PDA

View Full Version : Proud grandpa story.

bear67
05-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Talked to a neighbor rancher Monday that I don't often see as he is a lawyer in town besides being a third generation rancher. This is the story he relayed to me.

It seems my 17 year old grandson was driving in a hard rain and he hydroplaned on the farm to market road and went through the fence tearing up about 50' of barbed wire fence and posts. His 15 year old truck was just scratched and the mirrow broken. He did not know who the place belonged to, so he called his dad and obtained the phone number. He called the guys wife and explained what happened and wanted to know if there were livestock in that front pasture. She told him no and he said he would be over in the daylight the next morning to fix the hole in the fence. He told his mom and dad he needed to be over to fix the fence first thing Saturday morning. He and his dad loaded posts and wire and were fixing fence when the lawyer/rancher neighbor drove up. He did not know my son or grandson, but visited with them.

He told the boys that down the years that fence had been breached numerous times, but no one had ever come forward to fix it or even take blame. After 30 or so minutes watching the boy work, he offered him a job for the summer. Trent told him that he had a 40 hour job at a steel fabrication place, but could help him build fence and work cattle on the weekends if he needed help.

The rancher did not know that it was my grandson until he got home and his wife told him. He drove over to my place last Monday to tell me he was impressed with the maturity of my oldest grandson. He was impressed, but his father and I were proud.

Gibbs44
05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Reasonably so, bear. He sounds like he's quite the young man.

300savage
05-31-2013, 10:37 PM
I have had to fix my fences three times this year alone from the same thing and not once has anyone owned up to it.
So I appreciate your grandson, you have a right to be proud.
Your son learned those values he taught to his son somewhere.
I bet it ain't hard to figure where.

williamwaco
05-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Your grandson is a luck man!

He didn't just absorb that attitude out of the air.

He learned it from his family.

He is lucky to have you for a grandfather.

starmac
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
It is all in the raising. It is easier with country kids, but there are some good city kids too. Glad to hear of a kid with a job, a lot claim there are no jobs for them, but my son never had a hard time finding more work than he could handle. So I know a little about the proud bit too. lol

Bzcraig
05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Sounds to me like good values are being taught in the home and probably for at least a couple of generations. Good job Bear!