PDA

View Full Version : Picky?

mrblue
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
So Im melting down my range lead and pulling out the copper jackets from them. I am getting small amounts of lead remaining inside, that I've tried to get out buy can't seem to always get the last little drop out. So I'm wondering if there are tips to get it all out, or is it not always that big of a deal to others? Also how picky will the scrap yard be when i take this copper back with a small amount of lead with them? Thanks

Lizard333
06-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I heat up all of my jacket up really hit in a fryer basket with a weed burner torch. Then I just bang the basket on the concrete floor and all the left over lead drops out. I quench the hit jackets in a 5 gallon bucket with citric acid in with the water. This helps to shine them back up. I get a pretty good price for the jackets.

Btw, take a magnet to your jackets before you turn them in. If the recycler finds steel mixed in with your jackets he won't pay as much.

dragonrider
06-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Flux with sawdust before removing the jackets from the pot.

Mal Paso
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I roll about 2 cups worth, at a time, against the side of the pot with a slotted spoon or fryer sieve for a minute or two. Lead will find a way out so long as the path is down.