PDA

View Full Version : Information Please

3jimbo3
05-30-2013, 10:10 PM
ok.
I have been reloading for many years. I have been casting for a very few years, I still have a lot of trial and error with casting. I enjoy both of these as a hobby and stress reliever to a satisfying extent.

Now I have stumbled into this forum and..... well, now I want to know more about swaging. I have heard about it but I have never really paid enough attention to find out what it is all about. This is very interesting.

My questions are....
1- What kind of tools and equipment do I need? I have seen a lot of different items here and I am wondering how much I am looking at to get started in this craft.
2-Is this sort of the same as the jacketed bullets we buy at the local shops?
3-What exactly is the process for doing this? How difficult is this to do?

Lastly let me say...you guys are truly craftsmen of this. All the pictures I have seen look outstanding and very professional. My hats off to you guys.

thanks for your time and help.

Reload3006
05-30-2013, 10:53 PM
1 depends on how you want to go. .... You can use your reloading press (Probably) or buy a dedicated swaging press Cost is not cheap. but if you understand how much work is involved in the manufacture of the dies and the limited demand you understand the cost. Just an estimate. 1000 for the first caliber and probably around 500ish for every caliber after that as you will not have to duplicate a lot of the tools you would need for the first.
2 yes its as good as the jacketed bullets you buy at the store and even better
The process is weigh your jackets, swage a lead core to go with your jackets and equal the weight of bullet you want, Wash the swaged core, seat the swaged core, then point form.

jgt
05-31-2013, 08:37 AM
The equipment you need is a press, a core swage die, a core seat die, and a point forming die. Other things not usually thought of initially are a core cutter, a core mold, a scale, a micrometer, and a cannelure tool. When I started there was no internet to ask so it took a long time to find people who made and sold swaging tools. I hung out on the bench rest shooters forum and just read the posts. I found out a lot of them made their own bullets so when a new bench rest shooter ask where to get the tools I copied the response and contacted the suppliers. I chose to go with Larry Blackmon in West Monroe, LA. A real gentleman and he was reasonable on his prices. I got his harizontal press and the dies to make thirty and forty-four caliber bullets. He also supplied me with J4 jackets that made some fine bullets. I had a core mold, core cutter, and cannelure cutter. I cast the 44 cores and used lead wire for the thirty calibers. I have since added BT Snipers one step die for 40 caliber cases and cast bullets to make 44 caliber jacketed bullets. If I had it all to do all over again I would do exactly what I did but would squirrel away a lot more jackets. My thirty cal bullets are shot out of an 06 and shoot sub moa groups. My 44's out of a freedom arms 44 shot groups that cluster the bullets into one jagged hole. My eyes are going now so without scoped guns that is no longer possible, but I still have the targets to reflect on and enjoy. Google Bullet Swaging Supply and write larry. He will send you his price list and an order form. You can take it from there.

Cane_man
05-31-2013, 09:28 AM
if you enjoy working with your hands and you have a lathe and drill press you can make your own swaging dies at a fraction of the price of professional retail products... homemade isn't bench rest quality but they punch holes in paper fine and will take down game...

3jimbo3
05-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Ok guys thanks for the direction. I'm going to get started rounding up some things. In this day and economic time I tend to watch my funds and really shop around for the things I need. From the sounds of it this is going to take time and effort to get things I need. And a lot more reading too.

Thak you all for helping me. I'll be back soon with more questions I'm sure