PDA

View Full Version : Sizing 375 rifle with the press

Raffiki
06-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't want to buy a lubrisizer, but I can't find a simple push through die like Lee for .376-.378 sizes. Does anyone know where I can get one?

country gent
06-01-2013, 04:01 PM
The push thru sizers are quite easy to make / modify to just what you want. Lee will make anything you want in their custom shop I think. Or a .358 can be reamed to .375 ( standard 3/8 hand reamer) and polished lapped or honed to finish size. I did the last route with a lee sizer for my 38-55. Reamed it out with lots of oil. then a mandrell and medium fine sand sand paper started around 320 grit emery to 800 grit with oil. Final polish was cleaning patches with shimichrome compound, Flitz will also work. The actuall "sizing "band in these dies isnt very long most is lead and clearence above. Work slow and easy use oil to smooth the aggresivness of the sand paper and after each grit clean and size a bullet to see where you actually are at. A machine shop or buddy with a lathe can make one of these in less than an hour including the push stem. I used to use 7/8 14 allen head cap screws 1 1/2" -2" long which ever was handy in the bolt rack at work.

6.5 mike
06-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Contact Buckshot, he can make you any size you might need. Very fine work, I have several.

Wayne Smith
06-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Ditto on Buckshot, and he is likely to be quicker than Lee.

Raffiki
06-02-2013, 06:48 PM
The push thru sizers are quite easy to make / modify to just what you want. Lee will make anything you want in their custom shop I think. Or a .358 can be reamed to .375 ( standard 3/8 hand reamer) and polished lapped or honed to finish size. I did the last route with a lee sizer for my 38-55. Reamed it out with lots of oil. then a mandrell and medium fine sand sand paper started around 320 grit emery to 800 grit with oil. Final polish was cleaning patches with shimichrome compound, Flitz will also work. The actuall "sizing "band in these dies isnt very long most is lead and clearence above. Work slow and easy use oil to smooth the aggresivness of the sand paper and after each grit clean and size a bullet to see where you actually are at. A machine shop or buddy with a lathe can make one of these in less than an hour including the push stem. I used to use 7/8 14 allen head cap screws 1 1/2" -2" long which ever was handy in the bolt rack at work.

Can I drill it out on a drill press or is that not precise enough?