PDA

View Full Version : There is something unique about files that you should know.

Reverend Recoil
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
The file is the only tool that can reproduce it's self. Think about it. With a file you can cut a chisel. With a chisel you can cut another file. How about that? Now take this information and go out and win yourself a bar bet.

possom813
06-04-2013, 11:33 PM
nuh uh...

I'm not good enough yet, but I've been told a vertical milling machine can reproduce itself as well :kidding:

clocker
06-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Pretty sure that is the lathe instead of a milling machine.

fourarmed
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
"With iron, fire, and a rock, you can make a chisel. With iron, fire, and a chisel, you can make a file. With a file, you can make anything." Or so it says here.

bubba.50
06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
i was taught in machine shop that the lathe was the only tool that could reproduce itself.

KCSO
06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Keep them clean and use them properly and they will last forever. I stil use files that my grandfather used in 1910.

Wayne Smith
06-05-2013, 05:32 PM
So how does a lathe reproduce the flat ways??

bhop
06-06-2013, 12:38 AM
So how does a lathe reproduce the flat ways??

with a milling attachment. it replaces the toolpost and adds the Y axis

M-Tecs
06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
"With iron, fire, and a rock, you can make a chisel. With iron, fire, and a chisel, you can make a file. With a file, you can make anything." Or so it says here.

Very true. When you look back at the stone, bronze and iron age the hammer was the tool that started everthing.

Piedmont
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Al Gore reproduced himself and he is a tool.

Potsy
06-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks Piedmont.
Now I can wipe Diet Mtn. Dew off my computer screen. It's pretty rough when it shoots out your nostrils too.

Gliden07
06-06-2013, 09:48 PM
al gore reproduced himself and he is a tool.

lol!!!!!!

country gent
06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
I have files my Grandfather made in his apprenticeship, They still out cut most of the new ones. It used to be if you wanted a machine you laid up the sand and made the bed and castings then the parts. The accuracy of the shops equipment depended on the skill of the workers. We had plans for a wood lathe in my shop class. used heavy angle iron for the bed. Simple v-belt drive. Several students made them. I was using shop class to work on the work program the trade school had. Nobody teaches how to use a file hacksaw cisels or most hand tools anymore. The most preccision tool in my box is the set of hand scrappers I use.

MBTcustom
06-07-2013, 02:00 AM
There are many tools that can be used to build duplicates of themselves, but its the craftsman behind them, and how well he knows them that makes it happen.
I have used the most state of the art machine tools in the world, and made many many things, but I value my files more than the milling machine or possibly even the lathe. A good file is a thing that is hard to find. Some of them just go and go, like the energizer bunny, but rest assured, one wrong stroke will ruin a file no matter how good it is.

Piedmont, goshdam son! That was like dropping a brick on a cockroach! Nicely said.

One tip I'll give you all on files. You know how Remington 742s have all kinds of feeding troubles? You can actually fix the problem with a #2 mill bastard file, and here's how you do it:
1. vice the action in a good padded vice and make sure that it's held securely by the butstock.
2. start at the crown, and keep filing till you get to the recoil pad.
3. Done! Go buy yourself a real rifle.

bearcove
06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Evidently you can make any tool with fire and the right rocks.

Other wise we'd still be sitting in a cave throwing rocks at squirrels

nanuk
06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Other wise we'd still be sitting in a cave throwing rocks at squirrels

and what is wrong with that??? perhaps some of us think of that as a release of stress from the Daily Grind of Modern Technology!

Reverend Recoil
06-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Just fire and rocks? Those were the days when men were men and women were glad of it.

Multigunner
06-07-2013, 11:06 PM
In the sci fi parody "Galaxy Quest" theres a scene where the captain is stranded without weapons and his science officer tells him to look make a rudimentary lathe.
That line reminded me of something I'd read about the Roman Legions.
When fighting far from any civilized towns in very rough terrain that caused many chariot axles to break the Romans would construct a rudimentary lathe suited to turning axle spindles and wheel hubs by bending two trees towards each other while one end of a log was tied to each and the ropes tightly wound.
When the trees were released the log would spin as on a lathe. Not very efficient but it worked.

In old time England they had itinerant wood workers who set up shop in public parks and their main product was chair and table legs and wheel spokes.
They would duplicate any broken part brought to them using a primitive portable lathe powered by a spindle with rope wound around it and tied to a stout tree limb over head. They'd pull the limb down while winding the rope, when released the limb acted like a spring.

deltaenterprizes
06-15-2013, 08:13 PM
There are many tools that can be used to build duplicates of themselves, but its the craftsman behind them, and how well he knows them that makes it happen.
I have used the most state of the art machine tools in the world, and made many many things, but I value my files more than the milling machine or possibly even the lathe. A good file is a thing that is hard to find. Some of them just go and go, like the energizer bunny, but rest assured, one wrong stroke will ruin a file no matter how good it is.

Piedmont, goshdam son! That was like dropping a brick on a cockroach! Nicely said.

One tip I'll give you all on files. You know how Remington 742s have all kinds of feeding troubles? You can actually fix the problem with a #2 mill bastard file, and here's how you do it:
1. vice the action in a good padded vice and make sure that it's held securely by the butstock.
Good advice!

bearcove
06-15-2013, 09:36 PM
A 7'' grinder is faster

leeggen
06-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Piedmont, not Tool--- fool Al gore reproduced himself and is a fool!!!

leeggen
06-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Hey potsi, what part of Tn. you in. I'm near Dale Hollow lake at the dam end

W.R.Buchanan
06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm still *****! back at "Gore is a tool!" :goodpost:

Randy

Nickle
06-23-2013, 10:33 PM

Can't say I don't agree with that one. I've sighted enough of them in for customers to know I don't want one AND most 94 Winchesters can shoot circles around them. I'm glad I like my Remington bolt guns. And most any Winchester (any model), especially if it's pre-64.

Land Owner
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM
For some, not me of course, but for some, the file is the fastest way to find Brownell's Firearms Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools catalog.

William Yanda
06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote "Al Gore reproduced himself and he is a tool. "

But not a sharp one

randyrat
07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
For some, others may know this already...I use an empty 30-06 or similar round to clean my files..
I hammer the mouth of the empty flat and use it to clean. The brass is soft enough to develop teeth, get in between the teeth of the file and clean without damage. Always have an empty in your tool box with your files.

10-x
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Soapstone and a file card?

JIMinPHX
07-10-2013, 10:46 PM
A hammer could probably be used to make a hammer.

wbrco
07-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I can echo this. My oldest is in the S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathimatics) program in his HS. Went to meet the teacher, and the back of the classroom has a door to a machine shop complete with a *Real* Bridgeport with auto feed, a lathe that's at least 36", an edm, break and shear, along with tons of other stuff.

Teacher couldn't tell me anything about the equipment and that "nobody uses it". But they sure as heck can drive the $10K 3D printer.

I want my kid to learn current/new things, but you need to teach some old fashioned basics first. Not to mention my tax $ sitting there unused (yes, I can't use it as a parent either...).

olafhardt
07-22-2013, 06:13 AM
I use files to make mistakes.

quasi
07-29-2013, 11:40 PM
a tool to reproduce it self?

I was admiring (well leering really) at a shapely middle aged woman while sitting on a bench at a local mall. My Girl friend noticed and told me to "go reproduce myself" or words to that effect.8-)