PDA

View Full Version : Iver-Johnson top-break revolver

Ray1946
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Recently made a trade for an old revolver. It says "Iver-Johnson Arms and Cycle Works" and below; Fitchburg, Mass. USA. I would call the outside of the gun Very good or better and the inside of the gun; MINT!. I removed the grips and it has a coil spring driven hammer and the number 907XX with a letter "H". The bottom of the grip is marked; Pat. Nov.17, 08". I have read where this is a 3rd version Improved Safety hammer revolver and that it was safe for use with smokeless powder. I realize these guns are not as strong as solid frame revolvers, but can they be used at all with 148gr. Hollow-based wadcutters? I have a quantity of these .38 target bullets that are Remington manufacture and measure .360/.361 in diameter. Is there any idea when this was made? Thanks all...............

rintinglen
06-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I've loaded 38 S&W Wadcutters many times for my FIL's old Iver Johnson. I use the starting Bullseye load info from an older Speer manual, Hornady or speer HBWC's and crimp in the middle lube band to duplicate Factory COAL. Works just fine and gives better accuracy than factory winchester loads in his gun.

Ray1946
06-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks much for the info! Any idea when this sweetheart was made? Don't have any idea about the alloys used in this revolver, but the machining and metal work are first class all the way.................................