PDA

View Full Version : Help with picking out a new canvas tent....spike...range...teepee...etc

jsheyn
06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Guys,

It’s time I retire my old 1972 Coleman canvas tent. I would like to find something 1 man can setup, but have enough room to house 3 adults (2 adult with gear). I'd like to stand up in the tent so 6' ceiling.

I have been eye balling the 10x10 ft. 6-Person Flex-Bow Canvas Tent from Kodiak. I would like to eventually be able to run a small heater or a stove inside the tent, not sure if I can sew a jack into one of these bow systems.

I have pretty much ruled out the Teepee. I used to have an 18' and hauling around 27' foot long poles aint no fun. Although I have seen these cowboy teepee's where they just have a center pole...hmmmm

Must have list
Floor
at least 5'6" center ceiling (6' better)
Fire and Mildew treatment
one man setup

I will be using the tent for muzzleloader and archery rendezvous mostly with the occasional week long deer hunt in the national forest with a weeklong small game hunt in the mountains. 99% will be "Car Camping" so weight is not important on this tent.

I'm looking to stay in the ~$500is dollar range....

Thanks in advance!

Phoenix
06-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I was going to suggest montana canvas

http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/montana-blend

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0142/4712/products/montana-blend-wall-tent-with-sewn-in-floor_1024x1024.jpg?4g?4

but I dont think you can get much under $800 but it would last forever.

OK I looked closer. definately not under $500

Dean D.
06-04-2013, 12:31 PM
We've been very happy with the 10' X 10' (5' walls) Wall tent we bought from this company:
http://midwesttent.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=jdic7tupd4f1qkfakghq5mkur6
They're prices would meet your budget too. The only thing our tent does not have that you specify is a floor, we just use tarps/canvas of our own for a floor.

powderburnerr
06-04-2013, 12:31 PM
look at springbar' tent , they set up real easy are tall stand wind like you cannot believe and are everything you are looking for. they are not traditional styled , they are sold through kirkhams in salt lake city utah,
one man setup in about 5 minutes.

jsheyn
06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Dean,

One thing I could never understand about tents without sewn in floors...How do you keep the inside from turning to soggy mess. do you turn the tarp upwards on the inside?

We've been very happy with the 10' X 10' (5' walls) Wall tent we bought from this company:
http://midwesttent.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=jdic7tupd4f1qkfakghq5mkur6
They're prices would meet your budget too. The only thing our tent does not have that you specify is a floor, we just use tarps/canvas of our own for a floor.

jsheyn
06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
look at springbar' tent , they set up real easy are tall stand wind like you cannot believe and are everything you are looking for. they are not traditional styled , they are sold through kirkhams in salt lake city utah,
one man setup in about 5 minutes.

Hey now that looks like ticket.... do you have one? how would you rate the canvas....i'm reallying liking the Traveler 5

jsheyn
06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I was going to suggest montana canvas

http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/montana-blend

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0142/4712/products/montana-blend-wall-tent-with-sewn-in-floor_1024x1024.jpg?4g?4

but I dont think you can get much under $800 but it would last forever.

OK I looked closer. definately not under $500

I spent a week in my buddies Montana canvas wall tent...definitly top of the line...out of my reach this time

leftiye
06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Kirkham's is in the SLC phone book. Call them and see what they will tell you, they make them there in Salt lake. I've deer hunted with a friend who has one, they've had it forever -good quality. Excellent canvas. You might also look at Sportsman's Guide. They have some wall tents (and some other designs) under their Guide Gear brand.

Dean D.
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Dean,

One thing I could never understand about tents without sewn in floors...How do you keep the inside from turning to soggy mess. do you turn the tarp upwards on the inside?

I use a blue plastic tarp covered by a canvas tarp. My wife and I do the Mt. Man Rendezvous thing so having the blue tarp covered is cosmetic mainly. Some day we would like to spring for an oil cloth type tarp so we can dispense with the blue tarp. Built in floors are nice, but I always hated trying to clean them out as I never could seem to get ALL the grass/dirt rounded up.

jsheyn
06-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I use a blue plastic tarp covered by a canvas tarp. My wife and I do the Mt. Man Rendezvous thing so having the blue tarp covered is cosmetic mainly. Some day we would like to spring for an oil cloth type tarp so we can dispense with the blue tarp. Built in floors are nice, but I always hated trying to clean them out as I never could seem to get ALL the grass/dirt rounded up.

But how do you keep the rain from flowing under the tent walls and flowing over the tarped floor? Or what about Snow...how do you set this up in snow?? I just cant wrap my mind around it :)

Love Life
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
But how do you keep the rain from flowing under the tent walls and flowing over the tarped floor? Or what about Snow...how do you set this up in snow?? I just cant wrap my mind around it :)

You brought your shovel, right...

MT Gianni
06-04-2013, 06:35 PM
For a snow set up as a kid we would bring 2-3 bales of straw. Shovel it out well toss down the straw for insulation and spread out the tarp. This was for an old Korean war surplus tent, center pole no floor.

Dean D.
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
You brought your shovel, right...

Bingo! Plus the blue tarp is slightly larger than the tent footprint and can be overlapped up the sidewalls if needed.

powderburnerr
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
I do have one , a 9x12 it is roomy, tough and easy to deal with , sewn in floor and screened windows all around , a good outfit.

Hamish
06-04-2013, 09:53 PM
This was kind of impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h-0bZoGm9Is

ryan28
06-05-2013, 12:18 AM

Most tents without floors have a sidewall with extra canvas on the bottom that goes outward. You can put rocks etc on this flap to keep wind out.
I prefer a tent without a floor, the floor doesn't have to be canvas, or even cover the entire inside.
The Springbar and Kodiak are basically the same design, USA made vs China, both good.

BruceB
06-05-2013, 04:40 AM
In my younger years, I worked mineral exploration in the Arctic. We lived in tents year-round, and it was quite an education in "camping". Ever since those days, I could never see a justification for going camping just for the sake of sleeping someplace other than home.

I'd camp for hunting, for fishing, for canoe trips etc. ...... but just for the sake of camping? NEVER!

Our wall tents were ordered without floors, because the floor is the first thing to go. A waterproof tarp, BIGGER than the tent's floor area, was rolled up the inside of the tent's walls on all sides. This kept the interior dry, and the tent contents kept the "floor" well anchored. The "sod cloth" around the outside perimeter was weighted with rocks, snow, logs, whatever was convenient.

Our tents came with an asbestos "stove ring" to accept the chimney of a sheet-metal wood stove.

In my later days in this work, we were special-ordering wall tents with the ends made of Gore-Tex (breathable) fabric. This inspiration GREATLY reduced the build-up of condensation in the tent in cold weather, which made it far more comfortable. We lived and worked in temps down to forty below zero or worse, so any gains were happily accepted.

For REALLY cold semi-permanent camps, we had "Jutland" wall tents with snap-together aluminum frames, proper doors, etc. Once the frame was up, a heavily-insulated canvas "skin" was slipped over the frame and secured against the weather. These made decently-cozy camps even in minus-50 to minus-60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Looking back, I enjoyed the experiences in the far North.... but it's a young man's game and I would NOT want to do it again at this late date!

leftiye
06-05-2013, 06:37 AM

You have extra tarp (plastic tarp is mo bettah) at the bottom of the sides. You pile dirt on the bottom flaps. Is air tight. The boy scout method was to dig trenches around the bottom of the tent to direct the run off away. (Probly left a nice big gap all aroud the bottom)

elkhuntfever
06-05-2013, 07:10 AM
My outfitters tent is from Davis Tent in Colorado. We have shoveled a foot of snow to clear a place to pitch it. I have the interior frame and tuck the extra vinyl to the inside where I place the feet of the framework to hold it in place. (Rubber tips on the bottom of the poles prevent damage to the vinyl). Never have had problems with water coming under the tent walls. We use carpeting runners along side out cots.

crawfobj
06-05-2013, 08:08 AM
My outfitters tent is from Davis Tent in Colorado. We have shoveled a foot of snow to clear a place to pitch it. I have the interior frame and tuck the extra vinyl to the inside where I place the feet of the framework to hold it in place. (Rubber tips on the bottom of the poles prevent damage to the vinyl). Never have had problems with water coming under the tent walls. We use carpeting runners along side out cots.

I have a Davis tent too and do the same thing, except I put a tarp on the ground over the sod cloth and under the frame poles. No wind, no moisture, and no sewn in floor to wear out. It is truly a lifetime tent if you take care of it. I've logged over 3 months in mine over he 9 years or so that I've had it and its good as new. I also recommend a tarp for a rain fly to protect from UV, but I'm in Texas and use it even when it's hot out. I've also used it in bitter cold and blowing snow in Colorado with no issues. The wood stove will keep it nice and toasty if you keep up with it.

Boerrancher
06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I am a big fan of the Panther Primitives hunter model I believe it is called. It is a single pole pyramid design that can sleep 6. One man can set it up in about 5 min. Just unfold it, drive 4 stakes and insert the center pole. Two people can set the thing up in less than a minute if they work fast.

Best wishes

Joe

jsheyn
06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
I am a big fan of the Panther Primitives hunter model I believe it is called. It is a single pole pyramid design that can sleep 6. One man can set it up in about 5 min. Just unfold it, drive 4 stakes and insert the center pole. Two people can set the thing up in less than a minute if they work fast.

Best wishes

Joe

Joe,

I think this might be my next tent...wonder if I can get a stove jack on a 10x10 pyramid tent?

Thanks

gbrown
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
In the Scouts, way back when, and later in the Army, '70s, we used pup tents, 2 man shelter halves. Take shovel/entrenching tool and go out about a foot from the sides and end and make a trench about 4-6 inches deep. Throw the soil back along the edge of the shelter halves along side and rear. First thing is to set the tent up where you can get good drainage. I spent a lot of time in these when you had rain 24/7 for days. We stayed dry, except when we brought the moisture in with us on clothing. We would use these when we took leave and toured a lot of Europe, camping out and cooking cause we didn't have a lot of money. As for floors, all you gotta do is drive some stakes inside the tent, corners and along sides, pull the tarp up and tie to the top of the stakes. Makes like a big, blue cookie sheet. As said, contents of tent will keep the tarp in place.

Love Life
06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I still use one of those shelter halves for my personal camping. I have both sides rolled up around a ground mat, the stakes, and tied with 555 cord. Sits on top of my pack and has everything I need. They are indeed very water repellent, until you touch the inside during a rainstorm...

jlucke69
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I purchased a Kodiak flex-bow 10X10 for scouting with my boys. My requirements were easy to setup and take down with one person, standup room, floor space and quality. I can set the tent up in about 10 minutes by myself. Even with the winds in Kansas, it stands tall while others are falling down or flattened. Space wise, it fits myself with a cot and 2 Scouts with room for a 3rd and 4th if needed. They are heavy, but outstanding quality. I have a little propane heater that I use in cold weather without concerns. I just do not leave it running at night.

MakeMineA10mm
06-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Dean,

I've only used tents without floors, since early Boy Scout days. Floors get muddy, dirty, wet, etc., and if sewn in, 10x harder to clean or fix/replace. Our tents had sod clothes, but we tucked them inside the tent and laid our ground cloth (plastic sheeting) so that it over-lapped the sod cloth. We never trenched tents in my troop due to soil erosion, though we discussed how it might be necessary in extreme weather cases. The sod cloth being under the ground cloth directed the water to go under the ground cloth - overlap the wrong way and the opposite happens. It's one of those little details which makes a whopping big difference.

Junior1942
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
In Louisiana it's not water I worry about creeping inside a floorless tent. It's insects with stingers in their tails and snakes with poison in their teeth. No floorless tents for this ol' boy!

This toothy fellow was maybe 4 feet from my tent.
http://www.castbullet.com/reload/photos/44shot13t.jpg

btroj
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Ok Junior, that is a game changer.

Boerrancher
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
The Army never had floors in the tents. I would pile up lots of dirt along the sides and part of the front, and keep something to weight down the flap that wasn't secured with dirt. I have been in a lot of places that had all kinds of venomous critters. You learn to keep your stuff closed up tight and when you take your boots off at night you use your laces to close the tops of your boots nice and tight. I never had an issue but I was always careful.

Joe,

I think this might be my next tent...wonder if I can get a stove jack on a 10x10 pyramid tent?

Thanks

The 10 x 10 is nice but I think you will want the 12 foot tall one. 10 ft is alright one that is 12ft gives you a great deal more head room and room on the sides.

Best wishes,

Joe