PDA

View Full Version : Our hunting season is finally over for a few months! (pics!)

429421Cowboy
05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
It ended with a wonderful bear hunt with Miss K on Wednesday, she has wanted a bear for several years now so I try and make sure she gets what she wants! We loaded up and headed for the Beartooth WMA where we usually hunt elk because there certainly are a lot of bears in there over the years of hunting. The beauty of spring bear season vs fall is that the roads are all open now, so we could drive in to the back before starting to hunt, where as they lock all the roads out on September so it is walk in only and a long ways back to where the bears live!
We were watching a meadow along the crick hoping a bear would feed out of the timber, just talking quietly and enjoying the day when she taps me and points to a coyote trotting across the meadow, then asked "Can I shoot him?". Now she and I have been together for two and a half years, and in that time I have never been able to get her her first coyote, so I was pretty excited it might come together! I got out my call i take everywhere and started calling to the 'yote, when all of a sudden two more come boiling right around the hill at us up close! She took the far dog with one shot of her .270, which confused the close pair, just long enough that she nailed one trotting away. Two dead coyotes for two shots, and the first words out of her mouth were "Well there goes $4 worth of Noslers!", I couldn't have been more proud of her, in three hunting seasons I've never once seen her miss or wound an animal. I just wish we could find a bear!
All in all it was a wonderful day, we saw a pile of elk, looked for sheds, played in the crick, caught and released a few Cutthroat trout, shot coyotes and looked for bears, all with an amazing woman and truly my best friend. If you ever have the choice, pick the one that hunts with you! And she's lucky she does hunt with me because we start hunting in August for archery antelope, Sep archery deer-elk, Oct, gun antelope, then Oct-Nov gun deer-elk, Dec, geese then Dec-Feb, late season cow elk, finally ending with spring bear on June 1 so she really wouldn't see me much if she didn't come with!

Smoke4320
05-31-2013, 01:15 PM
yes its so much better when the wife likes to hunt ..makes getting that new rifle or mold a lot easier

NVScouter
05-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Congrats! After years of her being a hunting widdow i took her 3 years ago to watch. This year shes doing to be doing the shooting! Best thing i ever did was buy her a youth rifle of her own.

Good shooting a double on coyotes takes good shooting, bolt work, focus, and true desire!

starmac
05-31-2013, 11:55 PM
A yote double is no small feat, but I bet she lets you know that . lol

429421Cowboy
06-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Thanks guys, she is pretty proud of it and sent the pics to more people than I did!

Hunting with her actually complicates the gun buying issue, because she knows enough to be dangerous, I can't fib about needing a rifle for every different critter up to Bigfoot, all I hear is "Aren't you the same guy that says your 7mag will do fine on any animal in this state and most others?". So I have to be happy with a .243 and a 7mm which keeps life simple and I couldn't mind one bit. She also is very easy going about my loading habit, I remind her how much cheaper it is than my brother's car habit... Or that hauling to a barrel race each week and feeding horses 365 isn't really a cheap habit either! Although I REALLY wanted that 20" Remington M11 Sportsman 12 gauge on the used rack for $199 the other day... till I heard her remind me of the 12, 20 and .410 Wingmasters I already have and shoot everything that is slow enough with...

Hickory
06-01-2013, 07:46 AM
first words out of her mouth were "Well there goes $4 worth of Noslers!"

She sounds like a woman who won't waste ammo, better keep her.

Idaho Mule
06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Just get her a Ruger single-six 22, and Marlin 1894 in 32-20. You will be plenty busy keeping her in ammo. Good job. JW