PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Pistol Cases

Tamitch
06-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm starting to reload and I have a question about whether or not the need of trimming pistols cases. I'll be reloading 45 Auto Rim and 44 Mag.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.

Mike Kerr
06-04-2013, 11:25 PM
No, not usually necessary. Maybe with very heavy caliber (454, 460, 500) some may find it needed. The exception would be some bullseye shooter might find it worthwhile but otherwise not usually done.

Westwindmike
06-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I've never had to trim a pistol brass in 30 years of loading.

Recluse
06-05-2013, 12:20 AM
I've never had to trim a pistol brass in 30 years of loading.

Ditto. I have the collets and guides to do it for the (.357 and .44) magnum cartridges, but have never HAD to do it.

:coffee:

MtGun44
06-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Only to get the cases uniform to help get a consistent crimp. They
do not stretch.

Bill

Char-Gar
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Only to get the cases uniform to help get a consistent crimp. They
do not stretch.

Bill

I agree with Bill 100%. Cases can get uneven mouths and if you are after ultimate precision you will need to face them off square and to a uniform length in order to get a uniform crimp on all rounds.

I will do this for rounds intended for ultimate accuracy, be that paper punching or the field. For the vast majority of handgun shooting, it won't make a difference. But for critical use, small things will stack up and make a difference in the end product.

bobthenailer
06-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Yes! i first size then trim my revolver brass to correct min oal about every 5 reloads or so in the winter months, so i get a consitant crimp and sometimes sort semi autos brass by length after sizing for better accuracy .
I also use the same lot # of brass for really serious work . and use a different brand of brass for each load in any given caliber .

I am in the group of people who has always competed with firearms and still do. here are the rules i follow.
Get the best / most accurate guns avalible
Buy or reload the most accurate ammo avalible
Now comes the really hard part ! the rest is up to your desire and mental condtioning , and this usually takes years to obtain, but it is rewarding.

Artful
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I have never had a straight wall case that grew beyond maximum case length and had to be trimmed, and I have never had a batch of brass purchased eilther new or used that was all the same case length - so I usually trim them once to all the same case length like Bill, for consistent crimp and then don't have to do it again. Bottle neck cases are another matter.

USMC87
06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Have never trimmed pistol brass, I'm not a pistol match shooter but if that's your intent then you may want to trim to length. As for loading to just go out and shoot for fun you don't need to .

bobthenailer
06-06-2013, 10:22 AM
For thoses of you who ck the length of your brass ! check after resizing , brass usually grows about 0.010 longer after sizing

opos
06-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I shoot a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk and it can "grow"the brass...sometimes needs a touch up with heavier loads...it's got a slight taper...I've never trimmed straight wall handgun brass at all.

Changeling
06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I must really be missing something, LOL! Lets take the .45 colt (Ruger) I'm working with right now.
When one has a batch of new or used cases it is imperative that you measure and trim to industry standards if you plan to reload SAFELY and correctly, be it rifle/pistol/revolver.

This way you can set up your loading press to consistently lower the bullet/crimping die to exactly the same point on the bullet each time and make a strong secure crimp that is imperative if you expect any sort of accuracy whatsoever. This is just a short expression of it's importance, there are other reasons also, like pressure spikes, bullets jumping crimp, etc.
In reloading a lot of people that know what they are doing, FORGET that someone new is going to take everything you say literally, Don't screw him/her up!

opos
06-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Never said I didn't measure...measuring is always a part of my loading with the 30 carbine cases..they headspace on the mouth unlike the 45 colt which headspaces on the rim...the 30 carbine taper crimps and the 45 Colt I load as well gets a roll crimp...they are measured (even new brass) when I do my first loads and trimmed for uniformity...with the light loads I make I can get any number of loads without trimming but I still measure. As to straight case pistol cartridges...I've never found it necessary to trim. I don't take anything on the web from anyone as gospel...there are manuals that have the real info...I think the op was asking what we do...that's what I do....not any intention to "screw anyone up"....I was talking about 30 carbine as a unique situation..has nothing to do with a 45 Colt. 30 carbine and 45 Colt...totally different critters...different crimps and different situations based on loads. For new folks..check your manual.

I shoot a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk and it can "grow"the brass...sometimes needs a touch up with heavier loads...it's got a slight taper...I've never trimmed straight wall handgun brass at all.

farmallcrew
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Nope no need to trim. Straight walled pistol cases, rarely grow in length.

cases really only grow because of the shoulder, the pressure pushes on the shoulder and pushes upto the neck of the case, thus making more brass at the top of the case because of the slight stretch.

Some people will trim everything, pistol brass as well, because they beleive that it all needs to be done the same way. I am one of those people but i do not trim my .380, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 32acp, 45long colt. none of them have touched a trimmer. yet i have Lee trimmers for all of them, but never use them, because after 5 reloads they are the same length as they were on the 1st reload.

dragon813gt
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I trim for any case that requires a roll crimp. It makes for consistent crimps. Taper crimp cases never seem to require trimming. But any new to me brass gets trimmed to the correct length.

CGT80
06-17-2013, 01:54 AM
I have to trim my 460 mag revolver brass. It grows past the maximum length. I also only resize the top 3/4's of the case. I found that further resizing wasn't necessary and it also tended to really leave a nasty transition where the die stopped on the brass. The rounds drop right in my X-Frame. I haven't had to trim any other straight wall brass.

Hickory
06-17-2013, 06:53 AM
I normally check & trim all new brass if needed.
Autoloading brass-45acp- needs to be trimmed
for best function and accuracy.

gray wolf
06-17-2013, 10:25 PM
most of my 44 mag brass is lend me, give me, or range pick ups. Its all different lengths,
I trim it and try to come up with a happy medium allowing .003 difference max.
Doing this I find my crimp is always in the same place, I like it to start just at the top of the crimp groove and that's how they all come out. One less thing to worry about, and NO I don't like trimming cases.
As for the 45 ACP I think I trimmed two or three some 30/40 years ago, I may still have them someplace as a reminder of what not to do with 45 ACP cases. How you gonna trim cases that get shorter ??

r1kk1
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
As for the 45 ACP I think I trimmed two or three some 30/40 years ago, I may still have them someplace as a reminder of what not to do with 45 ACP cases. How you gonna trim cases that get shorter ??

I noticed this too with 45 ACP.
+1

take care

r1kk1

marlin39a
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I have been trimming my 357 mag brass that I use in a Rossi 92. First time I've ever trimmed pistol/revolver brass.

Love Life
06-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I size and trim all pistol brass I buy before I reload it. After that I only trim again if necessary, and so far it has never been necessary.

Whiterabbit
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I trim my 460 S&W cases. I don't crimp at all, but I've found between 50 and 100 yards is a tipping point. I can shoot at 50 yards and it doesnt matter if the case is old, new, mixed brass, bullet seconds, gaps in the lube, corrosion on the case, etc etc etc. Group size is good enough and repeatable enough.

100 yards? for me, different animal. Much tougher. trimming noticeably improves accuracy.

Virginia John
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
The .357 SIG may require trimming from time to time but none of the straight cases should require trimming.

theperfessor
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I just grabbed a handful of .45 ACP cases from my ready-to-size pile and out of 10 cases (mixed headstamps) all but 2 were SHORTER than the minimum spec on length, and the other two were barely over the minimum length and nowhere near the maximum. Maybe 10 different cases would show a different result, but having checked lengths over the years this seems typical for .45 ACP brass.

theperfessor
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM
By the way, welcome to the forum Virginia John.