PDA

View Full Version : Babore's boolits in the BFR 45-70

44man
09-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I shot almost 100 today at 50 yd's, need a strong wrist. I used only 4759, Fed 155 primer and Starline brass. I started with the Mountain molds 420 gr, gc and admit shaking a little. It shot good but very high so I had to put a target above the one I was aiming at. It shot good at 27 gr's but I think 27.5 would be better but I shook a shot out. Have to try again.
I went to the .462-420 PB, best was 1-1/8" with 26.5 gr's. Then the .462-420 GC and got an honest 1/2" with 28.5 gr's.
The .462-360 GC put 3 in 11/32" with 30 gr's. I made a mistake with the .462-350 HP GC and started with 30.5 gr's, only got 1-1/16". I only had one more boolit left so I don't know if 30 gr's would be better.
Here's the targets, sorry Bruce, best I could do.

44man
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
A note I forgot to add. I have now shot from 300 to 448 gr boolits and no groups have been bad unless I stray from 4759. I have very few groups over 1-1/4" over the whole range of boolit weights with this powder. I do add a tuft of Dacron in all loads because it does get me tighter groups.
I am using the Ultra Dot and it covers around 2" at 50 yd's so believe me when I say that I don't know the full potential of the BFR's.
I am gratefull to Bruce and Dubber123 for sending me some boolits. Both SUPER guys. :drinks:

BABore
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Not to bad for a shaky, half-blind ole man.:-D

Now don't tell anybody that some of them groups were shot with soft boolits, cause they'll be sure you shot them at 25 yards instead of 50.[smilie=1:

44man
09-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Now Bruce, you know I would never admit it. :twisted: Of course your boolits have a good amount of lube and they are not THAT soft. Just right I would say. Some of my own boolits, however, NEED to be hard. Design failures on my part.
I have been accused of lying about the distance and folding my targets so fliers are hidden. :confused: Some guys just can't take a joke!
Dubber was a little disappointed with the 23/32" group I got with his because he doesn't know how old and shaky I am. I am going to surprise him and show him how good his boolit is too. I know it will do 1/2".
Just wait, when I get so old the pumper doesn't work anymore, I will shoot like this off hand.[smilie=w:

44man
09-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Bruce, I was forced to clean the gun today because of lube everywhere and carbon. I have shot my boolits, your's and Dubber's, many, many rounds. I did not get a single speck of lead out of the gun! :drinks: I used Ed's red, Butch's and M-Pro 7 with brushes and Butch's triple twill patches. It now sparkles.
Good lube and boolits that fit. I used Felix except on the boolits you sent with lube on them. The soft Beartooth lube worked fine.

dubber123
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
44man, I will get the new batch with the modified GC shank out ASAP, I think this bunch might be harder than the last, they are VERY frosty, and "clink" when rolled together, just the way I personally like them. If my hand done butchery on the check shank didn't ruin them, they should shoot well for you. I may slip in some .475's for you to try too.

44man
09-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Thank you, I will post as soon as I get sight settings. I am pulling my hair trying to decide which boolit will be used on the first deer. I guess it will be the only revolver I use this year so I can try more boolits. I have to keep some of Bruce's boolits so I can sight for each. All have different impact points.
I have finally figured out how to shoot this gun so it is more consistant which helps because of my shaking.
I have an old 4X Leupold on a .22 pistol I thought about using for testing but it is too close to hunting season to change things around. I won't use a scope for hunting, can't see the deer or crosshairs in the AM or PM. Pistol scopes are too dim with the long eye relief and small objectives.
I am almost 70 but dog gone it, I still shoot an 82# bow and climb trees. Good booze or cheap booze is the secret! [smilie=s: