PDA

View Full Version : Salvage yard "LINO"

SWANEEDB
06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Well some are still good ole boys, called one up last Fri to see what lead might be available, said come take a look, I did, he showed me a 55gal barrel, take a look and OH my, lino!!!!!!!!!!, he said there was at least 150lbs and if I took it all it would be .65 cents a lb, well it turned out to be 230 lbs, most was the block single letter form, MONO, so I said i'll take it all, was very hard to hold back what I felt. He thought he may be getting more, not sure of how much. Can you believe it, Man what a score, he also had his man load it up for me, camera is on the blink or maybe just me or I would post a pic.

Beagle333
06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Well..... you know the rule.... pictures, or it didn't happen. :kidding:

(Good score!!!!!! btw..)

el34
06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
You bleep bleep lucky dude!
Sometimes good stuff happens too, eh?

el34
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Mono is about 30 BHN and has about 10% tin. A casting alloy of 12 BHN is pretty good for most bullets. 220lb of your mono will bring 650lb of pure lead (5 BHN) up to that and give you 2.5% tin overall. Sweet!

btroj
06-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah, a few years ago I sold 44 pounds of scrap brass and gave 70 bucks and ended up with 265 pounds of monotype. Got it for .40 per pound.

GlocksareGood
06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Nice score! I hope to do that one of these days.

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2013, 04:58 AM
I went in the local salvage yard a few years back and came out with over 2000lbs of lineotype for 30 cents a lb. Sure wish i could find a deal like that again.

7Acres
06-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice score! Boy, that is an awesome feeling. Thinking about selling any here? Or are you just going to top off your personal stash? I'm curious to know what different people consider to be a lifetime stash of lino/mono.

SWANEEDB
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Nice score! Boy, that is an awesome feeling. Thinking about selling any here? Or are you just going to top off your personal stash? I'm curious to know what different people consider to be a lifetime stash of lino/mono.

Not selling, just buying and using.

David2011
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Blocks of Monotype? How big are these blocks? Could be foundry type as Monotype is very small individual letters of type. Foundry type is very hard, even when compared to Monotype. Foundry type is typically large headline size or bigger, up to sizes for the old grocery store weekly ads and hand set letter by letter. Monotype is body text size and handled by automation within the typesetting machine.

Monotype alloy 10% tin (Sn), 16% antimony (Sb), 74% lead (Pb)

Foundry type alloy 18% Sn, 28% SB, 54% Pb.

David

SWANEEDB
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Blocks of Monotype? How big are these blocks? Could be foundry type as Monotype is very small individual letters of type. Foundry type is very hard, even when compared to Monotype. Foundry type is typically large headline size or bigger, up to sizes for the old grocery store weekly ads and hand set letter by letter. Monotype is body text size and handled by automation within the typesetting machine.

Monotype alloy 10% tin (Sn), 16% antimony (Sb), 74% lead (Pb)

Foundry type alloy 18% Sn, 28% SB, 54% Pb.

David

Thanks David, About 3/4 of a 5gal pail is large blocks, letters are around 1 inch, am going to do a hardness check on my Cabine tree lead tester, should give me an idea. Thanks again, Dave

captaint
06-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Monotype is in various size blocks. From about 1" down to 1/8". And everywhere in between. Mono is not constantly melted and re melted. Once & done. Mike

bangerjim
06-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Congrats! Finds (like the truth----except in DC) are still out there.

This week I was able to find 430# of 15-17bnh lead ingots someone had cast into 2# muffins. Enough for my lifetime need! At $1/#, I felt it was a good find.

Happy castin'

bangerjim :D

TomBulls
06-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Aside from wheel weights (lead, not zinc or steel...), what should I look for at the scrap yard?

I stay away from really filthy looking lead pieces, or ones which might have an unknown history of use, i.e., pieces that look like they came out of a battery.

The soft lead pipes have gotta be pretty close to pure lead, but what about lead pipes that are REALLY hard? I've not had the luck of seeing linotype in person, so I'm not sure I'd even know what it looks like.

Any tips?

-thomas