PDA

View Full Version : Gator checks

Lead melter
09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Well gang,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before now, but please humor this infidel. A fellow from Saeco/Redding gave me the number for a nice guy down in gator country who makes gas checks. He's a doctor of some kind who has this business on the side. Anyway, he sent me a list of his products and that list contains an option for a .458" rifle gas check. Does anyone know how this differs from a standard .458" gas check? I've been using Hornady checks for .452" and .458" boolits, but the check does seem a little short on the .458" Some info please, if ya' got any.

"Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

[smilie=b:

felix
09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
We will be having a group buy shortly with the 45 checks specifically, I am quite sure. The rifle check is thicker, and is meant to size down to 458-460 and still crimp on the standard 45 caliber shank. The pistol check is meant to size down to 452-454. Both checks have the same length. Shank sizes are meant to be the same.

Always keep in mind that the dies used to make checks have to be replaced sooner or later. Gator uses only carbide type dies, but even they wear out making the checks fit too tight for the majority of molds. New dies will make the checks slightly too large. Usually, but not always, there is enough variation in the metals we use to make boolits a different size which naturally includes the shank size. ... felix