PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Onions--Vidalia and 1015

gbrown
06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm starting this thread, because I didn't want to hijack/confuse the "Liver & Onions" thread. Some posts over there were talking about Vidalia onions with liver & onions. I've had Vidalia and they are good. Back about 1980, Texas A&M came up with the 1015 which is like the Vidalia--Big, juicy, mild and sweet. What I like to do with them is to peel the outer layers off, cut some of the dry top off, and kind of core them. Make a 1-1/2 inch to 2 inch upside down cone (wide at top, narrow towards bottom) and put a beef boullion cube in there. Pack the cone with butter and then place on a big square of aluminum foil that you fold up and twist, so the whole package looks like a Hershey's Kiss. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10. Also, you can do it in a microwave, only use a plastic wrap like Saran Wrap. Take a fork and punch holes all over it (through the wrap) and "nuke" it for about 4 minutes. Comes out sweet and succulent. Sometimes, I melt extra butter to dip the "bites" in. Cook a big sweet onion and a sweet potato and it makes a heckavu meal.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2013, 05:32 AM
that sounds great! I just picked up 20lbs of them. The local special olympic chapter sells them every year to raise money

DHurtig
06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
My daughter does this. She puts herb butter in hers and then puts them on the grill.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2013, 03:23 PM
does she wrap them in foil or just put them directly on the grill?

Coug91
06-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I do this wil Vidalias, 1015's and Walla Walla sweets... I just add a dash of Montreal steak seasoning - think it's Schillings or something like that. Great on the grill!

gbrown
06-02-2013, 08:01 PM
I have a grilling pan or sheet that we do mushrooms, 1015's and squash over hardwood coals when we do steaks or pork chops at the camp. My mouth waters when I write this. Good stuff!

cf5757
06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Another great recipe is:
1. Cut off both ends.
2. peel and slice in half. (equator)
3. salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon of butter on top
4. place in baking dish covered, 400 degrees for 1 hour
5. after cooking drizzle with balsamic vinegar and ENJOY!

WARD O
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd bet that if you took a portabella cap and topped off your sweet onion and grill/baked it and let the juices mingle you'd get some good eats too.... I'm going to have to try this.

ward

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2013, 04:46 AM
My daughter does this. She puts herb butter in hers and then puts them on the grill.

tried this last night. cored out the middle a bit and put some fresh garlic and butter in them. Wraped them in foil and put them on the grill. They were excellent.

Junior1942
06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Add one beef bouillon cube to the original recipe. It makes a delicious dish. It's easy campfire food, too.

DougGuy
06-04-2013, 08:44 AM
My ULTIMATE favorite thing to do with vidalias is get the "vidalia green onions" when they start showing up on store shelves in Feb(?) maybe? Late January, early February? They have the nice green tops and golfball sized bulbs which get to almost tennis ball size right before they go out of season.

These, and only these, cook together in dishes with garlic, like lima beans/butter beans, yellow squash, black eyed peas even, they have this thing where the garlic and the onions sorta cancel themselves out, and you really don't taste either one but they make the most wonderful flavor, it's unmistakeable, kind of a sweetness that you only get with those onions and garlic, cooked together in the same dish.

It almost tastes like Elephant garlic which is mild and sweet but you just have to try this. I get them and freeze them, 2-3 dozen of them every year so I can cook with them all year.

They also make one very delicious chowder base, by cooking potato cubes, vidalia green onions and garlic to almost a mush, use this along with fish stock/heavy cream to make the chowder.

10-x
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Man, we're only about 100 miles from Vidalia, I'm going to get a bag and try some of this.....drool, drool, drool.

Love Life
06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I miss buying Vidalias in Vidalia. Thanks for the good idea.

Lloyd Smale
06-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Had my favorite last night. I take a half frozen venison back strap and cut it paper thin across the grain and fry it in butter with fresh garlic, vadalia onions and a few grean peppers and mushrooms. then slicke a loaf of french bread to make a sub bun. Load on the cheese and the meat mix and it makes the best dammed philly steak sandwich in the world! cut this thin you can use about any cut of venison but ive allways got a freezer full of back straps so thats what i use. Its one of my favorite ways to eat venison. Family loves it that way too.

farmerjim
06-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Add some blue cheese to the top of the onion for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
I just finished harvesting about 3,000 pounds of these onions from my garden. They grow great here in our low sulfur soils.

10-x
06-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Why don't we do an onion swap? Interested in some of those 1015's.