PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading cast boolits for SKS worth it?

ell198679
05-30-2013, 07:28 PM
So I wen't on ebay and bought most of the stuff I needed to reload for my SKS, just need some brass ,which is damn hard to find. The recipe that I have read about is OAL should be about 2.325 and 14.5-15.5 grains of 2400 rifle powder.. Which I suspect is still the same as 2400 magnum pistol powder? Anyone know of a source for 7.62x39 brass? And if in their experience the SKS is rough on the brass that is feed through it? Should magnum large rifle primers be ok to use?I read the sticky for reloading 7.62x39 brass with prices going up it is probably worth to reload now huh especially with cast boolits!

Larry Gibson
05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Reloading cast for the SKS worth it?........is the Pope a Catholic.....does a bear cr*p in the woods?????

The Lee C312-155-2R was designed for the 7.62x39 in the SKS and works very well.

2400 is 2400 if made by Hercules (old) or Alliant (new).

No idea where to get reloadable brass these days. Good berdan primed cases can easily be converted to boxer primers though.

LR magnum primers not needed but can be used (due to shortage) if the load is worked up.

SKS can be very rough on brass and slings it a distance making it hard to find many times. The gas tube can be vented to tame ejection yet remain reliable.

Larry Gibson

ell198679
05-31-2013, 03:26 AM
Will the decrease in pressure from the cast boolit load cause the spent brass to not be ejected as far? I thought you didnt really have to worry about over pressure with magnum primers when loading cast boolits? Of course you can always swich it to a bolty.

jonk
05-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Fortunately I stocked up on Wolf when it was $2.50 a box; that said I have played around with cast, and it usually shoots better than wolf.

14 gr of 2400 dumps the empties right at my feet and isn't hard on the brass at all; though in my Yugo I just turn off the gas. I use the Lee 150 gr tumble lube mold.

shredder
05-31-2013, 08:19 AM
I use the lee mold too and 16 grains of2400. That was the load required to work the action in my gun. It probably has a stiffer spring than most. That load shoots very well in my gun, though the piston head will have a light wash of lead after use. For sure break it down and clean just like you were using corrosive ammo.

The brass I use is from Privi factory ammo that I bought with the gun. Of 100 pieces I still have 80 or so after 2 reloads. The SKS is the most efficient brass scattering machine I have ever met! No kidding, if you want your brass back,be darn careful where you shoot! Long grass is out. Mine will put the brass randomly around me as I shoot, though mostly to the front and right.

dtknowles
05-31-2013, 08:31 AM
Right not a quick check of swap and sell shows some 7.62x39 brass, not best deals but is something

I could part with a few if you get really desperate.

Tim

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201194-Another-7-62x39-Lapua-(KP)-new-unprimed-brass-auction

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?201513-400-clean-amp-polished-7-62x39-berdan-for-the-ingenious-reloaders

pilot
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Do you have a public shooting range near you? There is usually some laying around to pick up at the ones I go to. You have to check for Berdan priming, but about half of it is Boxer that I find.

Larry Gibson
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Only the Yugo SKS has a gas shut off, all the other makes don't.

You can adjust the load down to just give reliable ejection. With full power loads using j bullets at 2350 - 2400 fps or cast C312-155-1Rs at 1800+ fps ejection will be violent w/o the gas shut off. I use 27-28 gr of 4895 with that Lee cast bullet in my Russian and w/o gas tube modification the ejection is violent and cases get lost. Using COWWs = 2% tin and a good NRA 50/50 lube I have yet to lead up the gas tube. Below is how I modified a gas tube. full power loads are now ejected at the 2 - 3 oclock position about 5 - 8' out from the standing position. If you want info how I can post again.

Larry Gibson

ell198679
05-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Sure but luckily I have a Yugo 59/66 with the gas shut off I will probably just shut it off to avoid damaging,losing the brass and leading up the gas piston. And just occasionally run the boolits through on semi if so inclined...

samwithacolt
05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm a relative newb to casting, and I successfully used the lee 160 gr .312 and reloader 7 to shoot some of my best groups yet with my sks. I want to try taming it down some more to keep the brass from flying too far.
I have some alliant 2400 on the way and some tumble lubed bullets ready. I pick up range brass, buy it new and used, convert Berdan, just wherever I can get it. I have whole new love for my Russian lady!

ell198679
06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
I do have spare gas tube that I could modify. Do you drill a hole at the "12 and 3 oclock" position, and then a larger one behind the smaller one in the "12 oclock" position? On both sides right?

Larry Gibson
06-01-2013, 10:13 PM
SKS GAS TUBE MODIFICATION

SKS rifles are notorious for their violent ejection of fired cases. This may be desirable on the Russian tundra at 20 below but for the reloader trying to find the brass it is intolerable. The following modification will allow the rifle to function reliably yet will deposit the brass into a small area to the right front of the shooter. It also will lessen the hazard to bystanders. Velocity of the ammunition used is not effected.

Use standard 7.62x39 ammunition or the equivalent handload with 123-125 grain bullets when making this modification. The gas system of the SKS allows for more than enough gas port pressure to drive the piston back in the gas tube and cycle the action. This was designed this way to ensure absolute reliable functioning in extreme temperatures and conditions. What this modification does is simply to “vent” the gas after it has imparted enough motion to the piston to cycle the action with out driving it so violently back. As this modification vents the gas rather quickly the use of other than standard ammunition to regulate this cycling may cause malfunctions then when standard ammunition is used.

Attention cast bullet shooters: if you want to shoot really reduced loads with light bullets then regulate it with that. With Lee's 312-155 or heavier bullets I've found functioning to be fine with the conversion made for standard ammo. When medium burning powders (4895, etc.) are used and velocity is in the 1600 fps range I've not had any malfunctions.

To accomplish this modification it will require the following tools:

15 drill bits from #45 (smallest) to #31 (largest)
Center punch
Small round file
Electric drill, cordless or hand drill if power is available at range.

Before going to the range remove the gas tube from the SKS and take out the piston. On each side of the gas tube center punch .22” back from the face of the gas tube. Center punch .35” back from the face of the gas tube directly on top. Now drill each with the #45 drill. You will now have 3 holes, one on each side and one on top. The hole on top will be slightly further back from the ones on the sides. Deburr the inside of the tube with the file lightly and reassemble the piston into the tube and assemble it back onto the rifle. Load up the tools, ammo and rifle and head to the range.

Fire 5 rounds and observe the ejection pattern and how violent the action cycles. Drill out the top hole only using one size drill larger at a time. Test firing with at least 3 rounds between each drilling. You must disassemble the gas tube each time to drill.
NOTE:
I have found on several Russian SKSs that with 2 side holes of #45 size and the top hole of #31 size they will lay the brass into and area of about 3 feet diameter about 6-8 feet to my right front when shooting from a sitting position. The recoil of the rifle is much easier to manage as the action is not functioning nearly so violently. A couple have required the 2 side holes to be enlarged to #40 drill bit size.

Several SKSs have required an additional hole .3” behind the top one to subdue the ejection of of 150 gr bullet top end loads. With this tube factory 123 - 125 gr and equivalent loads ejects very softly right outside the SKS. Any reduction other than full loads (I use 22.5 gr H4227 behind the 123 - 125 gr J bullets) results in malfunctions. If the first three holes have not “vented” enough gas then drill this 4th hole. Again starting with the #45 drill bit and going one size larger with a test firing each time. If standard j bullet loads are going to be used with the same tube I suggest test both between each drill size.

CAUTION
It is easy to get impatient and drill to much too quick without adequate test firing, DON’T!! You can’t put the metal back. If you do mess it up new gas tubes are available at gun shows and out of Shotgun News for a reasonable price. If you’re not sure of your abilities get one first and try it before messing up the original. I have not messed any up using the above method. I have one tube (original Chinese tube that does fit the Russian with minimal fitting) that when used on my favorite Russian will lay the brass almost within arms reach.

The photo shows my current 2 tubes. I have done quite a few of these for others but don't have photo's of them. The front tube is the Chinese tube and you can see the larger rear hole. It is the tube I use with my heavier 150 gr cast bullet loads. The rear tube is the original Russian tube and it is drilled for J bullet factory, milsurp and reloads. Switching out tubes is easy and it's nice to have both so you might want to consider getting a second tube also.

Larry Gibson

ell198679
06-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Thank you! I hope you didn't have to type that all out.. :coffeecom

Larry Gibson
06-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I did once.....copy and paste is a wonderful thing:-D

Larry Gibson

ell198679
06-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Figured.. thanks for the info

badbob454
06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
this is the first time i will have to disagree with larry (sorry) but my sks is ''real easy on brass ''no dinks in the side of the case like an ak will do
, perhaps my sks being a russian is different from larrys experiences , i have posted my recipe for sks fodder in the cb loads /military rifle section on the sks sticky , a good read for all sks owners here is a link
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13453-Practical-Dope-on-the-7-62X39

Larry Gibson
06-03-2013, 07:40 PM
My SKS is a Russian also. I don't think you are "disagreeing with me as I never said the SKS was "hard on brass". The modification is to soften the violent ejection so you don't belt the shooters to your right on a covered range with ricocheting brass and so you can find the brass if shooting in the open. I've shot a lot of SKS's, not only ones (all makes) of my own but the company I worked for had 350+ of them that were serious used and abused in training Marines, Soldiers and CBs. I maintained them constantly and TI'd them once a year and shot all of them for function test (10 shots minimum each). In the open they all slung the brass 15 yards to infinity away....not always in the same direction either..........

Yes, you can down load to soften the ejection as in using a faster powder (as done by the OP in that thread) or by reducing the load, either of which also reduces velocity. But if you want to shoot full service velocity level loads with j (2300 – 2400 fps with 120 – 125 gr bullets) or cast bullets (1850 – 2000 fps with the C312-155-1R) and soften ejection you must slow down the bolt velocity. The method above does that easily w/o sacrificing velocity or accuracy.

Just depends on what one wants to do with the SKS.

Larry Gibson

badbob454
06-04-2013, 01:13 AM
agreed you are correct i re read what was stated and yes they do throw the brass , i loasd mine to toss it 4-5 feet with a 180 gr boolit accuracy is great and functions so far flawlessly , don know the velocity but in the 1600-1800 range i think (guesstimation )the boolit is a noe ,314 fn saeco clone feeds and functions exellent / definatly worth re-loading

Ed in North Texas
06-04-2013, 09:18 AM
The brass I use is from Privi factory ammo that I bought with the gun. Of 100 pieces I still have 80 or so after 2 reloads. The SKS is the most efficient brass scattering machine I have ever met! No kidding, if you want your brass back,be darn careful where you shoot! Long grass is out. Mine will put the brass randomly around me as I shoot, though mostly to the front and right.

I'd rate the MAS 49/56 right up there with the best brass scatterers in the world.

arjacobson
06-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I love cast in my sks. Standard load is lees 155 mold- 22 grains of 4198....perfect sks load

lotech
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
I bought two (new ?) SKSs over twenty years ago. Despite the overall crudity of these guns, they did well from an accuracy perspective with cast bullets. In fact, accuracy was somewhat better with cast than with jacketed. I tried many bullets, and without researching a lot of my old data, three of the best were cast from the RCBS 30-180 FN, NEI 155 gr. (no model # but the one designed by C.E. Harris specifically for the SKS - the forerunner of the mould later made by Lee), and an LBT 150 grain spitzer. All these were cast from a material represented as linotype; true hardness was about like Lyman #2. Bullets were sized as large as would safely chamber, around .312" or .313". I don't recall the RCBS bullet as being that "fat", but it still shot well. Gas checks were affixed to all bullets.

Powders included 2230, 1680, H335, IMR4198, 2400, H322, and maybe others. 2230 was probably the overall accuracy champ, but not by much as I recall. Velocities ranged from about 1300-1800, depending on bullet. Seems I used CCI small rifle primers exclusively.

A note about primers and slamfires with the SKS...these guns are probably quite safe with surplus ammo and its hard primers. However, a number of handloaders, myself included, have run into a potentially dangerous situation with these guns when using softer primers, like most of those available to handloaders. One of my guns would occasionally slamfire and/or empty a magazine with one trigger pull. This is not an isolated problem; others have experienced it. I had a gunsmith install an SKS firing pin spring kit (available from Brownells) in both guns. The gun that malfunctioned worked properly and the installation should prevent the other SKS from developing a problem.

ell198679
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Is it cheaper to reload SKS now WITH cast boolits then it is to purchase new production Wolf ammo or the like? I suspect if it is not it will be. With range brass your only spending money on primers, lead and powder. It has got to already be cheaper and if you purchase brass you can obviously keep reloading it.

Fishman
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
I have run a bunch of ammo through one of my sks's with the gas piston removed with no problems. It just functions as a straight pull bolt gun. Another option for those with few brass who don't want to modify their gun.

barnetmill
06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Is it cheaper to reload SKS now WITH cast boolits then it is to purchase new production Wolf ammo or the like? I suspect if it is not it will be. With range brass your only spending money on primers, lead and powder. It has got to already be cheaper and if you purchase brass you can obviously keep reloading it.
Current price with shipping included is $299/1000 or 29.999 cents a round. Figure out your cast bullet costs, brass, powder, primers, and equipment to see if you save money. I know I will save for .308, but I am sitting on the fence for doing 7.62x39.

Copied from a well known internet vendor.
7.62x39 MILITARY GRADE AMMO

1000 or 10,000 ROUNDS DELIVERED
From $299.99/1000

Gunnut 45/454
06-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Shredder
Thats weird as my new to me Yugo seems to put 90% of my brass at the 1:00 o'clock postion at about 3 ft? The only odd ball is usually the last round at about 3-4:00 o'clock. As to finding brass- unfortunately buying bulk isn't going to happen lately. I'm going to reload some steel cases and I bought 2 boxes of PPU FMJ for the brass. Not cheap but hey you gotta do what you gotta do![smilie=1:

ell198679
06-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Cheaper to reload approx 220 per 1000 when reloading brass x 5. If you reload the brass x 24 ,which you probaby could, the price would be more like 140 or so.. That is assuming you buy 200 brass pieces, buy 100 and you would save 50-60 dollars from the get go.;-) Since, you can still buy 1,000 rounds for 220 now..

TCLouis
06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
So Larry Gibson . . .

Do you have a link for converting Berdan brass to Boxer?

Larry Gibson
06-11-2013, 12:29 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143958-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-Boxer

Any questions after reading or when doing just ask.

Larry Gibson

ell198679
06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
All that wasted surplus rifle brass could of been of use... I think they should not use the term unreloadable with surplus rifle brass false advertising. :-(

Larry Gibson
06-11-2013, 07:49 PM
All that wasted surplus rifle brass could of been of use... I think they should not use the term unreloadable with surplus rifle brass false advertising. :-(

Isn't THAT the truth.......

Larry Gibson

uscra112
06-12-2013, 01:05 AM
There's brass galore for sale on Gunbroker.

dkf
06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Sg ammo has some 7.62x39 brass cased boxer primed ammo.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/fiocchi/20-round-box-762x39-fmj-123-grain-premium-ammo-fiocchi-brass-case-boxer-primer-non-m

res45
06-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Cost me about 8 cents per round shooting cast loads in my SKS rifles.