PDA

View Full Version : Fried onion rings, can this be done?

Changeling
06-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I really like fried onion rings, however I don't want the expensive way of maknig them in a deep fat fryer, this is just for me, 1 person and I don't need a BIG batch!

Is there a way to make really good onion rings in a "Cast Iron" pan with olive oil as the "oil" for "1" person ? If so please tell me in detail if possible how you do it?

Thank you.

Gliden07
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Sure you could do that. You could also use a soup pot or a deeper smaller diameter pot, that way you could get the depth to get a real fried type of food and not use a ton of oil. Also get a frying thermometer that will read to 500 or so degrees. Ideal temp is 350-370. I would use a vegetable oil/Safflower rather than Olive Oil, reason being the Olive Oil smoke point is lower than Vegetable Oil/Safflower and the Olive Oil is more money than Vegetable/Safflower.

gbrown
06-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Peanut oil is the traditional "fry" oil, higher smoke temp and can be re-used. See if someone has an old Fry Baby or Fry Daddy, old small electric fryers from the '70's, about perfect for one person. If not, look around flea markets or garage/yard sales for one. Somebody on this forum might have one out in the garage/shed they don't use anymore.

Edit--I got a Wok back in the '80's, came with a small brass/SS basket with very fine mesh for straining oil--still have it, still use it. Will clean almost the smallest particles out. Great for cleaning after frying any batter type food.

StratsMan
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Wait... the perfect deep-fryer-for-1 is..... a lead pot!!! :lol: (New, of course...)

I think I'd stay away from a bottom pour... Seems just the right size for onions... Just don't turn it up too high...

lcclower
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Dip the rings in soft serve ice cream mix, or melted vanilla ice cream, roll 'em in bread crumbs, fry.

If you're trying to use healthy fats try non-hydrogenated (look at the label) coconut oil.

Hickory
06-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Beer Batter for Onion Rings

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
3/4 cup beer
1/2 cup milk
1 eggs
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and dill. Add beer, milk, and egg; mix well. Place onion rings in batter mixture, coat well, and let stand for 15 minutes. Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place onion rings in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in batches to maintain oil temperature.

joec
06-03-2013, 07:36 PM
I do it all the time in a cast iron skillet. The difference for me is I use panko for the bread crumbs as they are just plain crispier than normal bread crumbs. Panko is available now as Kikkoman makes it now also. Also as some one pointed out 350 to 370 degrees and peanut oil.

dbosman
06-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Yes, you can, but...
We have a Fry Daddy in the back of our refrigerator. I use solid shorting. If you pour it out, after it's been cooling a while, you can keep the top oil and clean the gunk. No fluxing required.
Put the lid on stick it back in the fridge.

williamwaco
06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
A "Fry Baby" would be perfect if you can find one.

It would hold no more than a couple of rings at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Presto-Fry-Baby-Deep-Fryer-Clean-/261225223390?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item3cd23c94de

Surculus
06-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Beer Batter for Onion Rings

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
3/4 cup beer
1/2 cup milk
1 eggs
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and dill. Add beer, milk, and egg; mix well. Place onion rings in batter mixture, coat well, and let stand for 15 minutes. Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place onion rings in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in batches to maintain oil temperature.

Thanks for the recipe! Hope you don't mind if I substitute (virtually anything) for the dill weed; I am not a fan! ;)

longusmc
06-03-2013, 11:57 PM
You can still buy a fry daddy new off the shelf.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PRESTO-FRY-DADDY/9219298

We use this all the time for home made french fries and onion rings would be great out of this too.

Hickory
06-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the recipe! Hope you don't mind if I substitute (virtually anything) for the dill weed; I am not a fan! ;)

I should have deleted the dill weed in my post.
I sometimes use this recipe to bread fish, and the dill weed gives it a unique taste.

Changeling
06-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks to all for there suggestions, and to Hickory for the recipe.

Reverend Al
06-14-2013, 09:39 PM
You could try baking them too if you're concerned about fat and the baking is less mess than frying them? We haven't had a chance to try this recipe yet, but it sure sounds tempting!

Baked Chipotle Onion Rings

Ingredients
• 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
• 2-1/4c buttermilk
• 2T-3T adobo sauce from a can of chipotles (2T for a smoky heat, 3T for more of a spicy kick)
• 3/4c Panko crumbs
• 1/3c bread crumbs
• salt and pepper
• Cooking Spray (like Olive Oil spray or Canola Oil Spray)
• coarse sea salt

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, mix buttermilk and adobo sauce until combined. Soak onion rings in adobo buttermilk in refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 450. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix together the Panko, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Set half of the breading mixture aside.
4. Using tongs, dip soaked onions into breading mixture, thoroughly coating on both sides. Place onions onto parchment paper. When breading is used up (or too wet to stick to onions), switch to the other half of breading mixture. Repeat until all the onion rings are coated. Spray entire pan of rings generously with cooking spray.
5. Bake in 450 oven until brown and crispy, 12-15 minutes.
6. Season with coarse sea salt. Serve.

Hickory
06-14-2013, 09:46 PM
You could try baking them too if you're concerned about fat and the baking is less mess than frying them? We haven't had a chance to try this recipe yet, but it sure sounds tempting!

Baked Chipotle Onion Rings

Ingredients
• 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
• 2-1/4c buttermilk
• 2T-3T adobo sauce from a can of chipotles (2T for a smoky heat, 3T for more of a spicy kick)
• 3/4c Panko crumbs
• 1/3c bread crumbs
• salt and pepper
• Cooking Spray (like Olive Oil spray or Canola Oil Spray)
• coarse sea salt

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, mix buttermilk and adobo sauce until combined. Soak onion rings in adobo buttermilk in refrigerator for 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 450. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix together the Panko, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Set half of the breading mixture aside.
4. Using tongs, dip soaked onions into breading mixture, thoroughly coating on both sides. Place onions onto parchment paper. When breading is used up (or too wet to stick to onions), switch to the other half of breading mixture. Repeat until all the onion rings are coated. Spray entire pan of rings generously with cooking spray.
5. Bake in 450 oven until brown and crispy, 12-15 minutes.
6. Season with coarse sea salt. Serve.

I'm gonna have to try this one it sound too good to pass up.

Artful
06-15-2013, 12:10 PM
I am trying to cook healthier so staying away from oil frying most days - but I have found a HOT AIR cooker to work well for making french frys and other items normally fried - so I would think it would work well for onion rings as well.

I second looking second hand for simple appliances - you can save a ton of money at a goodwill / second hand store no matter which appliance you choose - just make sure to test before you buy if they don't pretest and guarantee.

Changeling
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi Artful, I never heard of a HOT AIR cooker, interesting! What brand did you get, I will check them out, thanks.

Hi Reverend Al, I'm with Hickory, that recipe looks to good to pass up!

Thanks to all. With all this excellent input I'm sure I will be able cook them.

Artful, thanks for the information, I'll check them out.

Artful
06-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Mine is old - branded Galloping Gourmet

I cut my Potato or sweet potato fry's spray with Pam (cooking oil) and 15-20 min later - eat 'em
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Humor/P1040826.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Humor/P1040826.jpg.html)
- All the old ones are the same - Fan - heating element (usually 500-600 degrees) - Bowl to put food into and it circulates the hot air around the food that is elevated on rack(s) - you can find the newer ones that have a IR light to help with browning the food. You'll see the same technology listed as Convection Ovens - or for pop corn - air poppers. They come in several sizes from Chicken to Turkey for countertop and as Option on Range or Wall Ovens.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251278840959

info
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Convection-Oven-Buying-Guide/24746/g.html

search Ebay by countertop convection oven - they come in many styles

http://www.squirrelconspiracy.net/decosonic_convection_oven_reference.pdf
http://customwebdesign.tripod.com/perfection_aire_manual.pdf
http://www.squirrelconspiracy.net/decosonic_convection_oven_manual.pdf

Shiloh
06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Minimum 1/2 inch rings.

Shiloh

patsher
06-27-2013, 07:50 PM
One of the tricks I learned watching a restaurant cooking show the other day was to pre-saute the onion rings over moderate heat with a little oil until transparent, and THEN bread and fry them. Completely eliminates the tough, can't-bite-them-in-half onion rings I sometimes get when eating out.

And the other tip is to use GRAPESEED OIL rather than olive oil for frying. As mentioned above, olive oil has a low smoke point. Grapeseed oil has all the health advantages of olive oil, plus it has a higher smoking point, like peanut oil.

jroc
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
BEER BATTER

1 cup flour
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
2 Tbs vinegar
beer
Add enough beer to make as thick or thin as you want

We use this for anything we fry when we want a thicker battered coating. The less beer the thicker - more beer makes it thinner.

For a lighter breading we use:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1Tbs. salt
1/4 Tbs. Garlic POWDER
1/4 Tbs. Black Pepper

Beat up an egg or two and dip what ever your frying in egg then coat with breading.

Thumbs up on the peanut oil. Coconut oil isn't bad either and I guess it is supposed to be as healthy if deep frying can be healthy and it holds up to heat.

OBIII
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Those hot air convection stoves are also good for roasting green coffee beans. That's what I use mine for.
OB

oldscool
07-23-2013, 02:22 AM
I wonder how anybody ever got along without the "new" oils to cook with. Used to be lard, bacon grease, crisco, or vegetable oil got the job done quite well and even tasted pretty good:shock:

762 shooter
07-23-2013, 07:31 AM
This batter will have you looking for things to fry. The last time I made onion rings, I drizzled the rest of the batter into the fry pot and made fried batter worms. Ummmmmmm good. This closely approximates Captain D's fish batter.

Marinating the rings in the beer gives them a texture that will not pull your ring out of the batter when you take a bite.

Pay attention to the thickness of the final batter. It must be thick enough to give a good coat.

I highly recommend.

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/9872227/beer-battered-onion-rings-cooks-country/

MT Gianni
07-23-2013, 02:17 PM
I should have deleted the dill weed in my post.
I sometimes use this recipe to bread fish, and the dill weed gives it a unique taste.

It brought a laugh to me as I worked withan old gent who insulted people by referring to them as "Dill Weed".
When my daughter was 4 or 5 we went out and she ordered onion rings which she loved. It took longer than expected and the comments were running, Maybe they have to catch the chicken, or find some beef when my wife said " maybe they had to plant the onions for the rings. Her comment was astonishment and a classic "there's ONIONS in onion rings"?. We loved it, enjoy the rings if you can still eat fried foods.

cat223
07-26-2013, 01:40 AM
I do love a good batch of onion rings. I will be sharing this thread with the head chef (my wife).

Bad Water Bill
07-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Well I never heard of grapeseed oil so I had to check it out.

Some folks are even more proud of that then we are about gun stuff

Wal Mart $106.00 for a 106 OZ jug. :twisted:

Think I will stick with peanut oil.:bigsmyl2:

Col4570
07-26-2013, 07:00 AM
oldscool,we have gone back to lard for most cooking,but use corn Oil for French Fries.Lard seems to cook Meat and enhance the flavour.I would think that Corn Oil would be good for Onion Rings in Batter.

lavenatti
07-26-2013, 07:12 AM
+1 on the grapeseed oil.

No flavor from it either, very "clean" taste after frying.

MaryB
07-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Processed oils are very bad for you, lard, butter, chicken fat, natural fats are best for you.

Changeling
07-27-2013, 03:31 PM
It brought a laugh to me as I worked withan old gent who insulted people by referring to them as "Dill Weed".
When my daughter was 4 or 5 we went out and she ordered onion rings which she loved. It took longer than expected and the comments were running, Maybe they have to catch the chicken, or find some beef when my wife said " maybe they had to plant the onions for the rings. Her comment was astonishment and a classic "there's ONIONS in onion rings"?. We loved it, enjoy the rings if you can still eat fried foods.

That was funny! I don't have any problems with eating fried foods, I am just trying to make things a little more healthy for my body, therefore the "olive oil". Actually I eat fried food/grilled most every day. It's the kind of oil one uses that can kill you.

Artful
12-08-2013, 02:45 AM
I found some reasonably priced frozen onion rings and they are dandy when cooked in the hot air cooker - I have upgraded to a smaller IR hot air cooker - so you have to watch 'em as they go from golden brown and delicious to cajun style, to oh, my gosh they are for the dogs real quick.

w5pv
12-08-2013, 10:06 AM
another way to clean oil,bacon drippings etc is to let the oil cool down and add enough water to float the oil,bring to a low heat boil and cool.The water with the dregs will settle to the bottom leaving nice clean oil on top.Carefully pour oil off the water.

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Another tip I just read.

If your oil picks up a strange taste (due to what you have cooked) placce 2 slices of bread or sprinkle DRIED parsley on the oils surface and deep fry it.

Remove the fried bread or parsley and your oil will be as fresh as when it poured out of the original comtainer.

bikerbeans
12-08-2013, 11:18 AM
About 2 years ago I lost 85 pounds and I have kept it off. Now I am using copy/paste on these deep fried onion ring recipes. I think trouble may be headed my way. ;-)

BB

Artful
12-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Remember it's a treat - not daily feed

bikerbeans
12-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Remember it's a treat - not daily feed

Treat?!?! I thought onions are a vegetable. [smilie=l:

BB

Artful
12-09-2013, 11:04 PM
It is and Chocolate is a fruit - the point is consumption of high processed foods should be in moderation.

Eat your Salad please.

oscarflytyer
12-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Shallow pan and oil - yes. Few at a time. Olive oil - I wouldn't. It has a much lower flash point than other oils. Would recommend Peanut oil - much higher flash point.

Changeling
12-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Well I never heard of grapeseed oil so I had to check it out.

Some folks are even more proud of that then we are about gun stuff

Wal Mart $106.00 for a 106 OZ jug. :twisted:

Think I will stick with peanut oil.:bigsmyl2:

When I pay $106.00 for something to cook with, it better dam site have Red or Blond hair, have really nice "FEET", and wear practically nothing!
For starters![smilie=s: