PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Freightman
05-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Tell me an ease way to put the mainspring in to a CVA side lock I was cleaning it and the spring came out. Also since it is apart is there anything I can do to smooth up the trigger? CVA single trigger Frontier Hunter. Thanks in advance.

grullaguy
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
I had to buy a spring compression tool from Track of the Wolf when I changed my CVA Hawken mainspring. My guess is that it would work for your rifle as well.

Some people have used needle nose vice grips, but notches and scratches in a mainspring are considered a bad thing by most people.

John Taylor
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
get a main spring vice, http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/1038/1

Freightman
05-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Pair of small vice grips fixed it, thanks need to order the spring vice

Col4570
05-31-2013, 06:21 PM
A good trick when removing a Lock spring is to full cock the Hammer,then cut a slot in a piece of flat bar as wide as the compressed spring legs.Trip the Lock and the Spring will come out ready compressed for assembly.To Smooth up the Trigger pull,make sure that constant use has not swept a burr on the full cock notch.This sometimes occurs and causes the Sear to struggle to clear the notch.

Zymurgy50
05-31-2013, 06:54 PM
The next time you remove the mainspring take a rubber abrasive wheel in a dremel and polish the grove where the bottom end of the hammer rides, then take a look at the bottom of the hammer and polish it also. The trick here is just to polish out the rough edges, dont remove too much metal.
I had to have my CVA sear polished and hardened, now it is as smooth as glass.

Freightman
05-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the tip they may be rough but seem to be well made just need a little "LEEMENTING" and you have a rifle that will out last you with care

Dean D.
06-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm glad to hear you got that main spring back in Frank. A main spring vise is a must have IMO.

Concerning the trigger pull I have to say that CVA has a terrible trigger system from what I've experienced. I bought a .45 cal. CVA Kentucky pistol last year and the trigger on it was absolutely horrible! After taking it apart to see what could be done to ease the trigger pull and smooth it up I was shocked to discover that their design actually caused the trigger to LOSE leverage due to the way they pinned it and the resulting geometry. After studying the factory trigger set up I decided to make a new trigger and pin it in the stock rather than use the pivot point on the trigger plate. I re-used the old trigger plate minus the factory trigger and other guts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! That trigger went from about an 8#+ trigger pull down to about 3# and very smooth.

Just an option if you can't get your trigger pull smoothed out the way you want it. Good Luck!

mooman76
06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Some CVA triggers are worse than others depending on when and who made them. None of them are great but some not to bad either. I have an really old one with a real hard trigger. Soots good though but some day I will see what I can do with it. Heck maybe tomarrow.

Boerrancher
06-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I used a very small C clamp and shims to apply even pressure on the spring.

Best wishes

Joe

waksupi
06-02-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm glad to hear you got that main spring back in Frank. A main spring vise is a must have IMO.

Concerning the trigger pull I have to say that CVA has a terrible trigger system from what I've experienced. I bought a .45 cal. CVA Kentucky pistol last year and the trigger on it was absolutely horrible! After taking it apart to see what could be done to ease the trigger pull and smooth it up I was shocked to discover that their design actually caused the trigger to LOSE leverage due to the way they pinned it and the resulting geometry. After studying the factory trigger set up I decided to make a new trigger and pin it in the stock rather than use the pivot point on the trigger plate. I re-used the old trigger plate minus the factory trigger and other guts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! That trigger went from about an 8#+ trigger pull down to about 3# and very smooth.

Just an option if you can't get your trigger pull smoothed out the way you want it. Good Luck!

You have learned well, Grasshopper. ;-)