PDA

View Full Version : My" Basket Case" RCBS Green Machine Project!

seagiant
06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi,
Thought I would show my latest finished project of bringing an RCBS Green Machine back from the DEAD! This machine was literally rust frozen when I got it and I had to spray it down with PB Blaster for a day to get it to move. Taking it apart I was scared of cracking the iron base it was so tight!

Everything was either painted or slow rust blued except the dies. The primer and powder measure mods were done like my other LNIB machine! I now have a GM in 38 spl. and 357 Mag.!

Iowa Fox
06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice job! I like refurbishing old loaders myself.

LUBEDUDE
06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Incredible SG!

You truly are the Grand Master of the Green Machine.

seagiant
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Incredible SG!

You truly are the Grand Master of the Green Machine.

Hi,
Ha! You guys crack me up! Here's a pic of the machine after I got it cleaned up and working, before I reblued and repainted!

44Vaquero
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Seagiant, oddly enough they look like they were made to have the Lee Powder Measures and Dillion primer feeds on them! It just seems to fit right. Good work!

Honorstick
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
That's nice, you did a great job bringing it back.

Mike Kerr
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
They look really great. Just beautiful in the photographs. I wonder what its like to load on one? Keep us posted if you can.

seagiant
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi,
Thanks fellas! The green Hammertone paint,as you can see was a pretty good match!

W.R.Buchanan
06-05-2013, 07:45 PM
You're having too much fun,,,go back to work!

Randy

seagiant
06-05-2013, 09:45 PM
You're having too much fun,,,go back to work!

Randy

Hi,
Well,like some other people,I'm gonna party as long as I can!!!

W.R.Buchanan
06-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Now come on! I don't look that bad,,, do I?

Randy

seagiant
06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Now come on! I don't look that bad,,, do I?

Randy
Hi,
Well,I wasn't referring to you,I remember in the 70's they said die young leave a good looking body! Seems some people forgot to die and they are not going to leave much for the Coroner to play with!

I ended up tearing the rebuilt GM back down and going through it again,the action was rough and there were little problems everywhere. The one I have like new had no problems except tuning it up, it is smooth as a Swiss watch. The rebuilt one needed some troubleshooting and I went in and polished the sliding surfaces with crocus cloth by hand with a backer to keep everthing flat!

This seemed to help smooth things up and with the tuning up is now working as it should! I guess as bad as it was I should be happy it runs at all but it is now fine,just took more work(2days) to get it there!

W.R.Buchanan
06-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Greg: get yourself a Scotchbtite wheel for your buffer. I can't tell you how much I use them. They are an integral part of any operation I do since they are the simplest and best way to deburr most anything. I even deburr case mouths on it since it is the fastest way to do that. Lots of uses for these things.

Any machine I rework gets all of it's sharp edges broke on the wheel. They work so well for this it is criminal. Get the hardest one they make @$40 as they last the longest.

I wish you could get out here on one of your voyages. I could bring you up to speed really fast if I just had you in person for a couple of hours.

Finishing techniques are where its at ! They are what make everything look good. Deburring is what makes things slide together nicely. The wheel makes all of this possible in short order.

Smoothing out that slide with Crocus Cloth,,, I could have done in 15 seconds on the Scotchbrite wheel. IN fact the slide on that C&H was done that exact way.

Plan a vacation out west. :mrgreen:

Randy

44Vaquero
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Seagiant, you should take him up on the offer, I would!

seagiant
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Seagiant, you should take him up on the offer, I would!

Hi,
Well.. Mama didn't raise but one fool and he"s still on the farm! I just got to get my work situation on a more even keel and then I'll be all over it! Of course Randy knows this! I'm sure it will happen before long! Maybe the next Shot Show?

boltaction308
06-06-2013, 04:20 PM
The green machines look nice, how do they compare to a Dillon. I see them on ebay for a lot less than a Dillon?

seagiant
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi,
Try this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201306-An-RCBS-quot-Green-Machine-quot-That-Actually-Works!

Vinne
06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Mighty fine job on that greenie. Looks like new. You sure know your stuff.

376Steyr
06-06-2013, 06:14 PM
The green machines look nice, how do they compare to a Dillon. I see them on ebay for a lot less than a Dillon?

The RCBS Green Machine was notorious for being difficult to use. Making little brass cases move in a straight line turns out to be rather difficult. RCBS doesn't make it anymore. The circular rotating systems that Dillons use are a lot less tempermental, and work so well that Hornady and RCBS now make units that use the same sort of system.