PDA

View Full Version : Anybody read "The Fouling Shot"

dtknowles
06-01-2013, 10:26 PM
My membership in CBA lapsed but I was thinking about doing some of the Postal Matches. I mean to re-up. I bought a Bench Rest rifle in 30 BR thinking I might do OK but I need to get a new mold or a new barrel. My rifle has a slow twist either 1 in 16 or 18 and I don't have a mold for a accurate bullet that is light enough for my slow twist or I need to get a faster twist barrel like the top competitors in CBA use. I don't get it they all shoot heavy bullets but the j-word bench rest shooters all use light for caliber bullets. A new barrel is something I would like to avoid until I have no other choice. What mold would you recommend for a 125 grain gas check bullet for bench rest work?

Tim

Fluxed
06-01-2013, 10:55 PM
No particular mold in mind, but I think anything up to about 130 in a round nose may work fine in an 18 twist. If you have a 16 twist you might get up to a 150 gr. boolit - round or flat nose again, to keep it short. I'd like to hear what you do as I am wanting to try my 18 twist .30BR. If you're shooting only 100 yards you may not be at that much or any disadvantage with the lighter boolits.

Many years ago I built a 14 twist rifle on a case similar to a .30BR but with a very long neck. I shot 311041 type boolits in it. I got pretty good results, but never enough consistency. I'd shoot four groups .5 to .6 then throw one a little over an inch. Frustrating but interesting.

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 01:48 AM
I only have two .30 cal molds one I use in my SKS, 130 gr. plain base with a long ogive and a 170 grain flat nose with gas check for .30-30. I did not even bother to try the 170 gr in the .30 BR and the SKS bullet gave two inch groups, not much better than it does in the SKS. It is a pretty poor design bevel base one grease groove and two bearing bands, long nose. Looks good in the 7.62x39 case, feeds good just not that accurate. I think I need something like a loverline design but maybe a round nose with nose pour.

Tim

Pat I.
06-02-2013, 08:20 AM
The last barrel I fit to my BR rifle used two different .5 ogive LBT bullets out of a Shilen 17 twist in 30x47 for CBA matches. One is .935 long and weighs about 165 grs and the other is .970 long and weighs a little over 170 grs. The bullets have one grease groove and get tapered in a die I cut with the reamer I used to throat the rifle. Velocity is right around 2600 fps. There were one or two other guys shooting slow twist barrels with short bullets too and our results can be found by going to the CBA site and looking through the match archives. The reason the majority of people are using heavy bullets in the BR game is because they work at the normal velocities used and it's easy to find moulds. Two barrels before this one I ran a 1.385 long 250 gr bullet cast out of a Dave Mos mould in a 10 twist barrel chambered in 30 PPC at 1700 fps. It shot as good or better than the light fast bullet with the slow twist barrel at 100 and better at 200. I use HTed WWs for casting so gain about 6% more weight over linotype. I've fit a lot of different twist barrels and had a lot of moulds made to fit them and always found Greenhill to work pretty well. I use the 150 constant for normal velocities and change the constant to 165 for the slower twists faster velocity combinations.

And about the CBA and the Fouling Shot. Love it or hate it it's the only cast bullet place I know of that if a guy says he has a gun that shoots 1/2 in groups on demand he either really does because it was witnessed and objectively scored at a match or he'll be asked to prove it. Pictures of one lucky group and wild claims aren't paid too much attention to. There's postal and shoulder to shoulder matches to include a guy with a Mosin Nagant to the guy with a rail gun. I'm even running a round ball traditional front stuffer postal on the forum at the moment and hope to eventually get it included in the regular postal program and another guy just started up a 200 yd BPCR postal match. Point being it's not the high tech equipment elitist attitude enviroment some folks have been lead to believe it is by certain people with some sort of agenda.

ubetcha
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Right now the CBA has a choice in membership dues.$17.00 per year if you want the Fouling Shot sent by Email or $22.00 a year if you want a hard copy. I think the CBA is down to earth as much as this site is.Always people to help with a question.Yes they have troublemakers there and so do we here.But they always get weeded out. Their goal is the same. Shooting a cast bullet accurately

HARRYMPOPE
06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
"Love it or hate it it's the only cast bullet place I know of that if a guy says he has a gun that shoots 1/2 in groups on demand he either really does because it was witnessed and objectively scored at a match or he'll be asked to prove it. Pictures of one lucky group and wild claims aren't paid too much attention to"

"But my 22 Hornet CZ shoots 1/2 MOA on demand with cast bullets!"O Wait ....those rifles never seem to make it to the firing line .

George