PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Lyman 429383 today!

Ithaca Gunner
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I've admired this design for years, but always cast and shot Keith style boolits in my .44s just because, I guess. I got to thinking how much paper punching I do vs how much I actually carry a .44 for shooting something that really needs a Keith boolit. The 429383 was ordered within minutes!

I just want a pleasant, accurate, low recoil load for ventilating cans, rouge rocks, and the occasional offensive piece of paper with a black circle on it...I want the original .44 boolit!

I think something in the 700fps range will suit my needs, loaded with small charges of Bullseye, or Red Dot.

Anybody else use this classic?

45 2.1
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I think something in the 700fps range will suit my needs, loaded with small charges of Bullseye, or Red Dot. Anybody else use this classic?

Yes... it is an excellent boolit, although not the first RN 44 boolit. The Lyman 429251 or 429384 generally get those honors. My first 44 Special was a little weak CA Bulldog. The 429383 over 4.0 gr. of Bullseye was an excellent performer in it..... and in later guns as well.

rintinglen
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I like 5.0 grains of Red Dot in an N-frame Smith or my Ruger Blackhawk Flattop. It is extraordinarily accurate. That big round nose may not be the be-all, end-all of defensive stoppers, but it is a real humdinger for putting holes in paper. It works well for IDPA reloads, much better than sharp-shouldered SWC's or WC's.

Ithaca Gunner
06-06-2013, 05:56 AM
I'll be loading it in both .44Spl. and .44Mag. for a 4" S&W 629. I'm following a thought I got from Hand Loader magazine a few months back that a round nose boolit may have an advantage over other types in that it's round nose mat help center it in the forcing cone, producing better accuracy than other types might. Anyway, that's my excuse for buying this mold, (besides, I really like the looks of a good round nose boolit in a big revolver cartridge!).

Piedmont
06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
I'll be loading it in both .44Spl. and .44Mag. for a 4" S&W 629. I'm following a thought I got from Hand Loader magazine a few months back that a round nose boolit may have an advantage over other types in that it's round nose mat help center it in the forcing cone, producing better accuracy than other types might. Anyway, that's my excuse for buying this mold, (besides, I really like the looks of a good round nose boolit in a big revolver cartridge!).

The only fly in the ointment to that thinking is many of the roundnose bullets that do so well have a front band and then a reduced diameter nose. I can believe the self-centering argument on something like those Lee non-tumblelube roundnoses that bleed into the ogive, but if we have a separate band with subdiameter nose I can't see how that would self-center any better than a Keith or SWC.

I am not disputing the argument that roundnoses shoot well, and probably better than other designs, just the why of it.

L Ross
06-06-2013, 10:21 PM
My 383 is an old Ideal with no vent lines but still drops nice bullets and Ithaca Gunner you are right they just look right some how. Probably a holdover from my childhood when my Dad had 1800# of collectable ammo in the old farm house 50 years ago. I just cast up a bunch for my Lipsey Ruger Flat Top Bisley. I couldn't wait for them to season a week though and shot a few "green" so to speak. Haven't put 'em on paper but I blew a bunch of discs off the rail the other day. An old single cavity like that might not drop a bunch fast but I'm just happy to have one.

Duke

theperfessor
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Don't have the Lyman but I do have the lee 429-240-2R and its a dandy. Six cavities give a lot of bullets in a hurry.

Ithaca Gunner
06-07-2013, 04:59 AM
I think L Ross hit it, it just looks right! I used the, "a round nose may self center" as a final argument with myself to buy the mold, but the real reason is, they really do look right.

gray wolf
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Be us young--or be us old---
Some of us still like the cool factor, or ( hey man that really looks cool )

Ithaca Gunner
06-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Be us young--or be us old---
Some of us still like the cool factor, or ( hey man that really looks cool )

You're 100% correct, sir!