PDA

View Full Version : Primer cup and primer slide problems? Of one

gcollins
06-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Howdy All,
I am very embarrassed to even bring this in a post, but, I need to know if this has happened to others or just one of those things? I have had my RL 450 set up to run 9mm, for 10 years at least, back before I got hurt when I set up that old RL450 (I bought it new in the 80's)I would load up at least 1500-2000 9mm at a time and more when needed. I would change it over to 45acp and make a big run with it, and then back to 9mm. To the new members that have not been loading for very long most likely have a hard time believe ing that! Back in the day when primers were $8.95 pr 1k, powder was $4.25 lb and cheaper when bought by the 8lb keg, I was buying my lead bullets sized and lube for $15.00 pr 1k.
I would shoot 3-500 /9mm a week! As time goes and prices went SO HI that you had to have a good job to keep shooting my handgun's along with a 100 rds of shot gun every Sunday. It almost got Impossible to kept shooting the amount I was. When there was nobody at the range, I would pick up every shot wad I could find, as long as it had all 4 wings on it! it didn't make any difference on practice shooting!
I am sorry for going on, back to my problem, here 2 years ago I got in a trade a newer RL 550b with the auto primer and auto powder. As bad as it sounds, it stayed boxed up until a month ago. A buddy of mine has been hounding me to sell him the 450, when I decided to mount my other 550, as a lot of you all know I move slow, here a few weeks back I had this friend un bolt the 450 and go put it in his pickup, then he mounted the other 550, yesterday being a nice day and I felt pretty good so I went to the shop to setup that 550 in 9mm, because it had a large primer cup I had a friend that buy's from Dillon there ammo cases and parts for people, I had him get me a small primer group when he made a order for him self. I changed it out and I checked to make sure it was working okay:x It wasn't and so I started looking to see what was wrong, the primer cup was hitting the primer housing and shield, so I took it off so I could see exactly what was going on, the primer cup was hitting the housing, so I spent some time looking it all over, I come to find that the hole for the primer seating punch is not drilled in the center and there is no way to fix it! Will Dillon replace it, or am I going to have to have my friend order me one?
Thanks for your time!
G

wv109323
06-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Dillon will send you one with no questions asked. They have one of the best customer service groups in the industry.

Smoke4320
06-04-2013, 01:14 PM
dillon has some of the best customer service in the industry..
Give them a call .. they will make it right

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Ditto!

Randy

gcollins
06-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I am no so sure? 26 mins. on hold, and because I didn't buy it new, the guy thought I was dumber than a STUMP! There machines are the best, but I will never recommend them to anyone! I do thank everyone that posted, and I hope that I did not offend anyone.
Greg

W.R.Buchanan
06-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Greg: two weeks ago it was 90 minutes on hold! The reason for this is that they are that good. 26 minutes,,, this just shows they are finally catching up with the demand.

I have never had anyone at that place act badly towards me in any way, and I have never bought a new machine from them. They have always been completely courtious and respectful. Afterall you are a customer,,, and they are not in the business of running off customers.

Most everyone here will echo my comment.

I would swallow and call them again tomarrow.

Another tact might be to to get out the instructions and try to figure it out yourself.

There is an adjustable stop on the primer bar that must be changed when going between large and small primers. If it worked for one it will work for the other.

If you don't have the instructions then go to their website and download and print them out.

Read and re-read until you understand. This is the only way to be successful at anything.

Only when you fully understand, can you do.

Randy

USMC87
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I am a Dillon user because of the service they provide, Replace with no questions asked.

gcollins
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Guys I have owned and used a Dillon RL450 since the early 80's. I have loaded at least 20,000 rds of ammo with out one problem, once a year I clean and lube it. I bought my first RL 550B- 5 years ago off a guy in Texas that bought it new, and some dealer put it to this Guy! They sold him this machine set up with a non carbide 45acp sizer die (a nice Dillon FL sizer die with it's highly polish top) He never told me this, other than he bought it to load 45acp, he said he never got it to work for him, so he was going back to his RCBS Rock Chucker. He didn't know about the sizing die, and I did not know it and it never dawned on me to check that? I un boxed it and could not believe how brand new it looked!!!!! So I drilled my holes and bolted it down, put powder in the powder dump, got it set and then I inserted a case, I didn't get more than 1/2 way down and that was it! Now I know why he sold it! Simple fix, just take all a part, un screw the die and placed on a self, I think it is still there! The next RL550B I got in trade, it was a newer machine than my other one, because it had auto prime and auto powder dump, I never found out the story behind this one? It had not been used???At the time when I got it, I had no place to put it. I really wasn't looking for another Dillon, but it came in a trade! I don't get to spend very much time in there, ever since I got hurt 2003 and I worked my job never late never missed but a few days when I had test out of town, I had my monthly Doctor visit after work, I work up still I was taken off work Dec 2007, I could not do my job. So now I depend on my brother to do every thing I need done. You can't expect some one to do ever thing you need done right on the spot! Last Monday I decided that I would have the 450 taken off the bench and have the 550 put in its place, I told my brother just when he had time! Sunday afternoon here comes my brother, I took him out there and showed him what I needed done, and then back to the bed and the heat pads! So yesterday I started setting it up and you know what I did next!
I am not a person that try's to get something over another.
Greg

Alvarez Kelly
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Sometimes, the primer housing needs to be loosened so it can be moved slightly, aligning the primer cup with the shellplate platform hole. Maybe this will be the cure.

If not, I'm not sure I follow the problem. Do you think the primer cup itself is bad, or is it the primer arm?

Anyway... I have a new primer cup and anvil I can send you if you don't have replacements yet. PM me your shipping info if you want them.

gcollins
06-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi All,
I think I mentioned that I got it in a trade8-) and I had set it in the corner for way over a year because I had my other 2 Dillons working. I finally got around to buying my Strong side kit. Had them 6 months before I put them on the press and made room on the bench for it. Now I know why it was thrown in the deal!:groner::shock: I allways thought that I had made a deal, but now
that I am taking it apart, I am finding more parts missing. I think that I am down to the bottom and await a call from my friend telling me he has my parts. Wish me luck!
And I am totally sorry, and I need to learn to stay off the net in the pm!!
Greg

Circuit Rider
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Guess what Greg, we're all human. You're man enough to admit when you screw up, more than many would do. Dillon will do you right, good luck. CR