PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder Slide Damage and Faiure To Feed Problems

Four-Sixty
06-03-2013, 02:36 PM
I recently bought a used Bersa Thunder .380. I noticed a slight bit of damage to the botom of the slide where it meets the trigger disconnector. I used the gun for awhile and noticed more and more damage showing up. I also started to have a problem with failing to feed. I pulled up the Bersa website and contacted some warranty repair locations. Bersa's policy is that they have a lifetime warranty for the original buyer. Since I admitted to being the second buyer, I had no warranty. Of the three Warranty Centers I contacted, only one replied to my email.

Fortunately, this one shop cared enough to actually call me to discuss the problem. The person who called me is the proprieter, C. Royce Honeycutt. The resolution, it turns out, is that the slide damage I noticed was normal. It was due to a decision by Bersa to allow what I'd term "allowing the slide to wear in". The failure to feed problem was because I was putting in the recoil spring the wrong way! As the gun was heating up, the spring was binding causing the jamming! (Just so you're aware, put the spring on such that it is harder, not easier to insert. The narrower end of the spring is supposed to go over the barrel.)

Mr. Honeycutt also informed me that the Sellier and Belot .380 ammo may be troublesome for your Bersa as the S&B ammo does not incorporate a taper on the rim common to other .380 ammo. I was using some S&B ammo to!

I want to give a shout-out to C. Royce Honeycutt of Colorado Gun Works in Indiana. Thank you for helping me to get an answer on a problem and a concern I was having with my Bersa.

Colorado Gun Works has recently relocated from the state of Colorado to the state of Indiana. Colorado Gun Works offers warranty repairs on Bersa, MSR, SPS, MAC, Metro Arms, American Classic and Firestorm. Mr. Honeycutt can be reached via email at cgwgunsmith@coloradogunworks.com if you need warranty work on most of the brands above. He expects to reopen his retail line of non-warranty gunsmithing soon.