PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled upon a pre 64 model 70

wallenba
05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I always stop by one of the local gun shops to browse when I go past them. Today, something was on the rack I always coveted, a pre-64 (1961) model 70 Winchester in 30-06. Condition was good, bluing 95% or so, no major dings but a repair made on the toe, done, not so well. Price is $995. Hard to put it back on the rack, but money is not here for that right now. Store would not come down. Maybe in another month, but I'd bet it will be gone by then. Oh well....

376Steyr
05-31-2013, 01:09 PM
I feel your pain. A very nice Model 64 in 32 Special got away from me because I didn't have $995 to spend on a rifle that month. When I'm not strapped for cash, I'm a firm believer in aways yielding to temptation, because I might not get another chance.

country gent
05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
That is a true classic the riflemans rifle. I got lucky when I built my first across the course match rifle. I was looking for 1 of 3 at the time Rem 700 ( short action), Post 64 pre 68 model 70, And the holy grail a true honest to god pre 64 model 70. After several months of looking My friend at the local Gun shop called and I went into the back room. There was a 270 win pre 64 almost pre war model 70 in an old herters stock poorly done, sights missing and trigger in pieces. ( remeber this was going to be built into a match rifle) Barrel was rough and pitted.But the action was solid with that deep lustrous bluing still in great shape. I got it for less than an used 700 remington action would have cost me. A Tubbs fiberglass stock jewel trigger titanium firing pin Hart 6mm 1-7 twist Stainless steel barrel a lot of work and I had my rifle. If they wont come down see if they will accept payments if you really want it. Theres none other for the smoothness of those old Pre 64 model 70s.

45bpcr
05-31-2013, 02:18 PM
1953 Winchester M-70 marksman chambered in 30-06 with a cut out in the receiver for stripper clips.
14X Unertl scope and it also has Redfield Olympic sights.
I only shoot cast out of it as I don't want to wear out an original rifle.
Sorry for the crappy pics but their all I have of it here at work.

45bpcr