PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust to Freedom Group..........

Tazman1602
06-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Oh Boy. I've used this company for rebarrel work since the early 90's when Brian started the company. He did the best barrel work I've ever had done and his turnaround was always two weeks or less.

Haven't done business with him in a few years and look what I found:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/remington-arms-buys-montana-rifleman-in-kalispell/article_3f9a344e-9232-11e2-aee0-0019bb2963f4.html

Just great. Out of all the Mausers I've built for guys, I have ONE that I saved for ME THANK GOD. It's a 1909 Argentine action in 30-06 with one of Brians fluted barrels and is a true 1/4" MOA rifle with just about anything I put through it.

I have no doubt Freedom Group will ruin yet another great company..................disgusting.

Just my humble opinion.

Art

waksupi
06-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Well, they are making the Remington and DPMS barrels. So far they have hired over a hundred new people in this area, and Brian is building a new building, and expanding. I imagine there was a non-compete clause in the contract, but expect he will be producing barrels again. I hear they are going to be doing more in-house production of firearms.

pdawg_shooter
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Maybe someone there can teach Remington how to build a lever action firearm. They sure enough screwed up Marlin!

Tazman1602
06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Waksupi Brians barrels are the best of all of my custom guns, just flawless...................except for one.................which some moron let get a little hot in the blueing tank so it has a slightly red tint to it. It still shoots better than MOA.

I do know according to the article that Brian retained a portion of the business, it's just not clear exactly which part he kept or what he is going to do with it.

I waited 18 months for E.R. Shaw to barrel a Mauser action for me once, then I found Brian. Never waited more than two weeks for a turnaround after that..............

Art

waksupi
06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I inspected a lot of barrels when I was with Serengeti. The MRBC barrels were the best of the lot, finished better than Lilja. The stainless barrels always shot MOA groups first time out. Chrome moly took a few rounds to settle in, then shot same MOA as stainless.The only time we had a problem with their barrels is when they got in a bad bunch of steel from Germany. Apparently the foreign specs on steel are a bit different than here. We condemned a batch of barrels from that lot, and I recall some other large company nearly broke him, replacing all of the barrels from that bad steel.

MakeMineA10mm
06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Oh no! In my long term plans was a custom rifle built on a Model 1999 action. I'm confident FG will screw that up...

Marlin Junky
06-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I really don't understand this transaction:

...Former owner Brian Sipe declined to comment on the transaction. He still owns the Montana Firearms Group, a business adjacent to the Montana Rifleman that focuses on making a line of hunting rifles. He plans on expanding that business.

Is Remington just buying the name "Montana Rifleman" and moving some of the assests and possibly key employees to NC?

MJ

MakeMineA10mm
06-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Marlin Junky - I can't say for sure, but my impression is that the "industrial" manufacturing facility which makes the barrels and actions on production lines was sold to FG, and the part he still owns is more like a small, custom rifle building shop of just a handful of gunsmiths.