PDA

View Full Version : a top break revolver

Matt85
06-01-2013, 04:47 AM
ive been thinking it might be fun to own a top break revolver. I was looking at the No. 3 Schofield by Uberti chambered in 38 special but the price is really just too high. is there any other similar style revolvers out there at a more affordable price?

thanks
-Matt

whopist
06-01-2013, 05:29 AM
I really enjoy playing with the later (1970-1980) Harrington & Richardson top break revolvers.

This is a Model 926 in 38S&W (not 38Special)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii165/whopist/HR926-2.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/whopist/media/HR926-2.jpg.html)

rintinglen
06-01-2013, 09:26 AM
My brother has two, an Iver Johnson similar to the H&R above and an H&R 999. Neither cost over 200 dollars and both are decent guns--the 22 is pretty accurate despite a less than stellar trigger and the 38 S&W can serve as a self- defense round at least as well as a 32 ACP or 380 with FMJ's. He used to carry the Iver Johnson until he got a better job and more expensive guns. I've been looking for a .38 Webley myself, but what I've seen are pricier than what I care to spend.

44Vaquero
06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The H&R's are currently you best bet. They are affordable, easy to find and last forever!

The Webley's are much harder to find. Long gone are days when I bought my WAR FINISH .38 S&W for $89.00! She was by far my favorite revolver for more than 10 years, unfortunately she is no longer a shooter. The ears on the top of the frame under the latch cracked off, heat treat during war time left something to be desired. She is still in the safe for historical and sentimental reasons.

hightime
06-01-2013, 12:43 PM
72221 The Beretta Laramie cost a lot but the Iver Johnson only cost 130 bucks , and it was unfired.

Owen

Matt85
06-01-2013, 02:38 PM
after posting this last night my roommate told me about the H&R top break revolvers. so I did a little hunting around before bed but it seems like most of the H&R. Iver Johnson, and S&W top break revolvers I could find either have very short barrels or are in terrible condition. I did find 2 in good shape but the seller wanted huge $$ for them. I suppose if I could find a really nice condition one in 38 S&W with a 5"-6" barrel that wasn't priced threw the roof id be pretty happy. any idea on a good source for these pistols? gunbroker is where I looked last night and that was not pretty.

-matt

44Vaquero
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Try the local gun shops, the .38 S&W is not hot seller, but is often taken in trade for newer firearms. Believe it or not my local Gander Mountain often has one or two in the case.

Mk42gunner
06-01-2013, 05:17 PM
For older out of fashion firearms, such as top break revolvers, sometimes pawn shops are a better deal than gun shops. For one thing, I don't feel embarrassed to offer 2/3 or less of the asking price in a pawn shop.

Robert

Artful
06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Jeez, I was going to suggest looking for an old Webley Mk IV .38/200 Service Revolver but I see the prices are WAY beyond what I remember them at.

the .455 or the .38/200 were both well built and I have a S&W .32 which is good one as well - the only top break H&R experience was with 22 LR's.

Good luck on your hunt.

BCRider
06-02-2013, 12:43 AM
after posting this last night my roommate told me about the H&R top break revolvers. so I did a little hunting around before bed but it seems like most of the H&R. Iver Johnson, and S&W top break revolvers I could find either have very short barrels or are in terrible condition. I did find 2 in good shape but the seller wanted huge $$ for them. I suppose if I could find a really nice condition one in 38 S&W with a 5"-6" barrel that wasn't priced threw the roof id be pretty happy. any idea on a good source for these pistols? gunbroker is where I looked last night and that was not pretty.

-matt

The gun world in the US is running crazy like at the moment. Be patient and wait out the current nonsense and be ready to jump when you see a deal.

At least you know about some of the various options now.

Matt85
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
found a couple webly (spelling) .38 S&W revolvers in a local gun store today. the guns looked okay but the prices seemed high. they wanted $325 for each of em and while one of em was decent neither were excellent enough to warrant such a high price.

-matt

Tom Herman
06-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Matt, Don't do it! Top break revolvers can become quite addicting... Don't ask me how I know this (forget food: will work for Webleys!).
I have a number of top breaks in .455 and .38 S&W. The .455's are especially addictive. There's nothing like lobbing a 265 grain hollow base pill down range.
Prices of the .455's are astronomical due to their deserved Cult status.
I agree that the .38 S&W Webley/Enfields will come down once this foolishness passes. Gun shops want outrageous amounts in the $400-450 range, but I've bought them for $200 all day long from private collectors.
Good Luck!

-Tom

9.3X62AL
06-22-2013, 11:19 PM
$325 is way outta line for a Webley-Enfield. Tom Herman's text is true bizness.

I surely wouldn't mind having an H&R Sportsman in 22 LR, or (dare I dream it) 32 S&W Long. Those Pasta Replica S&W remakes really call to me, too. Like Matt said, though--too much dinero, esp. since they are so hard to find in actual true calibers (44 Russian or 45 S&W). One of those I would grab.

larryp
06-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Gun shops want outrageous amounts in the $400-450 range, but I've bought them for $200 all day long from private collectors

-Tom
I don't consider that to be an outrageous amount. After all they aren't being made any more and a used S&W .38 runs about the same. Remember just because a surplus gun was cheap when first imported due to high numbers flooding the market they always go up in price after a few years as the supply dries up.

9.3X62AL
06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't consider that to be an outrageous amount. After all they aren't being made any more and a used S&W .38 runs about the same. Remember just because a surplus gun was cheap when first imported due to high numbers flooding the market they always go up in price after a few years as the supply dries up.

Only if $75 bricks of 22 LR seem like a fair deal as well. $400 for a nice-shape Model 15 or Model 67 could be OK, but a Webley-Enfield isn't a nice-shape 15 or 64, by any means. But an item's true net worth is only what it is worth to you, so ultimately it's none of my business. Maybe we have all been under the influence of flippers for so long that we've started thinking their depredations are the New Normal, too.