PDA

View Full Version : Good source for casting alloys

mookiie
06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I am new to casting and am looking for the best source for casting alloys. I have asked around and cannot find wheel weights. I am looking to cast for .40 S & W, and .223 Remington. I have pure lead bars and pure Linotype bars. Looking for advice on the best casting mixtures for the 223 and 40. Not quite sure what I should be looking for. I was thinking about using 1 lb of lead and 1 lb of Linotype for the 223 and 4 lb of lead and 1 lb of Linotype. Thanks for any help!

2wheelDuke
06-01-2013, 10:15 PM
You can figure out everything with an alloy calculator over here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

I'd say you're on the right track. I'd maybe look to approximate Lyman #2 alloy for the .40, and maybe even for the .223. You might look into water dropping your .223 boolits to make your linotype last longer.

mookiie
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Do you think Lyman #2 would be harder than needed for .40?

leadman
06-09-2013, 04:21 AM
The 40 is a high pressure cartridge and I have found that around 15 BHN is good to go.
If you want to water quench your boolits you are going to have to add an alloy like clip-on WW or lead shot to get the arsenic that triggers the hardening effect.
Look at the lasc site in the icon at the bottom of the page for articles on this.

Defcon-One
06-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Actually, the Antimony is the hardening agent, you need that to water drop harden bullets! Arsenic is a grain enhancer which makes the Antimony work better. You do not need the Arsenic to water drop harden cast bullets. Your Linotype is full of Antimony!

Your 1:1 Lead/Linotype mix is called Hardball alloy. A bit harder than you probably need for the .40 S&W, but it will work. It would be OK for the .223 with gas checks as it was designed by professional casters to replace Lyman #2 alloy when Tin got so expensive. They made it hard to survive shipping without deformation. I think it is too hard for most home casting applications, at least harder than you'll need.

I'd use 1 part Linotype to 3 parts Pure Lead for the .40 S&W (1% Tin, 3% Antimony, 96% Lead). For the .223 I'd use the Hardball (1:1 Lead/Linotype) or Lyman #2, both with gas checks.

To get Lyman #2 use:

3 lbs. Pure Lead
2.43 lbs. Linotype
0.39 lbs. 50/50 Solder

Also, I do not water drop any of my bullets.