PDA

View Full Version : Hitting .333 today

rintinglen
06-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Well I finally got a out to the rifle range to do some testing of some loads I'd worked up. Hunting season is just a few months off, and I needed to get the new scope on my 250 Savage 99 sighted in, test my new 312-440 NOE hunting load as well as do a little pistol work, plus I had to test some loads for my .348 Winchester--I've a 220 grain Accurate Mold that I have hopes for, plus I have been experimenting with Ol' Elmers 358-429 sized down to .351.

First up was the Savage--arghh.

Couldn't get a decent group--I'd have two shots close together, then a flyer two inches off in some random direction. Then I found the 100 grain loads taken from Hornady's 3rd edition were too hot. I finally got the thing to shoot reasonably close to POA, but the 100 grainers are useless. Back to the 87 grain spitzers for this old warhorse. I wanted to try out my 257-464 loads, but some dunderhead left those loads on his reloading bevch, 64 miles away.

Next up was the .348. My H-4895 loads weren't very good, the WW-760 loads were better--which figures: I've a nearly full pound of h-4895 and only a pittance of WW-760. The real surprise was the 358-429, although it shot to a dramatically different point of aim than that of the full power loads, 13.0 grains of Unique with a Bamboo fiber filler shot very well. Those sights don't work the best for me anymore, but I managed several 3 shot groups in the 1 1/2 inch range. I will have to cast up some more of those--that's a fun plinker that will allow me to get some more trigger time with that gun.

Lastly though, I hit a home run. I have used a stiff charge of WW-748 under a 311-466 in my 30-30's in the past with excellent results, and tried the 312-440 with the same load. Bullseye! First 5 shots clustered in a hair over an inch at 50 yards--a few clicks right and a few down on the williams reciever sight and I put the next five in a 2 inch group, which had 4 of the 5 centered in the 10 ring an inch above my POA. I shot up the balance of the box sniping rocks . Boy am I glad I sprang for the brass NOE 2 cavity a couple months back, great mold, casts good boolits fast and they shoot to the limit of my ability.

The wind kicked up about 11, which made the group shooting a thing of the past, so I went over to the pistol range, where my SBH did it's usual fine job, but my new-to-me Colt DS-II turned out to be a piece o carp--more worthy of a name (and a price) like Rossi than Colt. The DA pull was rough and gritty but the crowning disappointment was the fact that it was badly out of time. The hand would not force the cylinder up enough to lock fully up until after the hammer fell. The cylinder locking bolt is more flimsy than that of the older D frames in my possession and it simply is not up to snuff. What bites hardest is that I paid half again as much for this as I did a beat up looking Cobra and the Cobra is much the nicer action and more accurate too!

All in all, not a bad way to start a Friday.

Anyone have any CB suggestions for the .348?

helice
06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Very interesting post and thank you for it.
I too have and enjoy a 250-3000 Savage. Mine is a 1921 version of the 1899 Model. These older models have a 1 in 14" twist rate and were intended for the 87 grain bullet. I too have had trouble getting consistent groups with Remington Core-Loct 100 grain bullets. The lighter ones work fine.
I assume the big bore 440 NOE is for a 303 LE. Assumptions have made me look pretty silly in the past though so maybe its for a 30-30. It's good to see that that boolit worked so well for you. I have looked for a Lyman mold for one in the past but lately have given up. Many speak well of its ability to harvest game cleanly.
Your Second model Detective Special mirrors mine. Mine was only acceptable when the hammer was cocked forceably to give the cylinder a bit of a hard spin. It was horrible in double action mode. Totally a waste as far as a defensive instrument is concerned. I gave it to a young relative who wanted experience pistol smithing. No idea if he got it to work any better.
As for your 348 Winchester, all I can say is "I drool over them." They are such beautifully made rifles and a wonderful caliber. I wish Winchester had made that case into a 358 though. We'd have had a lot more moulds to choose from.
Glad it was a fun day at the range all told. Any day at the range seems to be a better day than one polishing a chair.

rintinglen
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
"...a day at the range seems to be a better day than one polishing a chair."
How true! I wish it wasn't so far to the range. 120 miles round trip with gas as it is means my rifles don't get much work these days. Thank you Obummer and friends.

The 311-440 (312-440, in my case) casts almost exactly .313 with an alloy of range lead plus 2% tin, sizes easily to .311 or .310 and feeds like a champ through my 1953 M-94. I was initially a little bit aprehensive that the blunt nose would/could catch going into the chamber, but that turned out to be a non-issue. Later today, I intend to fire up the pot and crank out some more of these. I've a lot of empty 30-30 cases around that need filling.

I'm going to pull apart the DS-II, give it a thorough cleaning, and see what can be done to get it to function correctly. I thought the entire purpose of going to the new "improved" lock work was to get away from those problems. I don't know if there is an after market source for a replacement hand. I'll have to check. Who knows? I may get lucky.

My 99 seems to be a 1949 model--the boss stamp is very hard to read but seems to be "16A" and it has the 1 in 14 inch twist. It will shoot an 87 grain spitzer into an inch and a half, pretty regularly, but heavier bullets just won't flock together. What is frustrating is that I got a couple of boxes of 100 grain Bullets at a very good price when a LGS hereabouts went out of business a few years back. A well, they won't go stale, waiting for a 257 Roberts to come calling.

Jack Stanley
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
I can remember the days when I had to drive to the rifle range ....... and the days I forgot to put ammo in the bag . But to be certain , being at the range is way better than many other options available .

I had a 311440 years ago and though it was OK I really took a shine to the 311466 for just about any thirty caliber I run . So far it's only done light duty in the 30WCF but it absolutely shines there .

Sounds like you took a whole gun show worth of neat stuff to the range with you , I think I would have loved looking at your table full while there .

Jack

helice
06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Oh you guys who step outside and fire away. You ought to spend some time in California - Wall to wall people and mostof them are uneducated in the world of rifles. Most of the rifle ranges around here are closing up due to all the pressure from the green freaks and their fear of heavy metal.
I've got a 466 around here some where but it's been 3 years since I've seen the bloomin thing:mad:. I looked all over for a 440 years ago. Never saw one. I'd love to try one out. Wish Lee would pop that out in their 6 Cav. Heck I'd even take a twin.

rintinglen
06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I had chased the original 311-440 for years before I finally gave up on finding an Ideal or Lyman and bought a brass NOE 2 cavity. What a lovely mold! Right now, this is the good old days for molds. Between Accurate, MP, and NOE you are hard pressed to pick a winner--they are all superb. I have a 311-466 2 cavity Lyman which is pretty good, and a 4 cavity NOE which is better! Very accurate in all five of my 30-30's. And that 4 cavity mold piles up good boolits fast. I am waiting for a 4 cavity 311-465 clone group buy that is supposed to be hitting the machines at NOE pretty soon. I've a single cavity Lyman and an Ideal (IIRC) 2 cavity now, those both cast good boolits but the one cavity requires a hot melt and swirling the melt off center through the sprue hole to get good results.