PDA

View Full Version : Seals on Wine bottle

trapper9260
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I like to ask dose anyone know what the metal seals on wine bottles are if it is made of tin.I know there is your plastic ones then you have some that is metal .If it is tin can it be use to add to alloy for maken bullets. I am just looking for another source of tin that if any comes up .Thank you for your help .

cf5757
06-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Different materials are used. Commercial corked wine bottles typically have a protective sleeve called a foil (commonly referred to as a "capsule") covering the top of the bottle. The purpose of which is to protect the cork from being gnawed away by rodents or infested with the cork weevil and to serve as collar to catch small drips when pouring. The foil also serves as a decorative element of the bottle's label. Foils were historically made of lead; However, because of research showing that trace amounts of toxic lead could remain on the lip of the bottle and mix with the poured wine,[7] lead foil bottleneck wrapping were slowly phased out, and by the 1990s,[8] most foils were made of tin, heat-shrink plastic (polyethylene or PVC), or aluminium or polylaminate aluminium. Sealing wax is sometimes used, or the foil can be omitted entirely.[9] In the US, the FDA officially banned lead foils on domestic and imported wine bottles as of 1996.[10]

randyrat
06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I melt a bunch of them down for pure Sn ingots. The winery I get mine thru use 99.9% pure Sn ,,,I read the label on a box of new ones. The seals I get are rejected seals and they are saved for me to recycle.

el34
06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Man I'm thinkin you gotta drink a bu++load of wine to get one tin ingot. Too bad beer doesn't come in tin cans.

trapper9260
06-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks all for your help .I been coming across some and wanted to make sure that it is what you all stated.Oh beer use to be in steel cans years ago i have some around that is all rusted up too bad it was tin also. just look for all the outlets for what is found around that can be used for one thing or another.

Daffy
06-05-2013, 07:00 PM
grey goose is a tin seal, but i don't recommend the household consumption method as a way to build a tin supply. but if ya happen to know any higher end drinking establishment bartenders a bag full can add up over time and save a few coins.