PDA

View Full Version : Adding antimony to lead alloy???

mikeym1a
06-01-2013, 05:09 AM
I have seen a thread that explains how to add antimony to lead. I didn't bookmark the thread. Now I can't find it. Apparently I'm not asking the search engine the right questions. Would someone be so kind as to direct me to that thread, and/or related threads? Thanks, and I apologize for my ineptness.[smilie=1:

detox
06-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Here is a related link. http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/30_antimony_70_lead.htm

GLL
06-02-2013, 12:18 AM
As detox referenced the Rotometals "Superhard" is the easiest way to go !

Jerry

mikeym1a
06-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Thanks, guys. I am aware of the 'superhard'. BUT, there is a thread on this site that tells how to do it. And, I wanna try to do it myself, at least once. Perhaps I will find it to cumbersome or time consuming, but I won't know until I try it myself. I have added copper to tin for the mix, and was surprised how easy it was. Now I wanna try antimony. That's just me.

leadman
06-09-2013, 04:17 AM
I have made my own superhard as I had a couple of bars of antimony. I used my plumbers furnace outdoors, put in the antimony and melted it and let it heat for about 5 minutes more then added the lead. Worked fine.
I can't give you temperatures since they were higher than my Lyman thermometer would register.

I read antimony fumes are harmful so stay upwind.