PDA

View Full Version : Portable Handloading Bench

Valley Forge
06-03-2013, 12:28 AM
So I've been wanting to put together a portable rig for some time and I decided I'd just start cutting some wood and see what would happen so here's what I've done so far. I wanted to use stuff I had so I began with my workmate..

I made a top that could be anchored to the workmate with t-nuts and 1/4-20 knobs..

Although I can use my regular balance beam and uniflow measure I wanted to use my electric scale/measure so I needed a power source. I found an adapter for my Milwaukee battery pack that outputs 12VDC and a trip to Radio Shack yielded a cigarette lighter adapter I could use for the Chargemaster.

I mount all my presses on a the same wooden plate and I mount them temporarily in different places around my garage depending on the task at hand so I installed the same t-nut pattern on the portable bench.

I thought I wanted to use the case trimmer while standing around the other side but didn't want to permanently mount it so at the moment it is mounted on a plate that stays rigid enough with those little clamps.

I generally intend to prepare the cases before departing for the range but I also wanted to be able to fully reload cases if desired.

It was pretty hot here while I was putting this together so I grabbed a beach umbrella from the garage... and I think I'm gonna leave it.

Just wanted to share what I was doing with you guys, it's still a work in progress.

Artful
06-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Good work - I like the Umbrella - I've got a 6 footer that I can shoot prone under - It's amazing what you can use to adapt and overcome.

smoked turkey
06-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Good thinking on your part to use the Work-Mate. Looks like you have a winner here.

winelover
06-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Very nice. I use my Work-mate as my outdoor casting bench.

Winelover

jmorris
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Looks great. If you plan on using it outside you will need to totally enclose the powder scale/ dropper.

I used a see through cake pan (on top of the cooler). If you don't the slightest wind will mess up the readings.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

Valley Forge
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys. That umbrella (the half that I could find) has been kicking around the garage for years and the workmate usually assists in the casting process for me as well.

The knobs underneath that hold it to the workmate have already been replaced with a sturdier model.

john hayslip
06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I use a workmate for the bottom of a portable shooting bench with a musicians stool to sit on.

jmort
06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm liking all of this. Fine work.