PDA

View Full Version : A Large Dovetail??

Uncle Grinch
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I've got an older commercial Mauser barrel that has a ramp front sight and a sweated on base with a dovetail for the rear sight. However, it measures 0.585 at the widest part of the dovetail. I need a leaf sight to fit it and have not been able to find anything this wide.

Anybody have any leads or maybe a sight that would fit?

The Kid
06-03-2013, 11:13 PM
NECG may have a blank rear blade that you could file down to size. If your mauser is one of the older continental sporters, odds are that the sight was hand made to no particular size other than to fit the dovetail in the base. If all else fails a gunsmith or machine shop could make you a leaf or you could get out your hacksaw and files and fashion one yourself.

pietro
06-04-2013, 11:33 AM

If the dovetail's that large, it might be for a claw-type front scope mount base, and not for a sight.

I once came across a commercial 1903 M-S Carbine that had a dovetail like that, cut across the (front) receiver ring.

Uncle Grinch
06-04-2013, 11:42 AM
If the dovetail's that large, it might be for a claw-type front scope mount base, and not for a sight.

pietro, don't believe that's the case here. My dovetail base is on the barrel in the area a rear sight would normally go.

NECG may have a blank rear blade that you could file down to size. If your mauser is one of the older continental sporters, odds are that the sight was hand made to no particular size other than to fit the dovetail in the base. If all else fails a gunsmith or machine shop could make you a leaf or you could get out your hacksaw and files and fashion one yourself

Kid, I looked at NECG's website and probably need to call them. My barrel does look like it's off one of the old sporter Mausers ( I have another complete rifle that has a similar barrel). NECG is so expensive, but they make some quality stuff.

pietro
06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

FWIW, I've seen a front claw mount on a barrel in my travels before, but good luck with your search anyway.

Mk42gunner
06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Sounds to me like it was a multiple leaf folding blade sight. It wouldn't be too hard to make a single leaf sight, the folding leaves on the other hand...

You might try calling gpc, I haven't had any luck lately looking for oddball stuff on their website; but their catalogs used to contain all sorts of off the wall things for a pretty decent price.

Good Luck,

Robert

KCSO
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Buy an oversized sight base from Track of the Wolf and make one.