PDA

View Full Version : Melted wheel weights look grainny?

mikeh3
09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I melted a big pot of wheel weights today. The melt looked grainny, could it be it just couldn't get hot enough? I was using a side burner on my barbecue. Maybe I was trying to melt to much? Are their other things that can cause this? I did seprate the wheel weight types. This is the first time I've tried to melt wheel weights so I'm new to the game.

Also can I just shoot Wheel Weights "as is" without adding anything else to the mix.

Thanks for any suggestions

mooman76
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Mine usually look grainy too. Either it is from not getting hot enough like you said or needing some flux. When I melt WWs I melt fast and get it done, nothing wrong with the grainy look. It will look better when you mould your bullets I am sure.
For the most part you can shoot WWs as is especially for pistol but there are allot of variables. Bullet type, lube and speed you are shooting at and also whether or not you are using gas checks or not. I shoot as is!

mikeh3
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
I plan on shooting 30 cal. and 8mm rifle bullets. I also plan on using gas checks.
I bought all the equipment, molds,lead melter, etc. Now that I have the lead I'm ready to start casing my first bullets. Thanks for your reply.

1Shirt
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Mike, Definately not hot enough. You need a hotter heat source.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Blammer
09-21-2007, 03:52 PM
let it set there about 45 mins if your heat is at max you just need to let the lead get up to temp.

the grainey is good for skimming off zinc and ww clips as they readily float.