PDA

View Full Version : Any 30 BR users here?

nekshot
06-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I am totally ignorant of this cartridge. What powders and boolits are winning these matches?
nekshot

MT Chambers
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I use a .30 BR alot for testing bullets, it is my most accurate cast bullet rifle, it's a savage with Shilen heavy barrel 1-12" twist, rifle Basix trigger, Leupold 40X scope....I use about 20 diff. bullets with VV133 powder...my current best load used the NOE version of Saeco #315. This is my only rifle/cal. that consistently shoots well under 1" at 100 yds, and for "fixed" ammo I don't think anything can touch this cartridge. Most of my bullets/loads are in the 1900fps range, using 6mm br. Lapua Brass and small rifle primers and I do have to turn the case necks to fit the chamber.
A similar rifle of mine in .300 Whisper (.300 blkout) cannot touch the BR as the BR is a much more accurate round, it is the star in both CBA benchrest and j-word BR albeit for score. I'd like a short, light, boltgun in this cal. for hunting.

nekshot
06-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I am definitly hanging out with the wrong guys, to keep me in the darkness concerning this humble best of everything cartridge cast could want. I have a 3o8 chamber shortened to give a cartridge length to shoulder of 1.140. It is hard to get info on the 30br on the net but I believe I am close to the 30br's dimension, maybe I am a little bigger. Thanks for your info. Maybe I can get this gun ready for fall deer hunting.

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I am definitly hanging out with the wrong guys, to keep me in the darkness concerning this humble best of everything cartridge cast could want. I have a 3o8 chamber shortened to give a cartridge length to shoulder of 1.140. It is hard to get info on the 30br on the net but I believe I am close to the 30br's dimension, maybe I am a little bigger. Thanks for your info. Maybe I can get this gun ready for fall deer hunting.

nekshot maybe this will help.

http://www.6mmbr.com/30br.html

Mine has a slow twist so I am still looking for a mold for the right boolit.

Tim

catboat
06-02-2013, 08:17 PM
http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

The above link isn't about cast bullets, but it's a good source for 30 BR info. Good reading (as well as the other parts to that website).

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
30 br was developed for j-words but with about the capacity of a 30-30 in a short fat case it should be great for cast boolits. Mine is setup for benchrest for score with j-words so the twist is slow so I am looking for recommendations for a boolit mold. It shoots 135 gr. j-words under a half MOA for me and my bench rest technique needs more practice. With a gun that can shoot groups that small, technique becomes more important. My gun has a sleeved Rem 600 action and a trigger so light that even people who I warn fire it before they are ready so I have them dry fire before they chamber a round. I am using formed Win .300 Savage brass not the expensive Lapua brass and I am still getting those small groups. This gun is second hand so I think the original owner believed it was worn out. I have not done a chamber cast so I don't know what the throat looks like.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

The above link isn't about cast bullets, but it's a good source for 30 BR info. Good reading (as well as the other parts to that website).

HARRYMPOPE
06-02-2013, 10:15 PM
the 30 BR was a cast cartridge before(or at the same time at least) the HBR guys started messing with it a bunch.It took over from various short 30-30 cases,.30 PPC's/Kern Etc... and such with its ability to shoot 200g bullets at 2100 fps.

George

Doc Highwall
06-03-2013, 07:12 AM
The Lyman 4th edition cast bullet book has some information about shooting cast bullets out of the 30 Br.

nekshot
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks, gotta get that Lyman book. I do have a 300 BH chambered barrel here somewhere that I was having high hopes for but this is very encouraging to say the least.
nekshot

dtknowles
06-03-2013, 08:09 AM
The Lyman 4th edition cast bullet book has some information about shooting cast bullets out of the 30 Br.

Blah, wouldn't you know, I have the third ed.

Tim

MT Chambers
06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
The very best source of info for cast bullets in the .30 BR. is the CBA publication the "fouling shot", where they list all the winners/competitors' loads, and most of the winners use the .30 br., alot use Eagan molds, which are gonna get hard to find. They list the guns, barrels, scopes, loads, classes, etc. I shouldn't have let my subscription lapse.