PDA

View Full Version : looking for help

srdougm
06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I have watched the you tube videos and read a lot of articles on this site and would like to meet someone in the inland empire that casts and would let me see their setup and watch them cast. I think this would shorten the learning curve a lot. I bought a couple of molds and am shopping for the rest of the equipment.
I live in yucaipa.

thanks

PS Paul
06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, srdougm. As you may already have discovered, some videos are better than others on youtube. ha ha!!

CowboyT, otherwise known as SF Liberal with a Gun on youTube, has made some pretty good and informative videos on the subject. I started casting/reloading almost thirty years ago and I had NOBODY to show me or help me or mentor me. Therefore, I went through ALL the trial and error on my own too. If only Castboolits had been around (or the internet too, he he) I'd have had 15 years ahead of the game by the time I started....... Alas, I learned A LOT about the wrong way to do things too, but thank God I have NEVER had a visit from Mrs. Tinsel Fairy. Yet. Still got time for THAT to happen, though.

I do hope you find someone to partner with out there. I imagine there are several members who are in your neck of the woods?

Good luck and happy shootin'!
PS P

DRNurse1
06-16-2013, 09:08 AM
I didn't realize Kalifornia allowed casting! There is so much they forbid, melting, smelting, and casting are likely included. Check in with your local Gun Clubs, Black Powder folks, and ranges. Some casters hang out there.

OBIII
06-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Put an ad in Craigslist, especially around the Yucca Valley area. We have a member from there, I just can't remember who. But that may be one way to find like minds around you.
OB

woody13
08-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Im in Orange County and can help if you do not mind the drive. Just PM me.....

stringtown gunner
08-17-2013, 10:50 AM
boolitmaster, I am new to the site and am badly in need of help. I shoot a .44 mag handgun. years ago a bought some alloy bullets. I am not sure what the alloy is, but they are 233.02773 grains if my conversion math is correct. I am unable to find anyone that can tell me what powder measurement to use reloading them. can you help me? I have reloaded before but used a standard 240gr bullet and had plenty of info for that. even the local gunshop can't help me with this dilemma and suggested I get on line and maybe someone could give me a recipe for the reload. so far castboolits seems to be the best web site I've encountered. I want to thank you for your time and effort regardless.

Love Life
08-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Use 240 gr data. Start at the start load, and work up (depending on the powder). Use your loading manual as your guide...

NewbieDave007
08-17-2013, 11:16 AM
boolitmaster, I am new to the site and am badly in need of help. I shoot a .44 mag handgun. years ago a bought some alloy bullets. I am not sure what the alloy is, but they are 233.02773 grains if my conversion math is correct. I am unable to find anyone that can tell me what powder measurement to use reloading them. can you help me? I have reloaded before but used a standard 240gr bullet and had plenty of info for that. even the local gunshop can't help me with this dilemma and suggested I get on line and maybe someone could give me a recipe for the reload. so far castboolits seems to be the best web site I've encountered. I want to thank you for your time and effort regardless.

Use 240 gr data. Start at the start load, and work up (depending on the powder). Use your loading manual as your guide...

Just throwing it out there but your 233gr is 97% of the 240gr data that you said you have, which in my world is pretty darn close, so I would say that Love Life has the right idea. Now as a math nerd it worries me that you said "...if my math conversion is correct." If you want to throw out there the measurement that you got in whatever unit, then I'm sure one of us would be more than happy to double check that conversion.

Thanks.
Dave

p.s. You can also use this site for conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Zymurgy50
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Using a boolit that is 3% lighter than load data suggests is not going to get you in any trouble. However, where you might get into trouble is using a MUCH heavier projectile with a powder charge for a lighter boolit (say a 320gn boolit with data for a 240gn)

Zymurgy50
08-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Just one example: look in your loading manual at the .223Rem data. Most loading manuals list the same charges of powder for a 52-53gn bullet and 55gn bullets