbs. of Magma round nose 38 158 grainers tonight. I use thick gloves for the installation and I can feel the heat but do not get burned.

Duke