PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about drip o matics

Harter66
06-01-2013, 12:56 AM
If I had 1 of them ,I don't, and the fixes I've read here,adjustment,lapping ,clean ups etc ,didn't work I'd make it work for me.

1st I'd make it a fixed location tool ,removable but w/solid consistant location.
2nd drill a hole in the base directly under spout centered in the drip.
3rd drill a matching bench hole an fit a short deflector to drop into a cooling tray viola' shot maker/mess reducer and a productive use of mat'l that would otherwise need to be cleaned up as you went along. the shot should be fairly consistant even if it were 2s,1s or even B-BBB. I know there's not much call for over 5s these days but you can always bag and stack or just start the next session w/it.

Just a thought ,loose ,random and lonely.

Love Life
06-01-2013, 01:11 AM
I've had my drip-o-matic for years now. It is so ghetto rigged from random fixes through the years, but the old girl heats up and still pours lead.

I like the shot idea, but would it roll or would it go splat?

Totally off topic, but ya'll have an long range rifle ranges out your way? It may be time to get together and sling boolits and bullets.

Harter66
06-01-2013, 01:44 AM
There's an unofficial 1000 yd range w/plates at roughly 3,4,5,6,7,8,900yd and the old Grimes point range in Fallon well its as long as you want to back off across a mud flat out to 2-2.5 miles I know of several places to shoot safely w/sand banks 500 +.

The splat I didn't give much thought to. A high angle deflector might cure that. Think 87degrees from you're bench top . Unless you've a 60 ft drop from your bench.[smilie=1:

Love Life
06-01-2013, 01:49 AM
You've seen me. I'm not 60 ft tall!!

Harter66
06-01-2013, 01:59 AM
I was thinking of the guys w/the loading room in the loft over the hay barn.:kidding:

mdi
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Wow, good thing you don't have one. You'd be doing a lot of work on hearsay.;-)

I've had my Lee pot for going on 17 years. Only routine care is needed to keep it working without dripping. First and foremost, clean alloy is necessary, 'cause one little grit will get stuck in the needle valve and the drip continues. Occasionally, mebbe every 30 or 40 pounds of lead through mine and I empty it and wire brush the inside, drop a bit of Bull Plate on the valve seat and needle, make sure all screws are tight and I'm set. I don't have a one-in-a-million Lee pot, I just know how to take care of my tools (I've been making my living for over 35 years with my hand, pneumatic, and power tools)...

Finster101
06-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I have to say after 4 years of use my 20 pounder is still doing fine and has no leaks. I think they get a bad rap.

HollowPoint
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Mine has leaked like a sieve ever since I bought it. I recently fitted it with a spring that kept the pour-hole plugged
until I wanted to dispense my lead.

It worked for a while. Then I got tired of having that Spring in the way so I took it back off. Now, for some strange reason,
it doesn't drip all the time like it used to.

I thought I'd rig it up with the Spring bearing down on the top next time rather than having the Spring pulling down from
the bottom. That way the Spring would be out of the way and still plug the hole.

HollowPoint

OpenNRG
06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Did a run of a couple thousand 9mm a few weeks ago. Only dripped a few times. I do make a habit of spinning the rod occasionally. I also keep an iron pot under it during warmups just to be safe. I believe I paid $59.95 for it. Now they are still only $63.99. That's a lot of product for the price.

Bzcraig
06-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow, good thing you don't have one. You'd be doing a lot of work on hearsay.;-)

I've had my Lee pot for going on 17 years. Only routine care is needed to keep it working without dripping. First and foremost, clean alloy is necessary, 'cause one little grit will get stuck in the needle valve and the drip continues. Occasionally, mebbe every 30 or 40 pounds of lead through mine and I empty it and wire brush the inside, drop a bit of Bull Plate on the valve seat and needle, make sure all screws are tight and I'm set. I don't have a one-in-a-million Lee pot, I just know how to take care of my tools (I've been making mu living for over 35 years with my hand, pneumatic, and power tools)...

I like the idea of emptying and cleaning the pot of my Lee 20#er, but have been afraid to cause it seems there is always some junk on the top no matter how much I skim off and I don't want to run that stuff through the valve. I also like the idea of a coat of Bullplate. Any direction you could give me would be appreciated.

Craig

Harter66
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Just tooooooo much time on my hands I guess.

I've had gobs of requests from family for shot and I'm to cheap to buy a shot maker ,a drip pan w/utility function win/win........8-)

Actually I've read dozens of posts where folks say ''that's why mines in a cakepan /cookie sheet ''etc. I just presumed it was an occasional defect in every bottom pour pot eventually and was more common to Lee's due to wear and or needle/seat shape ,design or even linkage.

I don't own any bottom pours........yet..... I'll be up grading soon to at least a 20#er to keep up w/the recently aquired 6C and 4C moulds which run the 5#ers out just about the time I get rolling along well.

mdi
06-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I like the idea of emptying and cleaning the pot of my Lee 20#er, but have been afraid to cause it seems there is always some junk on the top no matter how much I skim off and I don't want to run that stuff through the valve. I also like the idea of a coat of Bullplate. Any direction you could give me would be appreciated.
Craig

Use the bottom pour feature until the pot is nearly empty, then pick it up and pour the remaining lead out. Simple, but you have to use some good gloves and/or heat padding...

Bzcraig
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Use the bottom pour feature until the pot is nearly empty, then pick it up and pour the remaining lead out. Simple, but you have to use some good gloves and/or heat padding...

Duh.....now I realize my brain was not fully functioning when I asked this. I hate it when an answer is soooo easy and soooo elusive.

Bzcraig
06-02-2013, 11:24 PM

Emptied the pot, easy enough, and was amazed that some sawdust on the sides and bottom of the pot was not completely consumed, but as soon as air hit it, it glowed and burned out. There was enough junk in there to easily see some of it migrating to the valve and causing drips. I wire brushed lightly, sprayed with Kroil, let set several hours, wiped it out, fired it up to cook off the Kroil then let it cool. I then used Bullplate on the valve and all the points of contact. It was definetly worth the time. As mdi pointed out, routine maintainance should keep it running like new for years. Thanks mdi!

SciFiJim
06-03-2013, 12:05 AM

Even easier. Use the pot til near empty. Pull the electric plug and prop the pot tilted back to get the lead away from the spout.

When the remaining lead cools, just lift it out to clean the pot.

A pause for the COZ
06-03-2013, 04:12 AM
My 20 pound LEE pot will leak on occasion. No big deal, it drips onto an aluminum plate. Once its at grab able size. Just chuck it back in the pot like a sprue.

Mike W1
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Even easier. Use the pot til near empty. Pull the electric plug and prop the pot tilted back to get the lead away from the spout.

When the remaining lead cools, just lift it out to clean the pot.

Another "why didn't I think of that" to keep on file. Thanks for posting that one!

dromia
06-09-2013, 02:42 AM
I tried every fix on the go to stop the Lee leaking finally fixed the Lee by getting rid of the bottom pour mechanism, plugging the hole and using it as a dipping pot. I then bought proper bottom pour pots from RCBS and Lyman and never looked back.

Life is too short for me to spend it fettling Lee products to do what should have been done in the factory to make them fit for purpose.

Love Life
06-09-2013, 02:47 AM
****Off topic alert****

Rich- I'm having Tim rebarrel my long range thumper from 308 to .243 Winchester. I need to head your way when it's done AND we can shoot the drilling...

Harter66
06-09-2013, 02:50 AM
You're on!

Love Life
06-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Yes siree!! She got a clean bill of health from the doctor!

I need to have the stock refinished. It is an exquisite piece of wood, but I don't want to ruin the character of the gun. Decisions, decisions.

Shedhunter
06-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Mine drips the more lead that's in it, get halfway empty and it quits. It bugs me but the pot works good, still want a RCBS Pro Melt.

Buzzard II
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
My 20 pound LEE pot will leak on occasion. No big deal, it drips onto an aluminum plate. Once its at grab able size. Just chuck it back in the pot like a sprue.

X2! I've been doing this for years!

mold maker
06-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Drips aren't a LEE invention. If your pot has a bottom pour spout, it will eventually leak if you allow dirt in it.
Nothing comes out the bottom that you didn't let in the top.
Are LEE pots perfect, Heck No, but you can buy 3 for less money than 1 on the next step up the price ladder. You do not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get.

OpenNRG
06-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I got my Lee last December when I started getting into casting. Looked at the RCBS and Lyman. Liked both of them but it came down to price and potential for the same amount of money. I had a plan for the Lee and just finished it last week. You can get the Lee, all the add-ons I make, buy a PID from Frozone and still have money left. Would like to see someone start a poll on who uses which casting pot. Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Custom.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?202648-Lee-Furnace-Upgrades

repawn
06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I finally got my lee 4-20. Fired it up loaded with lead - put a small muffin tin under it to catch drips and went to casting. Only cast about 20 lbs or so of lead - but zero drips. I really was expecting a mess based on what I've read about the lee pots. Needless to say, I am very happy with it. Heats up quickly and fills my molds.

gunoil
06-11-2013, 10:08 AM
one of the days Alice, one of these days! Iam gonna get a big 20lb RCBS.

Hardcast416taylor
06-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Buy another knob end from LEE, drill it thru so it can be slid up the valve rod. Screw the original knob back on the rod now. Now you have twice the weight on the valve rod to put pressure on the valve stem to seat better and limit the leak problem. LEE sells the knobs for $2.Robert

repawn
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Buy another knob end from LEE, drill it thru so it can be slid up the valve rod. Screw the original knob back on the rod now. Now you have twice the weight on the valve rod to put pressure on the valve stem to seat better and limit the leak problem. LEE sells the knobs for $2.Robert

My new pot had a metal handle - much heavier than the original wood handle - possibly the reason mine hasn't dropped?

timbuck
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
I took off the wood knob and got a large heavy washer to fit behind it and screwed the knob back on.
Good to go.