PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press Rookie Question

Ninety Caliber
06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Reloaded my first rounds yesterday on a buddy's older 3 hole Lee Turret Press.
I had myself convinced to get a Lee 4 hole for myself, but now, not so sure. The primer-feed on his press works only about every second pull of the lever without help.
Seems to need to be jiggled to get it to feed . Of course, he's so used to it it's no problem for him, but a giant PAIN for me! What I'm wondering is if the new ones are like this or is his just in need of repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wallenba
06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Are we talking about the Lee Safety prime, or the primer arm in the ram slot? The primer arm often 'hangs' during operation. I have fixed this on a few of mine by using a dremel tool with a disc of fine emery paper to radius the edges around them, and the ram slot as well.
The Safety primer chute can have a choke point in it sometimes. They don't work well when the stack of primers in the chute are low. They rely on the weight of the ones above them to get them moving downward. Primers are so light that even the friction against the chute can stop them. The Safety prime also really needs to be in that 'sweet spot' to function well. Only trial and error will get you there.

I have modified the way I use my 4-hole Lee turret, and I'm much happier with it now.
First, I use a Lee universal decapping die, then clean my primer pockets and brass.
Second, I prime off the press with a Lee hand priming tool.
Third, I have removed the decapping pins from my full length sizing dies.
Then load as normal. It's an extra step, and at first glance seems to take more time. But then, how much time and trouble do you waste dealing with the problems the priming on press created?

P.S. When dealing a lot with Lee equipment, you must get used to the fact that some need 'tweaking' right out of the box. It's a problem, someone here coined the phrase, "Lee-menting". It's worth doing because of the cost of their items is low, and potential is high.

44Vaquero
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Ninety,

1st a little history before the safety prime Lee's priming arm required the user to place the primer manually in the cup. Amazingly this worked for 20 or 30 years with out problem, then suddenly the reloading community became afraid of touching a primer! You could still place the primers by hand it's not that difficult to do. In fact I sometimes do not use the safety prime, it depends on my mood.

Now, about the safety prime.

*The primer chute needs to stay full at all times (the system is gravity fed)

*When you begin to swing the primer arm into position place your thumb at the back of the toggle and push it into contact with the priming arm.

*Now roll your thumb up and over the toggle and push until you hear the click (don't be gentle about it)

*Remove your thumb and let the ram travel release the safety prime arm it will swing away on it's own.

I use the 3 hole turret as my primary press for pistol calibers with the exception of .45 ACP which I load on my progressive. The 3 hole turret is the fastest thing around short of a full on progressive, I regularly process 150+ rounds per hour with out working too hard.

ukrifleman
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Reloaded my first rounds yesterday on a buddy's older 3 hole Lee Turret Press.
I had myself convinced to get a Lee 4 hole for myself, but now, not so sure. The primer-feed on his press works only about every second pull of the lever without help.
Seems to need to be jiggled to get it to feed . Of course, he's so used to it it's no problem for him, but a giant PAIN for me! What I'm wondering is if the new ones are like this or is his just in need of repair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use a Lee Classic turret press to load 14 calibres, from .357 to 30-06, with the Safety prime.
The trick is to get the Safety Prime bracket correctly aligned with the primer pocket and add at least 2 extra primers to lend weight to the last one you need, so it feeds correctly.
I have no problems with my Lee press and would recommend it as a good value, efficient piece of kit.
ukriflemsn.

PS Paul
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I use a Lee Classic turret press to load 14 calibres, from .357 to 30-06, with the Safety prime.
The trick is to get the Safety Prime bracket correctly aligned with the primer pocket and add at least 2 extra primers to lend weight to the last one you need, so it feeds correctly.
I have no problems with my Lee press and would recommend it as a good value, efficient piece of kit.
ukriflemsn.

Second the additional primers for added weight. As I approach the end and KNOW how many boolits/brass are left to prime, I add two primers- sometimes spent, sometimes not- and it works like a charm! Of all the things Lee makes, including some of the "not so great" items, this turret press and the primer safety-feed system are really slick once you work a few bugs out of the feed system.

Chilmonty
06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Correct, just add a few more primers than you are going to actually load.
I keep about 10 extra primers, in large and small pistol, in both priming arms all the time.