PDA

View Full Version : Will having a hole drilled in the tang for lyman sight reduce value?

pdog109
06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Hello everyone.
I recently bought a Winchester 94 made in 1950, she's a real beauty.
http://i.imgur.com/SEfo528.jpg

I really want to put a Lyman tang sight on but I don't have the upper hole for the screw so I would need to have it drilled and tapped.
Was wondering if that would decrease the value? This is my first lever action and I'm in love but i'm hesitant to have another man drill a hole in her.
Also, seems like a silly question but does the tang sight interfere with you're hand holding the weapon?
I would imagine not or else they wouldn't continue to be produced but i don't know.
As an alternative i was thinking about getting this barrel mounted peep sight, but it just doesn't look right, but does anyone else have one of these on their rifles and what do you think about them?
http://skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

Thanks for answering my silly noob questions in advance, i'll probably have some more soon.

jh45gun
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Yes collectors want the guns not drilled or tapped anywhere. Go with the Skinner since it is reversible. Just do not loose the rear sight when you take it off.

Are you sure that gun has not been refinished? The stock and forearm look too good for gun of that vintage. Usually on older Winchesters you never see the hood on the front sight most guys that hunt with them do not like that hood and take it off.

pdog109
06-03-2013, 06:35 PM
I don't know if i'll ever sell it anyway but that is good to know, thanks.
Not sure if it was refinished or not i guess it could have been but i wouldn't know how to tell.
There's some scratches forward of the loading gate probably from sloppy loading and another scratch down the left side of the reciever and some on the stock.
I do plan on going hunting with it later, the hood shouldn't be a problem just have to see how the sight picture would look with the skinner.

Norbrat
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I have used crazy glue to stick down the front of a tang sight on a friend's lever action, who also did not want the tang d & t'd. It's holding fine and can be removed without leaving a mark if he ever wants to remove it.

As for holding the rifle witha tang sight; you get in the habit of holding your thumb along side the stock where the sight is, rather than try to wrap it over the stock behind the sight. This also helps to avoid cutting the skin of the thumb under recoil.

Marvin S
06-03-2013, 07:14 PM
If it's been refinished go ahead and have it drilled but consider a receiver sight instead of the tang sight.

pdog109
06-03-2013, 07:44 PM
If it's been refinished go ahead and have it drilled but consider a receiver sight instead of the tang sight.

Now yall got me thinking if its not worth as much if it was refinished and that i got had?
I paid $500 for it, not bad i think considering i saw one of these brand new made in japan ones going for $1000 at the store the other day.

Baja_Traveler
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I've got two commemoratives - a buffalo bill 30-30 and a legendary frontiersman 38-55 both with drilled and tapped tangs right through the signatures that Winchester put there. I use them in levergun silhouette matches and have MVA soule sights mounted - I figured they are shooters, not collectors. When I'm dead the next guy can cuss me for drilling the tangs....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

williamwaco
06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Look at marbles tang sights.

They use the existing screw holes.

I have one on my M92.

No drilling, no tapping, - completely reversible.

cwheel
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Your 1950 94 sure looks better than mine. Mine is a 1940 that has the Marbles tang sight. You will find yours is drilled for the Marbles as well. I like the Marbles much better than the Lyman because the Marbles has windage adjustment, Lyman doesn't. Marbles costs more than Lyman, think Midway still sells them, screws come with them. 7253572534Here is a pic of mine mounted ( not by me ) on the rifle, looks like it's been there forever. Yes, mine does have the sight hood on it as well, and at least I don't find it to be a problem. I set my tang sight for a zero at 250 yards, The buckhorn sight is set 2" high at 100. don't think I'll ever use this rifle to go any further. You will find it unnecessary to remove the other sight, with the tang sight in the up position, it doesn't get in the way of the barrel mounted one.
Chris

jh45gun
06-03-2013, 10:19 PM
In today;s market 500 dollars for a good Winchester PRE 94 is a good price even if it has been refinished. Just saying that if it was refinished it is worth less because of it. Very well could be that price is reflecting that it could be refinished. Did you check the serial number to see if it was made in 1950? Or are you going what the seller said? Just curious. You can check Winchester serial numbers online.

Ruber
06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Now yall got me thinking if its not worth as much if it was refinished and that i got had?
I paid $500 for it, not bad i think considering i saw one of these brand new made in japan ones going for $1000 at the store the other day.

Right now, around here, $500 for a shootable 50's era '94 is pretty good. Take a look at what the Rangers and rebounding hammer carbines are going for. I saw one of the 30-30 Rangers in about 90% condition go for $499 in about 5 minutes a month ago.

The tang site would be nice, especially if it's a shooter. But I always felt they should be on the rifles and buckhorn or receiver peep sights for the carbines. Just my personal preference.

Enjoy that nice '94!!

TXGunNut
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Nice rifle. Does the left side of the rifle have two small holes D&T'd? I like the looks of a tang sight but I prefer using receiver sights.

imashooter2
06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes, drilling a hole will decrease the resale value. Are a few more dollars in your estate worth the lifetime of pleasure lost? Make your gun the way you want it.

TXGunNut
06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes, drilling a hole will decrease the resale value. Are a few more dollars in your estate worth the lifetime of pleasure lost? Make your gun the way you want it.

+1. Rifle looks like a shooter, make it work for you. Collectors are pretty fickle so trying not to offend them is a lost cause.

pdog109
06-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Look at marbles tang sights.

They use the existing screw holes.

I have one on my M92.

No drilling, no tapping, - completely reversible.

I don't see how it would fit in securly without a top screw, the marbles base looks the same, screw on the bottom and another on the top?

Nice rifle. Does the left side of the rifle have two small holes D&T'd? I like the looks of a tang sight but I prefer using receiver sights.

Nope, no holes at all.

In today;s market 500 dollars for a good Winchester PRE 94 is a good price even if it has been refinished. Just saying that if it was refinished it is worth less because of it. Very well could be that price is reflecting that it could be refinished. Did you check the serial number to see if it was made in 1950? Or are you going what the seller said? Just curious. You can check Winchester serial numbers online.

He told me 1951 but yeah i checked when i got back and its 1950 for sure.

yooper
06-03-2013, 11:37 PM
If your '94 is SN 1,350,000 or higher, it won't be drilled for the tang peep sight. Drilling such a carbine would really decrease its value. Your gun looks like a beauty and if the finish is original, and it could well be, you got a steal at $500. Personally, I wouldn't do ANYTHING to alter it without an evaluation from somebody that knows Winchesters. You could pay $200 to buy and have a tang peep sight mounted and it would cost you another $500 in loss of value. Just my $.02.
yooper
Charter & Life Member Winchester Arms Collector's Assn.

hightime
06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Did you buy it to resell? That's the real question. I buy everyone of my guns to shoot and keep. I wouldn't think twice about drilling it. Your gun will look cool and shoot better with the tang sight.

pdog109
06-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Did you buy it to resell? That's the real question. I buy everyone of my guns to shoot and keep. I wouldn't think twice about drilling it. Your gun will look cool and shoot better with the tang sight.

I think you guys convinced me to spend more money and get a tang sight. :-D
Well i found this tang site for the legacy model it apparently only uses one screw, wonder if it would work but i'm thinking it won't since the dimenions might be different?
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Winchester-Legacy94/MVC-006F.jpg

hightime
06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
I had that one. I believe the reason for that specific one is the pistol grip stock has more drop and also the tang peep. That's a Marbles, right?

Owen

btroj
06-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I would drill it in a heartbeat. My gun. I own shooters, not safe queens. I don't planon selling any of my guns so I don't fret over modifications.

bob208
06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
i don't intend to sell it. now that line has cost more money then i can count. first they spend the money to modify a gun then a year or two later something happens and they need money. so they try to sell it for what it would have been worth they paid for the work. the best they can get is maybe half.

truckjohn
06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Don't drill it...
Remember that these rifles are getting fewer and fewer every year as they are lost to Time and Neglect....

There are also plenty of rifles out there with beautiful barrels that have been drilled for this or that.... (For example, scope mounts...) You can pick up one of those for very little $$$ in comparison...

Just to give you an idea... I picked up a 1948 Marlin 336 a couple weeks ago.. FIRST year of the 336.... Someone had D&T'ed it for a scope - and I got it for $300.00... It had sat around at that price too.... Barrel is Pristine and it's super accurate... but if it wasn't drilled and tapped - it would have disappeared quickly at $500+... so figure a 50% price reduction just for that....

Thanks

Duckiller
06-04-2013, 05:14 PM
There are 8 million 94s out there. Your gun is very nice looking. What did you get if for? Safe Queen or hunter? I am 70 years old and have never sold a gun. Bought a bunch, given some to my children but never sold one. May break that rule soon. Trade a year 1 Model 71 down on a 16ga Model 21. You probably shouldn't do realy weird things to any gun. Hunters and collectors are looking for different things and they pay different prices. Is your gun realy unique? Is it a collector gun? If so put it in a safe and forget about it. If it is a hunter make it a deadly Bambi killer and put goods sights on it.

pdog109
06-04-2013, 07:37 PM
There are 8 million 94s out there. Your gun is very nice looking. What did you get if for? Safe Queen or hunter? I am 70 years old and have never sold a gun. Bought a bunch, given some to my children but never sold one. May break that rule soon. Trade a year 1 Model 71 down on a 16ga Model 21. You probably shouldn't do realy weird things to any gun. Hunters and collectors are looking for different things and they pay different prices. Is your gun realy unique? Is it a collector gun? If so put it in a safe and forget about it. If it is a hunter make it a deadly Bambi killer and put goods sights on it.

I want to take it hunting this fall, i've never been hunting before but my buddy has been since he was a kid so i'll learn from him.
I don't like the way any of the reciever sights look and they would require more than 1 hole to mount so there out, i've read that the barrel mounted sights aren't good because there not close to your eye. So that leaves the tang sights, i'm really liking the marble ones now since they have clickable elevation and windage gauge.

jh45gun
06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Do not believe every thing you read. Open sights if you have young eyes or still good eyes at an older age are perfectly fine. For us older guys A fiber optic front sight makes sense if you do not want to drill and tap. Some one posted there are 8 million 94s out there most of them either used the open sights as is or a receiver peep sight to kill deer and other critters including man and did it well.

Norbrat
06-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Try fitting the sight with the rear screw only and epoxy under the base.

If you find it doesn't hold, you can always D&T.

Lead Fred
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
With the world with one foot in the grave, I dont care about how much my 1949 Winnie is worth. It came with a tang peep on it.
Dont know where it came from, or how long its been on.
First thing I did was sand blast it, and Duracoat the entire thing.
100 years from now, my great grand kids can still be fighting tyranny with it.
Being the bluing was all but gone, and it had safe queen surface rust on it. I do not regret what Ive done.
The ballard rifling is crisp and sharp, had zero wear, so It will shoot longer than Ill be around to shoot it.

searcher4851
06-04-2013, 10:41 PM
I guess my question would be would it decrease the value to who? If you don't like the existing sights, want the tang sight, and the tang sight helps you shoot it more accurately, then wouldn't the value to YOU be increased? If you bought it as an investment, then yes, drilling it would reduce the premium you could get from a Winchester collector/purist, and you probably shouldn't be hunting with it in the first place. Myself, I would go with the tang sight. (the Marbles) The increased sight radius can only improve your accuracy. JMHO

izzyjoe
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Amen! it's your's, do with it what you please. there are so many of those around, i think everybobdy has two, or more! i would use the williams reciever sight, the holes are already there.

M-Tecs
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Amen! it's your's, do with it what you please. there are so many of those around, i think everybobdy has two, or more! i would use the williams reciever sight, the holes are already there.

I don't believe they started drilling and tapping them until 1954.

pdog109
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
I guess my question would be would it decrease the value to who? If you don't like the existing sights, want the tang sight, and the tang sight helps you shoot it more accurately, then wouldn't the value to YOU be increased? If you bought it as an investment, then yes, drilling it would reduce the premium you could get from a Winchester collector/purist, and you probably shouldn't be hunting with it in the first place. Myself, I would go with the tang sight. (the Marbles) The increased sight radius can only improve your accuracy. JMHO

Just plunked down and got the marbles, think i'll be happy with em read alot of good things so far, seen a youtube vid of a person firing with the tang sights with their thumb on the side doesn't look too awkward but if it increases accuracy then seems worth it.

2Tite
06-05-2013, 12:29 AM
You might need a taller front sight to go with the tang site. I say this so that you won't freak out when you can't get the gun zeroed after you install the tang sight. It might work out OK, mine didn't.

pdog109
06-05-2013, 02:21 AM
You might need a taller front sight to go with the tang site. I say this so that you won't freak out when you can't get the gun zeroed after you install the tang sight. It might work out OK, mine didn't.

Thanks for the heads up i'll keep that in mind when its all set up.

ironhead7544
06-05-2013, 07:26 AM
I would get the Skinner. I didnt think a forward mounted peep would work for me but it is just fine. Cut my groups down quite a bit.

pdog109
06-05-2013, 07:48 AM
I would get the Skinner. I didnt think a forward mounted peep would work for me but it is just fine. Cut my groups down quite a bit.

I wanted to give the skinners a try, but i honestly do not like the way the look on the rifle, they just look blocky and out of the place, not sleek at all.
Maybe if they redesigned the sight base, but it just looks like a brick of steel on top of a sleek rounded rifle, doesn't seem to fit.
It might sound superficial and shallow but its the way i feel, tang sights add to the look, and i should be able to keep the buckhorn sights in place.
I just don't wanna take away from the classic look, and i feel the tang sights add alot to it, thats just me.

ironhead7544
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Agree about the looks. Time to find a gunsmith.

gnoahhh
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Not drilling a hole for a tang sight in something as common as aM94 is like putting plastic slip covers on the new sofa or a bra on a Mazda Miata front end. Why keep it nice for the next guy?

truckjohn
06-05-2013, 10:34 AM
It's a pre-64... It's an American Icon that's in high demand by people who will pay REAL MONEY to have one like it is.... You can't un-drill holes.... Leave it alone....

Value wise... I am seeing at least in the $700.00 range for guns in 70-80% on GB's completed auctions... Yours in 95% is probably pushing $1,000.... Those $700 rifles have plenty of scratches and dings..... Figure at least 50% less when they have extra holes in it - because you won't be selling it to a Collector - you will be selling it to a Shooter... and he has 8-million OTHER 94's to pick from....

Read my post again about the Marlin... I bought it from a Dealer for $300.... The Original Owner probably only got $150 for it from the dealer... and it would have been a $600.00 rifle unmolested... 1/4 of it's value....

Thanks

Ruber
06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
It's a pre-64... It's an American Icon that's in high demand by people who will pay REAL MONEY to have one like it is.... You can't un-drill holes.... Leave it alone....

Value wise... I am seeing at least in the $700.00 range for guns in 70-80% on GB's completed auctions... Yours in 95% is probably pushing $1,000.... Those $700 rifles have plenty of scratches and dings..... Figure at least 50% less when they have extra holes in it - because you won't be selling it to a Collector - you will be selling it to a Shooter... and he has 8-million OTHER 94's to pick from....

Read my post again about the Marlin... I bought it from a Dealer for $300.... The Original Owner probably only got $150 for it from the dealer... and it would have been a $600.00 rifle unmolested... 1/4 of it's value....

Thanks

The post-war 94s haven't held the same value as the rest of the pre-64 models for collectible purposes. They are fetching great prices because they make great shooters, especially with all the modern options (or lack thereof).

What I've been seeing is not much difference between a 70% and 90% 1950's era 94, but that they are all increasing in price because of a renewed interest in traditional shooting sports. Two years ago, we had maybe 5-7 people showing up for cowboy silhouette matches, this year there are regularly 15-20 people, mostly new, and all wanting pre-64 Win 94's to use at the matches. While it maybe difficult to fully recover costs, most of these folks would see a well done tang mounted sight as a real plus.

If this were a first year gun, a limited run model, or in pristine condition, it would be a different story. But it sounds like he bought a shooter at a shooter price for the purpose of... shooting.

yooper
06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Your post is titled "Will having a hole drilled in the tang for Lyman sight reduce value?" The answer is a definite "YES, IT WILL REDUCE VALUE". The rest of the arguments about whether or not it's a good idea and if it will help with your enjoyment are really irrelevant to your original question. If your only concern is about value, don't do it.
yooper

Four Fingers of Death
06-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I have been thinking of getting the tang mega clean with alcohol or similar and glue it on using Araldite or some such.

Jeff in NZ I think it is has several rifles with the scope mounts glued on which had stood up to years of use without problems. Bit of heat and a clean up and you are back to scratch later on.

I reckon it is worth a try anyway.

40-82 hiker
06-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Hello everyone.
I recently bought a Winchester 94 made in 1950, she's a real beauty.
http://i.imgur.com/SEfo528.jpg

I really want to put a Lyman tang sight on but I don't have the upper hole for the screw so I would need to have it drilled and tapped.
Was wondering if that would decrease the value?

If you intend to shoot and have fun with this rifle, it is my honest opinion to drill it and do not worry about it. At $500 I would really have fun with it. Good price!

Duckiller
06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Stick the tang sight on with a screw that fits and epoxy the other end of the base. If it doesn't stick clean up with acetone. At least you will find out if you like the tang sight. Enjoy

jcameron996
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't own a single firearm that I am not will to take out and shoot. Some are prettier than others and I am particular about what I use them for to keep them that way. That being said it is yours and if you want the sight then have it drilled, tapped and installed, but have someone that you trust to do it right. It would almost be a crime to have that job botched. Our sport will only be made stronger by people shooting and enjoying our firearms. Safe queens hiding from everyone in safe aren't really enjoyed by anyone.

double8
06-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I had my 1926 '94 32 special reblued by a competent 'smith 50 years ago. Back then we were not looking for resale value. That 'smith did a beautiful job, took it all apart and polished the metal and rust blued it. It looks great to this day. LGS guys these days will downgrade any gun if it is reblued. Of course they will downgrade it if it is a bit worn and missing the original bluing too.

Cosmiceyes
06-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes it does. There is a Tang Sight at Midway you could get,and probably enjoy more!

bstarling
06-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I have been thinking of getting the tang mega clean with alcohol or similar and glue it on using Araldite or some such.

Jeff in NZ I think it is has several rifles with the scope mounts glued on which had stood up to years of use without problems. Bit of heat and a clean up and you are back to scratch later on.
I reckon it is worth a try anyway.

That is the way to go without drilling. A good epoxy cement is stronger than most can imagine. Even if it were to pop off, not likely, it is really easy to re glue. I've used some in gun work and it is really good strong stuff. Don't go for the 5 minute stuff, get one of the slower setting thick ones. I've used JB Weld before, but it is sort of runny and I've used PC7 which is thick and way strong. Also Maine Tec works well.

Bill

pdog109
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Hey guys, i put the tang sight on with only the one screw i think it should be good enough it wouldn't move much just have to see how it shoots with it. I might put the glue on method later but really don't think its necessary?
Only have to remove the rear sight now and put a blank filler.
One question though, does it matter how far back/forward the tang mounted?
Should the sight go all the way back and be flush with the back of the tang or not? I just put it in the middle of the slot seemed to make sense.
Yes i cocked up the screw lol don't laugh at me i didn't know i had to make the screw shorter. :(
http://i.imgur.com/qdKv8eu.jpg

Only reason i ask is because i have a buttstock cover that adds about half an inch to the buttplate so therefore i'm thinkin my eye will be half inch further from the sight. But it seems to sight in nice, i can look through the peep and the front post is in the rear notch lined up.
Here she is almost ready, pretty ain't she i'm in love. :)
http://i.imgur.com/PAIsI3L.jpg

Shot her a few weeks ago and was all over the place, but i think that was more user error than the rifle. :)
Excited to see how this tang sight performs.

Jon K
07-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Drill & tap and don't worry about it.
In 1950, it could still be special ordered "drill & tapped" for tang sight, or with tang sight. Although "Production gun" was not drilled & tapped for tang sight.

Just Enjoy it, and Have Fun Shooting!

Jon

KCSO
07-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Depends on hw it's done a good job will add to the value a boogered up off center hole wil detract. Don't let the guy who boogered the rear screw do the work.

Greg B.
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a Model 64 carbine (similar to the 94 action) made in the 1940' s. As one of the other fellows stated put on a Williams receiver mounted sight. I removed the buckhorn sight and using a hacksaw and files made a small brass plug for the dovetail cut. Looks good, doesn't interfere with the grip and is completely reverseable.

pdog109
07-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I would not put a sling through the magazine tube like that and carry it. Lots of accuracy is lost by pressure points on the magazine tube & forearm. Seem like it would bend easy.

Hmmm didn't know about that seems sturdy though guess i can wrap it around the entire barrel/mag tube instead of just the tube.