PDA

View Full Version : Hillbilly shooting table cover

Jim
06-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Out of respect for a few distant neighbors, I don't start any shooting until 10 AM. Onliest problem is, by about 11 AM, the sun has topped the pines behind my shooting table and by noon or so, it's uncomfortably warm in the direst sun. The glare, the gun gettin' hot, the ammo gettin' hot.....that don't work for me.

I fixed that. I built a 'T' topped frame of a 4X4 and a coupla' 2X4s, sank it in a 2 foot deep hole and stretched a 10 ft X 12 ft. tarp across it and staked out the corners. Hot dog, I'm somebody now! Shootin' in the shade like I got good sense!

Does it look like a hillbilly built it? Yup. Does it work? You betcha', buddy!

LatheRunner
06-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Looks good to me. But where is the big jug of iced tea.

ffg
06-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Nice, in fact it looks real nice.

What time did you say we should all show up?

300savage
06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Too dam cool, pun intended..

Ben
06-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Looks to me like it is plenty functional.

That is good enough for me ! !

Go for it.

Ben

John Allen
06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Looks good. Now you just have to figure out how to keep it warm in winter!

oneokie
06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
You turning into a redneck hillbilly on us?

John Allen
06-03-2013, 08:18 PM
BTW Jim, I am so jealous I need to find some land of mine own so I can do the same thing.

Jim
06-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Turning into? Man, I got a journeyman's card! :bigsmyl2:

km101
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
It's amazing what you can accomplish with a little ingenuity!! And if it looks redneck that just makes it better! Heck, now you can even shoot in the rain!! :Fire:

DeanWinchester
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Nothin' hillbilly about that, just good work.

Hillbilly is an old garage door mounted on a single central post at a slight angle to turn the rain. An old buddy of mine had his covered that way.

TX.shotgun01
06-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm new to the sight but that looks good, the only thing missing is a 110 A/C unit next to you on a table, then you will be set up like a true hillbilly and a jug of ice tea. "Happy shooting and Safe shooting"

chboats
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
It that looks like it will get the job done. It might not be safe for you to travel out west or up north with a button up shirt. You could get arrested for concealing a red neck without a permit.

:kidding:

Carl

Trey45
06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
That ain't redneck, the tarp ain't blue and it doesn't have enough holes in it.
AND! Your bench ain't an old wire spool.

TXGunNut
06-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I like it. And if the drones want a closer look they'll have to fly lower....

1Shirt
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
In a word "nice" and beats an unbrella!
1Shirt!

Rooster59
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Perfect solution. Not hillbilly, ingenious! I'll bet it doesn't echo like the metal roof covers at our rifle club.

firefly1957
06-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Jim that is real nice but i will not give you redneck or hillbilly points for using store bought lumber now if that was trees you cleared from the range you would have made it! Then again if you picked the wood up from the side of the road instead of letting it go to the dump or it was left over from another project Your bragg'in rights to hillbilly remain intact. One question were is the coon tail wind flag?

gandydancer
06-03-2013, 09:17 PM
now if there was only an ocean view. I'd feel like I was back home in Maine. life can be good. GD :wink:

daniel lawecki
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Where's the Dish and TV

scottiemom
06-03-2013, 09:48 PM
please, I am begging you guys - do not give him any more ideas! next thing I know I will be seeing a very long industrial orange extension cord running from the house to the range, along with a mini-fridge and a fan. as it is, I had to hide the chainsaw so he would NOT cut down any more trees!

RoyEllis
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Jim, that is a real nice set-up you got, but I have to give you failing grades in "hillbillyism" and "redneckedness" (yeah, I made those up, put the dictionary away lol). Now you'd gotten an A+ if your construction entailed re-purposed shower curtains, baling wire and/or duct tape and the requisite used lumber. You'd got extra credit for welded up T post framework and a '63 Buick hood for a top, but all that new material is gonna get ya a "city slicker dude" stamp.:kidding:

Jim
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
please, I am begging you guys - do not give him any more ideas! next thing I know I will be seeing a very long industrial orange extension cord running from the house to the range, along with a mini-fridge and a fan. as it is, I had to hide the chainsaw so he would NOT cut down any more trees!

She hid the chain saw she KNOWS about.[smilie=1: She has forgotten my neighbor, Ray, has a trac hoe.:bigsmyl2:

oneokie
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
She hid the chain saw she KNOWS about.[smilie=1: She has forgotten my neighbor, Ray, has a trac hoe.:bigsmyl2:

A word from the wise................Some things are better left unsaid to ensure marital bliss.

SciFiJim
06-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Next thing you know, you will want to put the wheels back on that chair and pour yourself a concrete slab to roll around on![smilie=1:

I'm as green as that tarp with envy about your own shootin spot with shade to boot.

bushboy
06-04-2013, 01:36 AM
a word from the wise................some things are better left unsaid to ensure marital bliss.

hahahahahaha !!!!!

41 mag fan
06-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Jim, you're missing one thing, and that those "hot pepper" lights strung up to help when you're shooting in low light conditions, and the Christmas light strung up like a runway to your target area.

You know Janet....one thing you could get him to do, is put a bunch of hooks up on the t bar support of that pole and Jim could hang his socks and underwear on it to dry while he's a shootin!!!

thegatman
06-04-2013, 08:44 AM
I want one.

Riflerev
06-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Jim, you don't need long drop cord, just buy a small generator, then you could have a fridge, fan, lights, etc.

Don't tell Janet I gave you this idea.

Bzcraig
06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Slick as owl snot and though nobody else mentioned it, nice table cloth. You be one refined hillbilly!

linotype
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Good start, Jim. Time to lay the concrete foundation, set the cinder block walls, frame up the windows, wire it, AC and baseboard heat, metal roof, finish the inside, install small loading and casting area, microwave and mini-frig, easy chair, and add the American flag.
If you're laughing, think back about that first bullet mould. That was just a case of just needing one bullet weight in one caliber. And look where that got you. :wink:

sparkz
06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
woo, doggies, If you ain't Slicker then snot on a door knob,,,

I like that, I am in Eastern Kentucky
and I gota have one so I think I qualify,
Now for the hunt for the steel on a stick and a few spikes,,

Patrick

Jim
06-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Slick as owl snot and though nobody else mentioned it, nice table cloth. You be one refined hillbilly!

That serves a few purposes. It keeps loose rounds from rolling off the table, it keeps the shooting rest from sliding around and it gives these ol' arthritic ridden elbows a soft place to lay.

It's an old furniture padding blanket 'accidentally' [smilie=1: left behind by the movers that we hired when we moved to Floyd. I, umm..., uhh..., gave 'em a nice tip for a job well done.:bigsmyl2:

HeavyMetal
06-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Jim:
Nice and slick, but here I'd have people living in it!

On another note perhaps you should look at solar power? Harbor freight has several sizes of solar panels and three or four of those could power a small fridge on the cheap, long term of course.

I go along with the idea to build something a tad more permanent, I'm thinking another pole to stretch that tarp out a little, a concrete slab has great possibilities and, for those of us more fortunate, a short pillar of concrete to mount our Ransom Rest on, a place to put a Chrony comes to mind, if solar don't fly a good quiet Honda Generator.....

Yep Scottiemom has a worry or two here,LOL!

Jim
06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I was backing my truck up to the cover this morning and almost ran over one of the tie-out stakes, a section of 5/8" rebar. That would not have been good. So, I solved that problem. I drove another section of rebar in the ground right next to the stake, drove a 5 foot section of 3/4" PVC conduit down on it and wrapped it with yellow caution tape.

Johnch
06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Well done
All to simple

John

Dark Helmet
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
+1 on the solar panels and pouring concrete, etc. Hurricane blew my shade over, mebbe that was the begining of the end of the range I had use of..... :sad:

44Vaquero
06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Work's for me! It's a little small, now if you had used a 24x36 tarp it would be Hillbilly.

leeggen
06-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I think the green tarp is to camifloge the cooling for that still, The ONLY cool clear liquid!
good job looks nice.
CD

Ed Barrett
06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Down here in the Ozarks we figure it's almost too fancy if we put the shooting bench under a tree. You are living high on the hog, with that fancy rig. :)

mroliver77
06-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Now that's funny!

linotype
06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
"I was backing my truck up to the cover this morning and almost ran over one of the tie-out stakes, a section of 5/8" rebar. That would not have been good. So, I solved that problem. I drove another section of rebar in the ground right next to the stake, drove a 5 foot section of 3/4" PVC conduit down on it and wrapped it with yellow caution tape. "

Slippery slope, Jim, slippery slope. First was the T bar and tarp, then the safety rebar, and down the slope to the range bunker. Let us know when you order the ready mix for the foundation. :D

shdwlkr
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Jim
the only thing I see missing is the cooler full of lemon aide to keep you refreshed. Might be a might drafty when winter comes but that just means you need to think a little more on how to keep it warm. Now in a hard rain you just might need some more protection also.
Good idea and it even works and didn't break the bank doing it either.

Jim
06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
.....Good idea and it even works and didn't break the bank doing it either.

I bought the lumber and the tarp for just under $40. The rest of it was layin' around.

Blacksmith
06-06-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't know folks move out to the country then they start bringing their citified ways. Getting all fancy putting up $40 shootin houses and all. Next they will be all high and mighty and be offended by peoples comments. If shootin under a shade tree or used Farmall tractor umbrella was good enough for pappy it ought to be good enough for anybody.:kidding:

farmallcrew
06-06-2013, 07:12 PM
that looks purdier than a hog in slop, and me sharing my Pabst with the dog!!!!! looks well built!!!

DRNurse1
06-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Where's the Dish and TV

On top of his nonworking dish and TV, haven't you heard tell....:drinks:

Down South
06-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Looks good Jim, Not only are you out of the sun but also those unexpected rain showers.
I was going to build myself a tin roof over my bench. I have the material, just needed the time. I was already in the shade under a big old pecan tree. But time goes by and things change. My grand daughter lives in my old house out in the country now and I moved to a house we bought on a lake. I can shoot here but I don't have enough property here to set up another range. Plus I have close neighbors now and I don't know how much shootin they will tolerate.
I gotta find a piece of property near here and make myself another range.

DRNurse1
06-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Work's for me! It's a little small, now if you had used a 24x36 tarp it would be Hillbilly.

LOL, but not hillbilly shooting range cover, hillbilly guesthouse! Vaquero must shoot those large bore artillery calibers to need that size firing line cover.

Blacksmith
06-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Jim
A camo tarp would make it harder for the drones to spot you.

Jim
06-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Jim
A camo tarp would make it harder for the drones to spot you.

They wouldn't see it if the tarp was blaze orange.

linotype
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
You know, Jim, what you need is to put that Handi Rifle on a CROWS system, so you can use the display screen and joystick from your easy chair in the house.
Just have to figure out how to reload...remotely?