PDA

View Full Version : Making shot shell shot

SWANEEDB
06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
A friend is going to try and make his own shot, what is the best lead to use? He has a mixture of hard and soft in it's org form, Thanks for any help.

fecmech
06-03-2013, 02:19 PM
It's my understanding the factory "magnum" or hard shot is generally 5-6% antimony and the soft or "chilled shot is about 1-2% antimony.

Vinne
06-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Wheel weighs is the best all around metal for making shot...when you can get it.

leadman
06-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Clip on WW was the only alloy that made round shot in my Littleton. Even if they are a little egg shaped the still shoot good.

blltsmth
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Before anyone even starts this endeavor, go here:http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15776. THAT'S 42 PAGES OF INFO THAT WILL PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT TRACK SO YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T!!! I bought a Littleton quite a few years ago and got my eyes opened. If you have a couple of tons of WW lead lying around, that's a good start.The shot maker will chew through that in a couple of days and then you can roll it/sort it/bag it/graphite it and shoot it. TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THIS MATERIAL FIRST AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Don

blltsmth
06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
As another aside, look up u-tube videos and see what some people are doing to mass-produce shot. PRETTY DEDICATED!!!