PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Summit Press

Bradley
06-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Anyone have any idea what problem this press was designed to solve?

dromia
06-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Don't know if it was designed to solve any problems but it can be used flush on a table top, no overhang.

Screwed to a board it would be very portable and flexible in its mounting requirements, if attached to a longer board like the old Wamadet presses then it can be used on any flat surface without clamping.

mdi
06-01-2013, 12:04 PM
A resurrection of the old Hollywood press style to boost sales?

dromia
06-01-2013, 12:34 PM
More like the Wamadet than the Holywood as it is the die that moves up and down on the case rather than the shell holder moving up and down.

Shedhunter
06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
People like new toys and RCBS plays the game well.

wallenba
06-01-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm trying to come up with a, 'where will it help me', answer. I can't think of one, but I can see that it would be impossible to use Lee sizing die bullet catch container.
Still, RCBS makes good stuff, and I'm sure it will have a niche.

Kevin Rohrer
06-02-2013, 08:57 PM
...but it can be used flush on a table top, no overhang.

That would be my guess. I hate 'kneeknocker' presses. They hurt. :dung_hits_fan:

Johnny_Cyclone
06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
RCBS Summit Press Patriot Edition

The red, white and blue Patriot press will be available in limited quantities.
with monies going to wounded veterans

video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acEOOdLttBM

seagiant
06-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi,
Here's a vid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHoDgBdGYd4

I like the press, but why didn't they just go ahead and make it big enough for the 50 cal.?

Would of been cooler!

Johnny_Cyclone
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Hummm...Interesting

"..Summit has no more flex than a Rockchucker Supreme..."

"..not designed to replace the Rockchucker Supreme... It's just a different way of reloading.."

2013 RCBS Shot Show booth video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97_iFx70TU8

W.R.Buchanan
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Nobody could be as cool as McQueen. I'm pretty sure he invented it.

He lived in Santa Paula CA near the end and I saw him frequently at the Santa Paula Airport where he kept several planes. First time I saw him we talked for 15 minutes and I didn't even realize who he was. He was in his golf cart and Allie McGraw was with him. Didn't recognize either one. He had a scraggly beard, and she didn't look like in the movies.

I looked at the Summit press on their website yesterday and still don't know how much it is. I also saw it in person at the SHOT Show.

I don't need one in any way so if I was going to get one it would have to be a really good deal.

Randy

seagiant
06-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Nobody could be as cool as McQueen. I'm pretty sure he invented it.

He lived in Santa Paula CA near the end and I saw him frequently at the Santa Paula Airport where he kept several planes. First time I saw him we talked for 15 minutes and I didn't even realize who he was. He was in his golf cart and Allie McGraw was with him. Didn't recognize either one. He had a scraggly beard, and she didn't look like in the movies.

I looked at the Summit press on their website yesterday and still don't know how much it is. I also saw it in person at the SHOT Show.

I don't need one in any way so if I was going to get one it would have to be a really good deal.

Randy

Hi,
Nice story Randy, thanks for sharing! McQueen was sort of like Marilyn Monroe to me in that they had something you couldn't put your finger on! There were better looking,bigger men in Hollywood than McQueen and really prettier women than Marilyn but they had a presence that grabbed you! When he went down to the Engine Room in "Sand Pebbles" as Jake Holman and introduced himself to the Engine, that was it for me!

I heard that the loader was SUPPOSE to be about $200. They say made in the USA but I wonder where the iron castings are coming from???

Mal Paso
06-04-2013, 12:13 AM
1. The Summit would be great for right hand feeding. The Rock Chucker, even with a right and left handle positions, still wants to be fed from the left. I think the 180 degree access is the key feature.

2. The Rock Chucker's factory primer catcher is the floor (the primers either miss the catcher or go flying when you unsnap the tray) so if they have a real Primer Catcher.......

TNsailorman
06-04-2013, 07:40 AM
I like my Rockchucker press but if they had been making the Summit way back when, I would have bought it. I don't like having to be careful to clear my legs with the RC handle and I don't like the fact that primers have a habit of gathering behind the primer arm. I do like the fact that the Summit will sit on top of the reloading bench instead of off the edge. Just my idle thoughts anyway, james

thehouseproduct
06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
RCBS Summit Press Patriot Edition

The red, white and blue Patriot press will be available in limited quantities.
with monies going to wounded veterans

video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acEOOdLttBM
That looks good. I'll keep it in mind next time I paint an old press.

Mike Kerr
06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
"Anyone have any idea what problem this press was designed to solve?"

After looking at it I think it is designed to create interest in the product line and hopefully boost sales.

singleshot
06-20-2013, 11:32 PM
So does everyone agree that this is not designed to be stronger than the RC? Sure looks stout...Would a Co-Ax be a stronger press?

EDG
06-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Maybe provide a press with a similiar motion to a Forster Co-Ax. Just something to steal the customers that
are attracted to oddball press configurations.

"Anyone have any idea what problem this press was designed to solve?"

After looking at it I think it is designed to create interest in the product line and hopefully boost sales.

seagiant
06-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Maybe provide a press with a similiar motion to a Forster Co-Ax. Just something to steal the customers that
are attracted to oddball press configurations.

Hey!
I represent that remark!!!

r1kk1
06-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey!
I represent that remark!!!

+1

r1kk1

dkf
06-23-2013, 07:03 PM
The top blocks the view of the case. Would much rather have the Forster CoAx myself.

MT Chambers
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
The Co-ax that I use seems to have more leverage and the parts that generate the leverage seem more robust on the Co-ax....But that looks like a simple, very accessible press, don't know if the parts are robust enough, I'll have to see one up close.

W.R.Buchanan
06-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Despite my earlier criticisms I think the main up side to this tool is the accessability to the cartridge case.

It has certainly got enough leverage to size any case that I will ever be using.

My main usage for a single stage press is the preprocessing of fired cases prior to tumbling. I use the press to size and deprime, or in the case of .40S&W pistol cases I debulge them on the Rockchucker.

I use a variety of methods for loading the preprocessed cases, all of which utilize multi station or multi operation tools.

I don't see any advantage using this tool over the Rockchucker for debulging, however it would be easier for sizing/depriming.

However if you assemble your rounds one operation at a time like many people do, I can see a definate advantage. The clear accessibility from both sides would be a real advantge in cycling your cases thru the tool.

I wouldn't mind having one, I just can't justifiy paying for it.

Randy

3006guns
06-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Well, in my humble opinion, this press looks like a solution searching for a problem. First of all, I have a couple of ancient presses that use the same idea of moving the die instead of the case. They fell out of favor as reloaders began to warm up to the idea of moving the case in and out of a stationary die. Pacific is probably more responsible than anyone with the introduction of their "C" press back in the thirties.

Mention was made of the Hollywood Senior and indeed this press does resemble it....but that's as far as it goes. RCBS states that the Summit has a "massive" 2" column, but the Hollywood measures 2 1/2" which is one heck of a lot more iron plus it has a stationary die and no linkage below the bench.

I noticed in the Shot Show video, the RCBS tech was asked about the rigid mounting as opposed to a floating system. His answer was that there are "two schools of thought". Okay, there's two schools of thought....but no answer as to why RCBS favors the rigid setup.

I'm just not that excited about it and it will be interesting to see if it sells well, although it may very well end up being the "Edsel" of reloading presses....in which case it will become a collector's item!